VIP 25006. Really that rare ?

Becket

When seriously collecting the Motown and related desirable Label no's back in the Nineties; I thought the Andantes was an impossible find.
I cannot remember ever seeing or hearing of one for sale ?
Now we have J.M. and T.B. each auctioning one together at the same time.
And T.B. has already sold another this year.

J.M's has a "deletion hole" through it - so who would have done that to delete it ?
I know it may be highly desirable; but is it really that rare ?

Cheers......................             Tom.

Social source share

• Replies 1
  • Views 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I used to think there were only 6 store stockers pressed up originally as the test press run for the first pressing, which was cancelled by Berry Gordy.  I had seen only the 2 of them in The Motown and Jobete Record Files, and the 2 that were originally found by Ron Murphy at ARP, and the copy that was given to Quality Control (Berry Gordy's would have been the other of the 6 test copies. 

But, seeing the copy with the hole pressed into it (for sale at the reduced price, leads me to believe that there might have been a single, small press run made especially for The Andantes (similar to Raynoma Gordy's special press run of 50 of her Little Iva Miracle Record.  I still think it is extremely rare, as I never saw one in circulation.  The hole-pressed one may have bee among records from Motown that had been given to a Detroit store owner.  It's very hard for me to believe that that issue ever got to any stores, as I was visiting Detroit record stores and thrift stores, and visiting distributorships 2 Saturdays a month in 1964, and asking for any new Motown releases, and never saw it.  I saw virtually every record that was actually released.  I Think there were actually small press runs of Kim Weston "A little More love" before the pull-back, and same with Oma Heard on VIP.  But, I believe the only existing Patrice Holloway and Andantes on VIP were the 6 press run test pressings, and then those press runs were cancelled (just like the Frank Wilson), with the possibility that a small batch were pressed up to satisfy The Andantes.  In any case, I think there have been only 5 or 6 copies seen by collectors and people in the industry.  It should still go for very big money.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!