LeBam Records & Music

Roburt

A question was asked on another thread about the above outfits.

The 1st evidence of a LeBam company involved with the music biz came in the early 50's when LeBam Music Publishers of Sacramento (Cal) was formed. They existed through to at least the mid 50's, probably longer. A large educational campus in Sacramento was / is Cal State University.

The LeBam Record label itself sprang into life around 1963/64 (to my best of my knowledge) and were Calif based (LA ?). Two of the main guys on the technical / music front at the label were Frank Wedlaw and Andy Belvin. Andy Belvin was a recording artist in his own right on Candix (62), Flashback, Vault (Atco), Rayco & Gee-Kay. Later (in the 70's), he had 45's out on Cal State Music. The Rayco label he cut for was owned by Floyd Ray and is known in NS circles for Nathan Mckinney & Valleyites "Oh How I Love You" (which was cut in Calif and featured the Chambers Bros on backing vocals).

Acts who cut for LeBam included the Rocking Royals, the Vowels (aka Vows -- Morris Chestnut was a member), the Singers (who's 45 was picked up for national release by Loma), King Solomon and Don Pierce.

It seems too much of a coincidence to me that Andy Belvin ended up on the Cal State Music label in the 70's, when LeBam Music had been based out of Sacramento where Cal State Uni is based. 

Little else about the label comes easily to hand, it seems to be another of those record labels who's output was largely ignored at the time and that knowledge on has now slipped away in the mists of time.

LeBamMusicAd53.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Andy Belvin wrote quite a few songs and most of these were assigned (in the 60's / 70's) to Lawana Music (still registered with BMI).

He had stuff cut by the likes of the Carter Brothers (Celeste), the Creators (Misty), the Birds of Paradise (Newman) and in the 70's by Don Thomas & Tommy Bush for Cal State Music Records.

King Solomon (who cut for LeBam) also worked with Frank Wedlaw on other labels. 45's released by him on Don J (prod & arr by Frank Wedlaw), Cadillac (a Wedlaw/ McDaniels Prod), Magum and Resist were assigned to either Wedlaw Music or Lawana Music. Wedlaw also wrote the song he cut for Checker in summer 1961. 

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert