Show Us Your Great Photos (2018)

Amsterdam Russ

4 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

.....and Smokey covered it a few years later.

yep but Anthony came to mind first LOl great pictures by you and the others in this thread...only wish I could take some close up and interesting....only ever have mobile at hand....Asked my brother -in- law to turn car around as saw an owl on the fence....he did but said couldn't get close to take pics clear as it took off then back on fence? hmmm whatever LOL....just didn't want us to wait for some excitement I suppose from the OWL?? 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Venus said:

yep but Anthony came to mind first LOl great pictures by you and the others in this thread...only wish I could take some close up and interesting....only ever have mobile at hand....Asked my brother -in- law to turn car around as saw an owl on the fence....he did but said couldn't get close to take pics clear as it took off then back on fence? hmmm whatever LOL....just didn't want us to wait for some excitement I suppose from the OWL?? 

Thanks Venus.  Keep up the good work with your video clips.  You've uncovered some great stuff.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

Thanks Venus.  Keep up the good work with your video clips.  You've uncovered some great stuff.

Thankyou...Really is greatly appreciated....Wigans Chosen Few clip? I was going to disable comments but it appears those in the video not bothered by negatives? Too many good out way the bad? :-) Enjoy the remainder of your weekend....

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 15:05, martyn pitt said:

I had a bit of a mad 15 minutes Steve, I was getting Brambling, Siskin and my resident Blackcap showed up as well. I had been working, only went down to make a cup of tea, rang back upstairs and got the camera.

My resident Blackcap

556_045.jpg.ac2b78b73bb3ec43dd148f2916f9f44d.jpg

Seen one of those in my garden today , first time I've seen one anywhere in my 60 years  .

It did not use my feeders but I will keep watching, the one in your picture I would assume is the female the one I saw was the male.  

Edited by shinehead
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Dont have a picture but worthy of note..............

I have a sparrow hawk back checking out my garden - it looks like a young male. Whilst they are a top predator and are an indication of a healthy bird population I am in two minds. I had a female hawk about six years ago - obviously nesting nearby with chicks. However over a four week period she picked off everyone of my tame Collared Doves - 7 of them who had become so tame I could feed then by hand and shout them down from the trees. They were each rendered to a neat pile of feathers on the lawn.

GGRRRRR!

Pete

Social source share

1 hour ago, shinehead said:

Seen one of those in my garden today , first time I've seen one anywhere in my 60 years  .

It did not use my feeders but I will keep watching, the one in your picture I would assume is the female the one I saw was the male.  

Graham  . You assume right my friend.  Male has a black  cap.

Steve 

Social source share

2 hours ago, Mark S said:

Close encounter with a jackdaw in Buxton today 

20180208_200620.jpg

Nice photograph Mark. I used to have one or two Jackdaws visit my garden to feed. Last year they must have had a really succesful time breeding - there might have been two pairs or one pair had two clutches of eggs which fledged well. One chick in particular sqwauked non stop, so loudly, we could hardly sleep for weeks. I now have as many as 14 Jackdaws visit every day in a group - they’re a fairly big bird comparatively, and they eat me out of house and home. I’ve never seen so many - in a group they look quite intimidating. They’re a handsome bird and I suspect that they might keep the recently arrived Sparrow Hawk in check. 

ATB

Pete

Edited by Peter99
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Twoshoes said:

Thanks for the tip Martyn, I get some fabulous sunsets opposite my house but never seem to get it right, I  must have taken hundreds over the years as the sun dips down behind the hill , there are windmills on the hills opposite to the sunset which have an pink hue to them as the sun goes down, looking forward to trying your tip. To all you guys and gals  on here who post great photographs many thanks, top thread. 

DSC01569.JPG

Great pic mate.

Fire in the Sky

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

He obviously going to Lend a hand to someone.  Hat, coat , door. 

That's a fantastic picture my friend 

Steve 

Hi Steve. Yes a real piece of history. Not the Bobby Hutton soul man, but the sixteen year old, first treasurer of the Black Panthers American rights movement. Surrendered to the police after a shoot out, hands in the air, yet shot dead, in a hail of twenty police rounds. No change for our black brothers and sisters there then. 

Ive a real passion for social justice and Im massively interested in the continued, African American struggle for equal rights. Bobby Womack, Gil Scot Heron, Sam Dees............

They our brothers and sisters, and whilst a Change is Gonna Come, it ain’t here yet bro. 

Hope you well brother.

Pete

Edited by Peter99
  • Up vote 3
Social source share