The Last DJ Spot.

Hi guys n gals.

Was wondering how most of you play out the last DJ spot at a evening event.

Do you start with slower stuff and build up to the faster stuff etc?

I might just be doing my first ever last spot and could use a little help in what works best for you guys.

Cheers.

John.

Social source share

9 minutes ago, Majy said:

Hi Guys n Gals.

Was wondering how most of you play out the last DJ spot at a evening event.

Do you start with slower stuff and build up to the faster stuff etc?

I might just be doing my first ever last spot and could use a little help in what works best for you guys.

Cheers.

John.

PS: I hope I have this in the right place now!

Just spin a few original 45s. 

I don’t think you are in the right place actually - probably best in all about the soul. 

Social source share

john

have just merged your 4 individual topics into this one

ask in future to bear in mind that you do not have to post more than once

if you do post in the wrong place just flag the post and a member of the team will 'move' it into the right place

cheers

in answer to ya question, I use the old wiseadvice of...

'always finish on a high!'

Social source share

Cheers Mike.

Could u delete it all and I can post a fresh one plz Mike as its confusing as it is lol.

Thanks for your reply to the question :-)

Cheers.

John.

Social source share

I guess I would if thats what the punters wanted lol.

In all seriousness tho. I would like to know if you guys have a tried and trusted way of doing the last spot in a different way to doing any other spot?

Social source share

1 hour ago, Steve S 60 said:

Just don't play what's already been played by the other DJs earlier on.

15 minutes ago, Majy said:

That's almost impossible isn't it?

Quite right. There are only five records so it's obvious that someone has to have played them.

For what it's worth I'd start off with this and just go faster to the end of the spot. Give 'em a night to remember...

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Don't think you need any qualifications , or to meet any criteria, to play soul music ,  do what you feel , and feel what you do , loads of jocks have done that over the years  , BE A LEADER  /  not a follower .   🎶🎶🎶

42 minutes ago, Hooker1951 said:

Don't take this Personally Mate but I don't thing being a NS DJ is going to be your thing

kind Regards

ML

Social source share

1 hour ago, Majy said:

That's almost impossible isn't it?

I must be witnessing the impossible on a regular basis then.  DJs turning up just to do their own spot so don't know what's already been played, OR seeing a previous DJ getting a good reaction to a particular record and thinking "I'll have some of that".

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

I must be witnessing the impossible on a regular basis then.  DJs turning up just to do their own spot so don't know what's already been played, OR seeing a previous DJ getting a good reaction to a particular record and thinking "I'll have some of that".

I thought he meant it was impossible not to play records that someone had played earlier ?

Which if you only take about 25 records with you and they are all classics more chance than not they will have been played earlier.

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

5 records?  Thought there was 500. ?

1 hour ago, Godzilla said:

Quite right. There are only five records so it's obvious that someone has to have played them.

For what it's worth I'd start off with this and just go faster to the end of the spot. Give 'em a night to remember...

😱

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Shite is right,  but strange world and all that , come on ? 🎭

51 minutes ago, shinehead said:

I would like to think it isn't that, it is shite. 

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

In my opinion there's  hundreds of them , but that's only my opinion , strange world of shite records indeed 

1 hour ago, shinehead said:

That is only my opinion , if someone else thinks its great then its great in their opinion. :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

I'm sitting on the fence on this one. If anyone thinks that record is great then they need their ears syringing.

:boxing:

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Thanks for the replies, even the funny ones :P and yes, THE RAINBOWS record is shite but I did get the joke.

Don't take this Personally Mate but I don't thing being a NS DJ is going to be your thing

kind Regards

ML

I'm not a DJ mate and never will be for that matter. Like I said its just a local gig and none of the people playing the music at this event are either. Were just people who love the music and have decided to put on some evenings and have a damn good time.

Maybe the OP could confirm what he meant.  I used to travel with a DJ to various venues and we'd lug three massive custom made boxes onto the stage, and we'd be there early doors.  Too often you see a DJ turn up with one small box ten minutes before their set.

What I meant is that you are bound to get requests for records that have been played at some point through the night, and as it is your job as a DJ to give the people what they want you would play it for them wouldn't you? Are are you one of those DJ's that play for themselves just to show everyone how much money is in your record box?

Anyway.

Thanks a lot guys :thumbup: most of you have given me an idea as to how I should go about playing the last spot of the night. It is greatly APPRECIATED.

Thanks Again :thumbup:

John

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

SOUL.music.!        probably the most ,opinionated subject in the world. 🎶🎶👅😉✌😱

20 minutes ago, Majy said:

Thanks for the replies, even the funny ones :P and yes, THE RAINBOWS record is shite but I did get the joke.

I'm not a DJ mate and never will be for that matter. Like I said its just a local gig and none of the people playing the music at this event are either. Were just people who love the music and have decided to put on some evenings and have a damn good time.

What I meant is that you are bound to get requests for records that have been played at some point through the night, and as it is your job as a DJ to give the people what they want you would play it for them wouldn't you? Are are you one of those DJ's that play for themselves just to show everyone how much money is in your record box?

Anyway.

Thanks a lot guys :thumbup: most of you have given me an idea as to how I should go about playing the last spot of the night. It is greatly APPRECIATED.

John

1 hour ago, IAN STACEY said:

oh was that another of your witty remarks i got a few opinions none that you would agree with but most are truths 

:sleep3::sleep3::sleep3:

Social source share

oh was that another of your witty remarks i got a few opinions none that you would agree with but most are truths 

Are you saying that the Rainbows record posted above was a Chris King spin? I’m sure you’re right but it’s not sinthing I remember. Probably ok for the majority of prople on marching powder. 

Social source share

yes it was a chris king play 1980/83 was in most his sets at hinckley & scooter rallies it was also covered up for quite a while & bootlegged as the Detroit shakers 

was chatting a few months ago at nuneaton when he played  after me . so i dont know why you would slag the tune off when its packed dance floors for years . i bought it because i so many requests by youngster like jordan wilson  &  ethan ect  .that come to nighters 

Social source share

2 minutes ago, IAN STACEY said:

yes it was a chris king play 1980/83 was in most his sets at hinckley & scooter rallies it was also covered up for quite a while & bootlegged as the Detroit shakers 

was chatting a few months ago at nuneaton when he played  after me . so i dont know why you would slag the tune off when its packed dance floors for years . i bought it because i so many requests by youngster like jordan wilson  &  ethan ect  .that come to nighters 

Ahhh scooter rallies, now I understand :D:thumbup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, IAN STACEY said:

That May as be the case. Like I said I think it’s shite.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

32 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

That May as be the case. Like I said I think it’s shite.

yeah ok ok I know its pantomime season, but no need to act it on here

let's drop this 'so and so is shite' talk and get back to the original topic or move onto something else...

• Up vote 2
Social source share

10 hours ago, Majy said:

Anyway.

John

10 hours ago, Majy said:

Don't know what gave you the impression that I'm a DJ?  Never have been and no intentions of ever being one.  Just a punter who appreciates DJs who put in the effort.  I don't go up and ask for requests, I leave it to the DJ to pick the records.  I'd be interested to hear from any DJs on here what their thoughts are on playing something that's been played previously because somebody wants to hear it again, or wasn't in when it was played.  I've expressed my opinion on the matter based on travelling to venues and paying at the door.  If you're doing a local soul night for local people and are happy to play the same records over and over again, that's fine by me because I won't be there.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

As a punter i hate hearing the same record twice and unless i am the only one then the dj would keep one person (who requested it) happy at the expense of the rest. I once dj'd at an event and someone came up and asked me if i would play the record i had just played again in a minute because his friend liked it and hadnt heard it before! 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, mike said:

yeah ok ok I know its pantomime season, but no need to act it on here

let's drop this 'so and so is shite' talk and get back to the original topic or move onto something else...

2 posts dropped 

as said get back to the original topic!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!