Any new releases warming the cockles?

Scotters

Guest shrimperman

Hi Steve

Great selections you highlighted ,honestly I cant think of a better time for new music since the Halcyon days of course, keep supporting and promoting new music ...because its out there...and while im here make sure you check The Plainfield Admirations Into BAGs album  Evolution of Our Music, Vol. 1 (Presented by Richard Boyce) for the sublime unissued late 60s New York Produced "I See A Cloud"......Perfection of its type

Mark Merry

Edited by shrimperman
More information provided
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

If I am allowed to post on this thread (hopefully).

All music was once new and fresh, so hearing the hopefuls (like my material and songs) recorded today can be interesting when comparing to the yardsticks of the last 50 years or so. The question is, why bother being creative now as there was so much good stuff back in the day....and also being discovered now. So for me I am creative. I sit at a piano and I like to play a few old tunes, then I try and compose something new with similar nuances. That is who I am. I think as long as there is a good groove, melody and sincerity behind the new music, why not enjoy it. Like I say, Motown was once new and a great yardstick for me to write my songs. Many say try and come up with something new, but how can I? I want to bake a great cake eventually and Motown and Philly are my main influences growing up in the 60/70s and I feel their individual styles are unique. As for new music, I listen, but find the melody excursions poor sometimes, but they grow on me in time.

I have just released a new 12 track album called 'She's always mad about something' by The Delgonives, in fact officially released today, 20th December 2017. It's a production that reflects TSOP or Detroit and I guess somewhere in between, a sort of 60/70s groove. It does not have the lushness of Philly, but the groove is there plus the live instrumentation, drums, bass, guitars, sax, trombones, trumpets etc. And because it is expensive to do, I try and exploit the scenario with different mix ideas hoping they tick the boxes for some. Some like a vocal, some don't, so I try and keep the top line melody with the sax, organ and vibe instrumentals for example. I do go a bit wild with the vibes, normally at the end, as I love what Vince Montana did. 

This version I have just uploaded to Soundcloud is track 9, the Rhythm Plus mix, which starts with solo horns and builds up to a full instrumental. It is not as long as the extended versions, but nevertheless, I think works. It is refreshing to read that others experiment with new releases, it gives hope to the industry whether releasing original material or covers. See what you think about this and also, I have just uploaded a news article on Soul Source about the release (thanks Mike(?) for tweaking the art work to fit, and font sizes):

'She's always mad about something' by The Delgonives - Rhythm Plus Instrumental Mix

Social source share

Guest shrimperman

Hey Dave course I like new new music not just new music that sounds like old stuff...(im trying desperately not to mention the unmentionable so no self promotion from me but... ) my first and foremost is vocal then hook I prefer a bit more grits with my gravy and in all honesty not a fan of Will (My issue with the Will Downing is not his voice ...he can sing its the insipid type glossy production that im not so keen on saying that I did like "I Just Wanna Say Thank You" Off that set but never want to knock anyone because Will is extremely popular and good luck to him just about tastes I suppose and that's far too person specific that's for sure) ,but there were a couple of killers on the Ledisi but just from the last few weeks Cleveland P Jones, Adika Pongo feat Christopher Williams ,Torshia,McArthur,Big Jim I would class as contemporary, then you got the gospel...Intimate Praise, Daemon Brown feat Dea Randle etc etc, The Southern type stuff Leon Beal , Vance Kelly etc  also the throwback style stuff Sharon Jones etc etc that I love ,all in al its really healthy and a fine time for our music so much music out there and available on vinyl cd and mp3.......That's without mentioning all the unreleased and ridiculously rare stuff that's being brought to the market......Soul Music alive and kicking in all its styles and fashions and long may it continue and we be here to talk about it

Social source share

3 hours ago, daved said:

Do you only like new music that sounds old? I like that stuff too but also enjoy, new, new music :D. Recent albums from Ledisi, Will Downing and Kim Tibbs have been pretty good.

Mostly yes :D but I buy and listen to lots of contemporary soul and other types of music too, all tempos. 

I agree, Mark’s superb Soul Sermon show and Mick’s equally great Soul Discovery show + many others are great for hearing new and old alongside each other, which is what I’ve always liked personally. 

To my ears most decent “new” soul sounds “old”..eg the brilliant Kim Tibbs you mention, most of those tracks could be 20-30 years old in their style, but I think with her tracks “Soul!” and “I need you for your love”, it’s that new take on those sweet-spot tempo grooves. 

Anything new with great vocals and production, real instrumentation (not always essential but I prefer to hear) and good quaility recording, soul or otherwise.

I buy and enjoy covers of old songs when done well / differently too. Eg Syleena Johnson’s recent “Rebirth of Soul” album and Martha High’s “Tribute to my Soul Sisters”..both superb albums I think, but equally I hope such talented artists continue to release new and original material as well.

New old, old new, new new. I love how we just keep layering even more genres to this wonderful music! :D:thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I'm not sure about Syleena Johnson's new album although I haven't heard it in full yet. I'm kinda disappointed she's gone in that direction as I though her first three albums were fantastic. Mind you, that was a long time ago now. I haven't heard the Martha High, so will look out for that. The posthumous Sharon Jones is superb.

I think it's quite a bad year for contemporary soul and have bought less new music than I have done for many a year. I have more enjoyed the old stuff that has come out for the first time like the Split Decision Band LP and the Super Disco Edits releases.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest shrimperman

Its a tough one with the Syleena I agree I would love to have heard a full set of new music from her but the economics I suppose says that she has to sell it and new music struggles not necessarily here but in the US ...as for the album as remakes go they were very good......Have to agree wholeheartedly on the Split Decision Band an absolute monsterous set nearly every track a winner, Russell Paines Super Disco Edits label goes from strength to strength with the fabulous Gateway & Bell Telephunk lined up for the new year...We have of course Dave Welding & John Andersons Soul Junction Records who have had another massive year with so much more to come in 2018,then we have Pat Biggerstaffs IZIPHO Soul label with Herby Brown due out in January,There's Cordial records and Athens Of The North all making music that was only available to the few available to everyone and spreading the word.........That's without Kent Records & Expansion so I would say its in a healthy state as long as sales of the music is sustained and the interest is there.....Thing is just getting it out there be it New,Rare,Unreleased or whatever and getting it HEARD is the hard part....The contemporary stuff always goes through more barren periods maybe its all so fragmented it doesn't help with very few DJ's be it club ,radio or internet radio playing across the board that and modern peoples attention spans aren't what they were LOL me included....

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Solar radio Sunday nights ,   mick O'Donnell 8pm  to 10 pm  all things new  and great to these ears.  Followed by eddey edmenson, most things retro  and always good to these ears , couple of sherbets, Sunday night SORTED🍻🎶🎶👍

Social source share

Guest shrimperman

Sorry Rob your so right Hayley is a great label and so many good releases......As For Mick O'Donnell's Soul Discovery its on Solar 6 til 8 Followed By Eddy Edmondsen...Micks A Top Man And A long time supporter of new music

Social source share

Guest shrimperman

As For Bull & The Matadors excellent Release but I have to say the worst spoiler ive ever heard which is sad in some ways that you need to do that but maybe marketing genius because folks will buy the record just not to hear the spoiler LOL....top effort whatever way

Social source share

7 hours ago, daved said:

Do you only like new music that sounds old? I like that stuff too but also enjoy, new, new music :D. Recent albums from Ledisi, Will Downing and Kim Tibbs have been pretty good.

I agree with what you are trying to say Dave, but in some respects  I feel you are looking at this through rose tinted glasses. Tracks like Kim Tibbs 'Move' or Downings 'Since youv'e been gone' sound old, very old. Most of the Artists output mentioned above is without doubt amoungst the best contempory soul one could buy and much of that stuff I have purchased myself. However I fail to see how both musically or from a production perspective these tracks are in anyway showing any advanced status than much of the material I was buying in the mid 90's. Thanks for all the suggestions, some good ones I was not aware of. 

Andy

• Up vote 1
Social source share

58 minutes ago, shrimperman said:

Sorry Rob your so right Hayley is a great label and so many good releases......As For Mick O'Donnell's Soul Discovery its on Solar 6 til 8 Followed By Eddy Edmondsen...Micks A Top Man And A long time supporter of new music

..not forgetting your own great show on Starpoint Mark! :thumbsup:

Anyway, back to new / recent releases, I missed this at the time of release this August, but Cliff Steele kindly sold me one this weekend. Not to all tastes I know but I really like it. Diamond Street Rhythm Machine “Living Harmony” on Gemco. I’ll be honest I was sold on the artwork alone and hadnt even listened to it when I handed over the cash :D

https://www.gemcorecords.com/

Social source share

My favourite old previously unreleased thing recently......great double sider.....in fact the flip could be anything from the best of Phyllis Hyman's 70's catalogue.......

The last cut is my favourite new, new sound but is only any use if you're not obsessed with vinyl.  It crossed my mind how similar the keys are on this to Al Hudson "Spread Love" which in turn got me thinking bout the bigotry of some folk who would proclaim to love Al but wouldn't give this the time of day because it's not on vinyl and/or wasn't made in the 70's.  Pathetic really......

Cheers,

Mark R

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Guest Shufflin

this one is on my pre-order list, limited run white vinyl LP, sounds great, what a band name lol - know nothing at all about this band, a friend recommended them

Social source share

Thanks for the posts so far everyone, please keep it rolling as I’m hungry and need feeding some more new soul over Christmas!  :D

The next couple of 45 releases from Connonball Records sound good to me and can be pre-ordered now for the mid Jan release date:thumbsup:

Social source share

Following on from above I’ve just stumbled on this recent upload into youtube by Cannonball Records which includes a little of the original acetate recording of the huge Big Lee Dowell track from a couple of years ago. A sort of before & after when you play / watch it. Would love to see that untouched original released in that lovely raw slower mix!

Edited by Scotters
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Great shout re Split Decision Band LP and I’ve also really enjoyed that whole album this year :thumbsup:

Another LP which I think worth sharing for anyone not already aware, even though released in 2016 I didnt pick up on it until the start of this year, is The Chapells “Are you ready for the Chapells”..lovingly pulled together by those great guys & gals at Numero and sort of secretly issued under their monthly membership scheme last year rather than sold through stores or dealers etc.

As well as the sublime sides from their 45 releases, some amazing unissued dancers and slowies, a bit lo-fi in places but I love it all the more for that. Great sleeve notes too. Anyway looks like there’s a few still lurking on Discogs etc if anyone needs it. 

Right...pub! Cheers everyone:D

85976889-FADD-4CFF-837F-12FE09B8321C.jpeg

B2B29240-AF1A-4E5A-A96E-833673EBF884.jpeg

Edited by Scotters
Social source share

Thanks to Brian (Len knew him first) Goucher for putting me onto many things again this year, including recent “new old” lp by Sugaray Rayford which has a few very decent tracks including this one. No expense spared on the video but at least its a video..a rare thing itself for real soul releases! :thumbsup:

Edited by Scotters
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I've found this thread fascinating - thanks for starting it Scotters and to everyone who's contributed. I was particularly taken by the Colemine record by Jr Thomas and the Volcanos (What a shame) and got it in the post today from Rook Records.

Can I just ask where you all tend to shop for yours, if you have any sellers you'd recommend who are likely to stock a reasonable range as shown in this thread, and ideally who would have samples to listen to?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Crack of Dawn album good at year end. Simon Law was great earlier in summer.

I2 Love Music compilation

Sheena Johnson as others said - new album is classic soul songs done in original 60's style. Very good contemporary Northern Soul.  Kim Gibbs was great.

Curtis Harding is quite good.  Got but not concentrated on the Eric Roberson triple mini album series yet.

Sedsoul singles and Disco Soul Gold recent compilations.  Hide & Seek comp was great.

Kenny Lattimore album is nice. Funkadelic reworks is fun.  Calvin Richardson, Marc Staggers albums were good.

Diane Shaw in new year (MP3s released but CD in next week or so).

More when I get back to computer.

Tons of new releases due early in 18.

Edited by ThinkSmart
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin

I buy from Bandcamp and US/EU indie labels directly, spend a lot of dosh on Northern but I do like picking up new soul to keep it interesting

for this one I can't post a sound clip nothing on youtube, but the new pre-order Hi Lux 7" record "dance with my baby" is worth checking out, modern soul/jazz funky track, nice female vocal harmonies  with hand clap breaks - the B side sounds like a typical 1960's track ala Maxine Brown style

"Limited run of 100 copies in beautiful translucent lavender with hand-numbered custom sleeve" - all for seven bucks (plus US shipping) - my experience of these things is it will only go up in value once it gets plays over in EU and the record sells out

image.thumb.png.85410b880e114faa935fc8751d1f8c11.png

Edited by Shufflin
add details of B side
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!