Show Us Your Great Photos (2018)

Amsterdam Russ

40 minutes ago, martyn pitt said:

Always an amazing thing to see in the flesh, there was one that I saw on telly with around 1 million birds over Rome, the state of anything parked below their chosen roosting trees was a sight to behold :huh:

Martyn.  I had to run for cover ( pun intended) When they flew overhead luckily for me mate I was only 10 yards away from the hide. The noise when they settled down in the reedbed was also something else. 

Steve 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

44 minutes ago, martyn pitt said:

Always an amazing thing to see in the flesh, there was one that I saw on telly with around 1 million birds over Rome, the state of anything parked below their chosen roosting trees was a sight to behold :huh:

They used to reckon on about a million birds on the Widnes/ runcorn bridge back in the 80,s / 90, s. As you say the mess was unbelievable especially in the late autumn when they had been eating the berries.  Purple poo all over the car, very acidic, you had to wash the car when you got home.

Steve 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

That's a very thought provoking picture Derek.  I received it via a photographer's blog . The local villagers were trying to get the herd of wild elephants away from their crops using thunder flash etc. The baby elephant in the picture wasn't hurt or burnt fortunately.  

There's probably no starling murmuration in Bradford now mate. 

Steve 

Social source share

36 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Brrr. Got to get off this ice. Quick march

Was he off to get a last second bid on e-bay ? :yes:

For the non nerds the bird is a Snipe ... their camouflage is brilliant when they get in amongst the vegetation at the edge of a body of water, I had one fly in and land 10 yds in front of me, I watched it all the way, could I see it after it had landed, not a chance. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

50 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Opps. Forgot to tell people what it was . Heres a picture that perfectly describes what Martyn was talking about. Camouflage perfection

Steve

IMG_6073.JPG

My missus just biggered it and couldn't find um 😂great stuff chaps amazin 👍👍👍👍 atb baz :lol:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
On 2/26/2018 at 14:18, Winsford Soul said:

They used to reckon on about a million birds on the Widnes/ runcorn bridge back in the 80,s / 90, s. As you say the mess was unbelievable especially in the late autumn when they had been eating the berries.  Purple poo all over the car, very acidic, you had to wash the car when you got home.

Steve 

we were hiking around Windermere area last week and took the ferry to Ambleside , anyway on the way you passed the islands on the lake - all the trees on them are dead due to the acid in the cormorants poo killing the leaves

Spike Island Widnes near the now 2 bridges is still popular for bird watchers, walk the dog there -  there was a guy a few days ago taking pics of birdlife in the woodland bits, impressively large camera on a tripod

Social source share

8 minutes ago, shufflin said:

we were hiking around Windermere area last week and took the ferry to Ambleside , anyway on the way you passed the islands on the lake - all the trees on them are dead due to the acid in the cormorants poo killing the leaves

Spike Island Widnes near the now 2 bridges is still popular for bird watchers, walk the dog there -  there was a guy a few days ago taking pics of birdlife in the woodland bits, impressively large camera on a tripod

I'm from Widnes originally. Ditton.  Still go there on a weekly basis to see my son's.  Love spike island n Pickering pasture. Spent half my life fishing the clinc/ flash n sniggy amongst others.  Are you from Widnes  ? 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Russell Gilbert said:

We were in Rome last weekend, in part as tourists and also to attend the Roma Soul City 10th anniversary niter.

Not that I needed reminding but thanks Russ for posting the pics , we were in Rome last March where I popped the question at night time by the Trevi, Lou wondered what the heck was going on as I asked the girl sat next to us to film the proposal, Lou was moaning it's  taking her some time to take the photo what's she waiting for..Happy memories, we were lucky enough to be there on the Sunday when it's free in the Colosseum. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 24/02/2018 at 21:51, Winsford Soul said:

Murmuration of approx. 100,000 Starlings 

Steve

IB2A4555.JPG

Fantastic..that's beautiful.

On 28/02/2018 at 16:47, Winsford Soul said:

Oystercatcher

IB2A4600 (2).JPG

Hehehe .

I love the look on it's face..that's a bird on a mission for sure ! 

Super photo's there mate.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

11 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Smashing photographs Steve and Martyn

thanks for sharing.

Has anyone been watching Hugh’s Wild West? Nature programme based around the Forest of Dean and the Wye Valley? Superb viewing with lots of camera craft.

Pete

🙂

Good morning sir  :hatsoff2:Trust your well and keeping safe in this awful weather.  Thanks for your lovely comments regarding the photos.  :yes: yes I've been watching Hughs wild west series. Very enjoyable . Some nice shots but you really have to congratulate the researchers on their hard work and commitment knowing the mileage and hours I put in to get some of my photographs . But all in all a great series 

Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 03/03/2018 at 00:10, Peter99 said:

Smashing photographs Steve and Martyn

thanks for sharing.

Has anyone been watching Hugh’s Wild West? Nature programme based around the Forest of Dean and the Wye Valley? Superb viewing with lots of camera craft.

Pete

🙂

Pete. Just watched the couple of Hughs wild west on the BBC iPlayer that i had missed and it  had a person signing on the right hand side.  When I researched this its non removable on the later version's when the original is out of date.  Anyone else noticed this 

Steve 

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

Just been looking at a drone camera.  But not a normal one. A underwater one that can dive to 100metres, with a 5 hour battery life. Full 1080 HD.  all for £1699. I'm so tempted. It would take my photography to another level and open up a whole new world of opportunity . Has anyone any experience of this type of photography  ? 

Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share