Al Kent Book

Roburt

At £40 plus I thought this was a no goer. Then I discovered it had over 600 pages to it.

A sample of 109 pages is available via Google books.

I’ve seen most of the images on display except those of Joanne Bratton and Bob Hamilton. Very interesting to see those.

For a first glance I think this looks well written.

The names and record labels are discussed aplenty. NYC, Chicago and Detroit too.

All the way back to 1955.

After GW was sold Al’s name was on most 45’s as either a songwriter or producer.

I’ve always wanted to know why Bob met a violent end and hopefully this will be discussed. I believe it was a drive by shooting in 1969.

Interestingly on a number of pages Al refers to his other brother as Ronnie Savoy rather than Eugene Hamilton.

I’m going to plunk for the ebook at circa £28.

I think it will be well worth it.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Looks like it David. That label still holds its head up high doesn't it! Al Kent's 'Ooh! Pretty lady' was a track I analysed back in the early 90s when I was planning to become a song writer. A great yardstick. 

Social source share

On 12/27/2017 at 13:19, David Meikle said:

I ended up buying the book which arrived today.

At first glance I am excited about the detail but I wish he had done a bit of proof reading on the spelling of names and places. 

When I saw  “Teroshima”, for example, I thought he had been recording in Japan and not on Livernois. Terra Shirma Studios to us fanatics!

Anyway, seems like every other page is dissing Ed Wingate so it’s worth the money alone to get his opinion on his old boss. If Ed was still alive...I wonder.

I glimpsed Aretha Franklin being touted for “The whole world is a stage”. That would have been an interesting version. 

Al talks about potential stars such as Winnie Webb...who? Detroit was full of them.

Norma Toney his wife gets a mention too. I’ll let you read that yourself.

If you are into Detroit facts as much as me then I think you’ll find this book fascinating. More than 600 pages of it too!

If Mr. Wingate were still alive now, you can be 100% certain that Al wouldn't be saying anything but nice things about him.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 12/27/2017 at 13:19, David Meikle said:

I ended up buying the book which arrived today.

At first glance I am excited about the detail but I wish he had done a bit of proof reading on the spelling of names and places. 

When I saw  “Teroshima”, for example, I thought he had been recording in Japan and not on Livernois. Terra Shirma Studios to us fanatics!

Anyway, seems like every other page is dissing Ed Wingate so it’s worth the money alone to get his opinion on his old boss. If Ed was still alive...I wonder.

I glimpsed Aretha Franklin being touted for “The whole world is a stage”. That would have been an interesting version. 

Al talks about potential stars such as Winnie Webb...who? Detroit was full of them.

Norma Toney his wife gets a mention too. I’ll let you read that yourself.

If you are into Detroit facts as much as me then I think you’ll find this book fascinating. More than 600 pages of it too!

600 pages of 1st hand memories of Detroit music during the '50s through the '70s is well £40, even with misspellings.

Social source share

2 hours ago, RobbK said:

600 pages of 1st hand memories of Detroit music during the '50s through the '70s is well £40, even with misspellings.

Perhaps you couldn’t see the Teroshima bit as tongue in cheek?

Labaron Taylor my ass.

Only joking Robb. This book IS well worth the money.

But if this extremely good read is seen as gospel then Ed Wingate’s obituary is possibly in tatters.

I only discovered The Detroit Sound in 1967, but it changed my life COMPLETELY.

It hurts me to read that BG and EW are remembered as less than decent.But they weren’t the only ones in that cut throat industry.

I’m pissed so I must STFU

Buy the book!

Edited by David Meikle
Social source share

2 minutes ago, David Meikle said:

Perhaps you couldn’t see the Teroshima bit as tongue in cheek?

Labaron Taylor my ass.

Only joking Robb. This book IS well worth the money.

But if this extremely good read is seen as gospel then Ed Wingate’s obituary is possibly in tatters.

I only discovered The Detroit Sound in 1967, but it changed my life COMPLETELY.

It hurts me to read that BG and EW are remembered as less than decent.But they weren’t the only ones in that cut throat industry.

I have no sense of humour.  That's why I'm a comedy writer!  :rofl:

The sad thing is that there were many, many record company owners a LOT worse than Gordy.  He was a saint compared to Goldner, Levy, Tarnopol and the like.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!