• Replies 38
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Spain pete

Congratulations baby ,   ! 🎶🎶🎶. It says beat, most music has a beat   🎶

32 minutes ago, shinehead said:

I thought deep with a beat meant records with a heartfelt lyric with a dance beat .

The Doris album although one of my all time faves hardly qualifies.

Social source share

Deep with a beat? Well,a few beauties just off the top of my head- 'I'll Be Loving You' by The Soul Brothers Six(Atlantic) a masterpiece that's one of THE greats,in my view,with John Ellison's great Deep vocals,lyrics and that killer deep,driving bass line,Betty Lavette's immortal 'Let Me Down Easy'(Calla) another Soul masterwork, Shirley Wahls' 'Why Am I Crying'(King) half of one of the all-time great double siders(coupled with the superb 'That's How Long (I'm Gonna Love You)') and Spencer Wiggins' 'The Breaking Point' which Spencer did a terrific version of at the 100 Club in London last month,backed by an outstanding band.So glad I was there to see it!

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

General Johnson don't walk away  ,  Frankie knuckles   tears ,  paramount four you don't know ,  Leroy Hudson  lucky fellow ,  and the beat go's on 🎶🎶🎶👌😱

Social source share

Guest Shufflin

this seems hard to find, if anyone has one for a fiver please let me know - nice Chicano, lowrider  Soul

Tomi records, T-107

Edited by Shufflin
Social source share

My idea of deep with a beat would be the Eddie Finley record that Dylan posted and my idea of a beat ballad would be something like Tommy Hunt  I'll make you happy. I think vocal phrasing and production might be a key to definition but it's all good music.

Social source share

5 minutes ago, manus said:

My idea of deep with a beat would be the Eddie Finley record that Dylan posted and my idea of a beat ballad would be something like Tommy Hunt  I'll make you happy. I think vocal phrasing and production might be a key to definition but it's all good music.

Just tongue in cheek manus , too much pigeon holing goes on, its all soul music to me whatever the tempo :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

19 hours ago, Spain pete said:

General Johnson don't walk away  ,  Frankie knuckles   tears ,  paramount four you don't know ,  Leroy Hudson  lucky fellow ,  and the beat go's on 🎶🎶🎶👌😱

...you're right about Paramount Fours' "you don't know" being Deep With A Beat.....IMG_0791.thumb.JPG.fd115966c521c93b6470cc185eff57e0.JPG

...but have you tried the other side?.....JUST DEEP...:yes:...:thumbsup:..

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
23 minutes ago, cover-up said:

My understanding of "deep-with-a-beat" was low-rider soul, down-tempo tracks with crisp, verging on "hip-hop" drums. Even if I'm completely wrong, I'd still like to hear more tracks like The Webs "It's So Hard To Break A Habit"...

rare soul, very very nice

Social source share

8 hours ago, cover-up said:

My understanding of "deep-with-a-beat" was low-rider soul, down-tempo tracks with crisp, verging on "hip-hop" drums. Even if I'm completely wrong, I'd still like to hear more tracks like The Webs "It's So Hard To Break A Habit"...

I always find a larger % of low rider is more sweet than deep but i'm sure there will be some great low rider tracks that are deep.  But i think the core low rider sound is sweet soul.

i agree with the drum comnent though.

webs is a great record.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Or this one, possibly my number one deep tune with a beat or without. You know some records you can offload and not miss, well I wouldn't part with this one - Michael Lizzmore 'Promise that you'll wait' (Capitol), superior take on Skip Jackson IMO

I'm With you on this one as i too own a copy, and would not part with it, so good and so soulful, Sheer Bliss

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 18/12/2017 at 22:51, cover-up said:

Talking of 'Hip Hop drums' this track has been sampled quite a bit by several different Rap artists including Cypress Hill,Cannibal Ox and Blak Twang. 

Beautiful record though..:yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!