Sound file for the Festivals

Still Diggin

9 hours ago, still diggin said:

Just wondering if any one on here has a sound file for the Festivals 'Not gonna let her' on Smash(2196),  Also any info on the group Price exchange Smash(2263), Last 45 on the logo? Excellent deep soul with 'Good love gone bad'. I do have this in my collection, but any info appreciated.

Andy 

ref 'Not Gonna let her change' do have a recording of it somewhere, but can't get at it right now, give us a kick in a few days if no one  else steps up

Social source share

14 hours ago, still diggin said:

Just wondering if any one on here has a sound file for the Festivals 'Not gonna let her' on Smash(2196),  Also any info on the group Price exchange Smash(2263), Last 45 on the logo? Excellent deep soul with 'Good love gone bad'. I do have this in my collection, but any info appreciated.

Andy 

The Festivals is a bit of a rare one. I remember Boba putting up a want for it some time ago and saying he's never seen a copy. Would love to hear the flip.

Andy

Social source share

12 minutes ago, Andy Mac said:

The Festivals is a bit of a rare one. I remember Boba putting up a want for it some time ago and saying he's never seen a copy. Would love to hear the flip.

Andy

I've never seen one either Andy, just happened to look at the Smash discography and there it was. As you know the A side 'Hey girl' came on Blue Rock, infact I sold one on here a few weeks back, But the flip side on this Smash release is a different title. It Would also be interesting to know if there is any unreleased material with their brief stint with Gordy.

Social source share

23 minutes ago, Andy Mac said:

Andy

Yep Bob a used to hound me for my copy, but never got round to sorting anything out with him

not that convinced on how rare it was,  picked it up for 30 quid at a venue  round 2001

I put it on ebay 2 or so years ago and got 20 odd quid for it... !

Social source share

6 minutes ago, mike said:

Yep Bob a used to hound me for my copy, but never got round to sorting anything out with him

not that convinced on how rare it was,  picked it up for 30 quid at a venue  round 2001

more background on this 45 from geezer on amazon...

will get scan/clip etc up tomorrow all being well

That casual approach by Smash wasn't helped at all by the infrequency of releases, evidenced by their next single, the upbeat Hey, Girl (written by Moss and Thomas and not the same as the 1963 Freddie Scott hit), which didn't come out until late October 1968 b/w Not Gonna Let Her as Smash 2196. That, too, should have been seen somewhere on the R&B charts at least. In fact, it did so well on a local/regional basis that another Mercury subsidiary based in Chicago, Blue Rock Records, re-released it early in 1969 b/w a new cut, Checkin' Out, as Blue Rock 4076, again with decent local attention but never breaking nation-wide.

George O'Leary

TOP 500 REVIEWER

https://www.amazon.com/love-youre-gonna-make-single/dp/B00414EHI2

• Up vote 1
Social source share

10 minutes ago, mike said:

I  assume the flip ' Never gonna let her change' was slow?

Social source share

21 minutes ago, mike said:

more background on this 45 from geezer on amazon...

will get scan/clip etc up tomorrow all being well

That casual approach by Smash wasn't helped at all by the infrequency of releases, evidenced by their next single, the upbeat Hey, Girl (written by Moss and Thomas and not the same as the 1963 Freddie Scott hit), which didn't come out until late October 1968 b/w Not Gonna Let Her as Smash 2196. That, too, should have been seen somewhere on the R&B charts at least. In fact, it did so well on a local/regional basis that another Mercury subsidiary based in Chicago, Blue Rock Records, re-released it early in 1969 b/w a new cut, Checkin' Out, as Blue Rock 4076, again with decent local attention but never breaking nation-wide.

George O'Leary

TOP 500 REVIEWER

https://www.amazon.com/love-youre-gonna-make-single/dp/B00414EHI2

Look forward to that Mike. The flip has intrigued me since Bob mentioned it.

Social source share

2 hours ago, Soulskate said:

Almost there....unusual tempo kinda ruins it.

The Festivals.mp4

Many thanks for the sound file. Not what I expected really, however there is that kinda bossa nova feel which was infact similar to the the flip of the Blue Rock 45 ' Checkin out', although a bit more prominent on this track. my illusions of a soulfull ballad have been quashed.

Thanks Again

Andy

Social source share

• 9 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!