The Last DJ Spot.

3 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

I'd be interested to hear from any DJs on here what their thoughts are on playing something that's been played previously because somebody wants to hear it again, or wasn't in when it was played.  I've expressed my opinion on the matter based on travelling to venues and paying at the door.  If you're doing a local soul night for local people and are happy to play the same records over and over again, that's fine by me because I won't be there.

I personally don't like hearing a record more than once in one night, unless it's a sound that they are trying to 'break'. If so, bring it on - 4 times if ya like!

If it happens with a well known great record, it's not a crime / and it doesn't ruin my night (The DJ may have been in another room when the said record had been played) But I wouldn't play a well known great record for the second time simply because someone wanted to hear it again.

Sorry, not much advise ref the original question about your last spot - I'm still trying to suss it all out myself!

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

18 hours ago, Peter99 said:

I'm sitting on the fence on this one. If anyone thinks that record is great then they need their ears syringing.

:boxing:

:hatsoff2:

Sorry, speak up please! 

Social source share

14 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Are you saying that the Rainbows record posted above was a Chris King spin? I’m sure you’re right but it’s not sinthing I remember. Probably ok for the majority of prople on marching powder. 

It was massive at Wigan in 73!

Majy. Just keep whoever`s left on the dancefloor happy. The last spot (Which i`m also doing this Sat at the Pop Club in Accrington) isn`t the best one to have but usually by then they`ll dance to anything mate. 

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

In my mind the people that we're dancing back in 73 to something like the aforementioned rainbows record , would not have the same mindset today , it certainly wouldn't be a record that most soul folk would like to be played ,  at anytime  , let alone the last spot . how times change , for progressive people maybe ?. ✌🎶🎶

Social source share

2 hours ago, Spain pete said:

In my mind the people that we're dancing back in 73 to something like the aforementioned rainbows record , would not have the same mindset today , it certainly wouldn't be a record that most soul folk would like to be played ,  at anytime  , let alone the last spot . how times change , for progressive people maybe ?. ✌🎶🎶

It just brings back a lot of very good memories of that time. 

Social source share

How about just playing the best soul you have just like everybody should have been playing all night and weighing up the ambience of the crowd at th time in the morning taking into consideration the amount and strength of the narcotics that have been available and of course the alcohol consumption and of course the crowd are they die hard SOULIES or part time SOULIES, feed all this info into a good computer along with your record collection and wait for the formula the first 25 records on the list you've got your spot!  I I can do this without a computer so far but you never know You've got to Laugh or you'd end up insane

kind Regards

ML

Social source share

Cheers once again to all of you for participating in this thread :thumbup:

It seems that no one can agree on any set way to end the night so I will just play to the dance floor and take my lead from them.

Thanks again.

John.

Social source share

33 minutes ago, Majy said:

It seems that no one can agree on any set way to end the night so I will just play to the dance floor and take my lead from them.

Thanks again.

John.

That's the way i do it. Arrive early, see how the floor re-acts to what is being played (but don't copy). i would normally have my last 2 maybe 3 records in mind before i go out but that changes every time depending on the floor and what had previously been played. So just go out there and enjoy yourself.

Social source share

18 hours ago, Steve Lane said:

It was massive at Wigan in 73!

Majy. Just keep whoever`s left on the dancefloor happy. The last spot (Which i`m also doing this Sat at the Pop Club in Accrington) isn`t the best one to have but usually by then they`ll dance to anything mate. 

Well noted.

Not a tune I would expect to hear today,but everyone complains about variety of records played and lazy djing,so where`s the fire?It`s 2 minutes of memories for people.

Having said that ,it is certainly of its time!And it`s not on its own.

Social source share

8 hours ago, Majy said:

Thanks again.

John.

Hi John

you could never agree on a set way to end a night it depends on the venue ,location ambience, what's happened earlier music wise, alchohol , drugs, the crowd , if your ready for those issues you should be able to play a great spot of course depending on what's in your record box, if you read through some of the replies in this thread it should prepare you , anyway good luck 

ML

Social source share

12 hours ago, Majy said:

Thanks again.

John.

Crumbs don't do that! :rofl:

Just kidding - As mentioned, when ya done, whack your play list (Or some of it if doing so isn't your thing) on this thread as a matter of interest, and let us know how you got on.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Social source share

On 12/12/2017 at 00:03, IAN STACEY said:

yes it was a chris king play 1980/83 was in most his sets at hinckley & scooter rallies it was also covered up for quite a while & bootlegged as the Detroit shakers 

was chatting a few months ago at nuneaton when he played  after me . so i dont know why you would slag the tune off when its packed dance floors for years . i bought it because i so many requests by youngster like jordan wilson  &  ethan ect  .that come to nighters 

On 12/12/2017 at 00:07, The Zodiac Club said:

Ahhh scooter rallies, now I understand :D:thumbup:

Like a lot of folk on SS,I used to do the scooter rallies,from '84 to '94,(about 85+rallies all told).Niel Rushton,Chris King,Pete Wid and Kieth Minshull,to name more than a few would also be there on a regular basis(think KM used to bring an old Spaniel along with him,if memery serves).In many ways,at this time,the scooter scene could be partially credited for keeping the Northern Soul "raft"afloat,whilst it was on its journey thru the wilderness years..........:yes:..........:thumbsup:..........

Edited by MGM 1251
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

I go to all nighter`s  once a month and sometimes the same record gets played a couple of times but hey ho if its a good sound I don`t really mind and possibly quite a few of the people in late on were not there at the early play?  so why not play it again.

Back in the days before politics and too many " Police the scene peeps" a record would be played two or three times and no one complained so for what its worth enjoy your spot entertain the crowd ..... just choose some good sounds and play em is my opinion. 

Social source share

On 14/12/2017 at 15:25, MGM 1251 said:

Like a lot of folk on SS,I used to do the scooter rallies,from '84 to '94,(about 85+rallies all told).Niel Rushton,Chris King,Pete Wid and Kieth Minshull,to name more than a few would also be there on a regular basis(think KM used to bring an old Spaniel along with him,if memery serves).In many ways,at this time,the scooter scene could be partially credited for keeping the Northern Soul "raft"afloat,whilst it was on its journey thru the wilderness years..........:yes:..........:thumbsup:..........

I think there’s a lot of truth in that. In the early days scooter scene dos seemed to be good quality Northern, I think Oi and similar slipped in later: only what I heard, I never went

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Hi Guys.

Last spot Playlist - 16/12/2017

Most of the MONSTERS were played earlier in the night but there were still a few I could have a go at.

ENJOY!

invitations - watch out little girl
jades - hotter than fire
jimmy fraser - of hopes and dreams and tombstones
los canarios - get on your knees
otis redding - loving by the pound
flirtations - need your loving
trade martin - work song
roscoe shelton - youre the dream
linda jones - my heart needs a break
friendly people - i aint got nothing but the blues
jackie day - before its too late
eddie floyd - things get better
hal frazier - after closing time
brenda lee jones - youre the love of my life
darrow fletcher - the pain gets a little deeper
sidney barnes - i hurt on the other side
jean wells - with my love and what youve got
big maybelle - i cant wait any longer
john lucien - what a difference love makes
garnet mimms - prove it to me
toni and the showmen - try my love
the pallbearers - music with soul
jack montgomery - baby baby take a chance on me
soul brothers six - thank you baby for loving me
bruce cloud - my book
21st century - shadow of a memory
sweet three - thats the way it is
mike and ray - if you only knew
christopher blue - Happy Just To Be Alive

The spot and the night went down realy well. Cant wait to do it again.

Social source share

10 minutes ago, Majy said:

Hi Guys.

Most of the MONSTERS were played earlier in the night but there were still a few I could have a go at.

ENJOY!

jades - hotter than fire
trade martin - work song
bruce cloud - my book

Nothing wrong with that spot John,something for everybody there( even Los Canarios,proper good Latin "shouter" )...glad for you,that you managed to pull it off..TopMarksTopSpins..:yes:..:thumbsup:..

Social source share

21 minutes ago, Majy said:

Hi Guys.

ENJOY!

jades - hotter than fire
trade martin - work song
bruce cloud - my book

Some great tunes there mate just the kind of stuff i play out myself. Looks like a lot of em could be originals as well so fair bit of moneys worth.Would have kept me happy nice one.

Social source share

38 minutes ago, Patto said:

Some great tunes there mate just the kind of stuff i play out myself. Looks like a lot of em could be originals as well so fair bit of moneys worth.Would have kept me happy nice one.

Cheers mate :thumbup: and to be honest mate I'm not sure what are OV and whats not lol. If I like it I buy it lol simples.

Social source share

52 minutes ago, MGM 1251 said:

Nothing wrong with that spot John,something for everybody there( even Los Canarios,proper good Latin "shouter" )...glad for you,that you managed to pull it off..TopMarksTopSpins..:yes:..:thumbsup:..

Thanks MGM :thumbup: loved every minute of it.

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Sort of set l could play in my front room,   nice soul music , would be nice to hear that lot out as long as there was like minded people at the venue to appreciate music only,  without politics.     👏🎶🎶🎶🎶

1 hour ago, Majy said:

Cheers mate :thumbup: and to be honest mate I'm not sure what are OV and whats not lol. If I like it I buy it lol simples.

19 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

So where is/was the venue  ... ?   Just so we who do care about avoiding boot-playing events can make a note for future reference ... :thumbsup:

Social source share

2 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

So where is/was the venue  ... ?   Just so we who do care about avoiding boot-playing events can make a note for future reference ... :thumbsup:

As you care so much let me know where you send royalties to the artists whose music you play or if you don’t play where you tell the DJ’s to send it?

Social source share

5 hours ago, Majy said:

Hi Guys.

ENJOY!

jades - hotter than fire
trade martin - work song
bruce cloud - my book

Freindly people is  good choice one my old plays  & mr searlings as well 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, tobytyke said:

good cross section of sounds .How long was your spot?

in all honesty mate I couldn't tell you exactly but I think it was about 1 hour 20 ish.

Social source share

10 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

The only events I attend  are ones where the dj now swears upon the manship bootleg book that only ovo is played. Slow night but at least I can sleep xx :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!