Show Us Your Great Photos (2018)

Amsterdam Russ

23 hours ago, Soulfinger said:

And the wonderful kids at work made this for me (with the help of a professional artist - on Facebook as Smashed Hits: Broken vinyl artwork.). No decent records were harmed in its construction.

IMG_2396.JPG

That's great,very impressive ! 

I'd actually love one of those for myself..

I've  just been taking a look at some of the pretty amazing work on the guy's website this morning which is definitely worth checking.   

http://www.smashedhits.co.uk/phone/index.html

Thanks for posting and all the best for your retirement Soulfinger !...:hatsoff2:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Mods please remove if deemed inappropriate to the thread as I say not wishing to hijack the photo thread  Slightly off topic but as someone who appreciates all the wildlife photos posted I was writing for my own amusement a poem inspired by Martyn's great photo of the Pheasant and needed to do a bit of research as to shooting seasons, we all know about seasons for Grouse shooting but I was shocked to see that there are permitted times to shoot Coot/Moorhen and Snipe, I'm neither a birdwatcher nor hunter but for the life of me I can't understand why anyone would want to shoot a Moorhen or some of the other birds that actually have a permitted season. Anyone on here enlighten me as to whether people do actually intentionally shoot Moorhen, Common Snipe, is there a Trophy list amongst the shooting fraternity like there is with Big Game hunters, not trying or wishing to start a debate on the rights or wrongs of Shooting as a sport just interested if anyone has the answer. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

38 minutes ago, soulandy said:

Happy belated new year :-)

Great photos as always on here and I'll put a few up that Ive got just recently.

Three from a very warm spring like day on Snowdon on Tuesday 13 March. Clear views from the summit, a Chinook flyby and a very still calm reflection of the horseshoe from Plas y Benin that had the photographers out in force. Great day

DSC00881.JPG

DSC00897.JPG

DSC00971.JPG

Fantastic picture's mate

Steve

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Andy. There's Parakeets all over Manchester.  Had them fly over the car in Middleton.  Heard them calling near my house in Blackley.  

Steve 

Yes Steve, have heard all about them. Lots around Chorlton/sale but a first for me. A mate of mine who works in the pest control has been called out a few times about them. Can cause a bit of damage as well.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

28 minutes ago, martyn pitt said:

Johnny ... I hope you don't mind, but the quality is actually pretty good, focus is spot on, the problem is that camera light meters assume averages when automatically working out exposure, so they expect everything to be a mid grey colour, which is why most shots of the snow people take look grey, the camera has under exposed, the opposite happens if you were taking an image of a predominately black coloured bird.

Back in the days of film I picked up a handy saying that has always stuck in the memory banks - Add light to white - most cameras have an E/V adjustment option, what you need to do is dial in around +1 possibly +2, (it's digital try one and see), this will correct the cameras metering. For a predominately black coloured subject apply the opposite and apply a -1 to -2 E/V adjustment

You can always tweak it later in Photoshop Elements or something similar that allows basic adjustment.

I spent all of 60 seconds in  Photoshop Elements on your Sparrowhawk, adjusted the levels and contrast a touch, and got this 

SHawk.jpg.15f82d6a17b9847dc51d3eb3f6c73b7b.jpg

Cheers Martyn that looks brilliant now. I never get round to faffing with my camera properly, usually point, click and hope for the best (got the dogs dragging me about usually lol). Great advice, going to have a full day faffing when I get time, don't even know what half the settings on the camera are for .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Johnny Jones said:

eers Martyn that looks brilliant now. I never get round to faffing with my camera properly, usually point, click and hope for the best (got the dogs dragging me about usually lol). Great advice, going to have a full day faffing when I get time, don't even know what half the settings on the camera are for .

Snap to that, no pun intended, 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Twoshoes said:

I've been trying to catch this moment for ages but by the time I get the camera out and get outside the moment has gone, Windmill on moor opposite my house, it's great when it's misty and they disappear altogether, I have a love hate relationship with them, when they put them up they assured us we would not see any, this was the first one they put up. Suddenly found myself one night at sunset taking pictures of the bloody things s the sun on the opposite side of the valley setting gave them a pink hue, never really managed to catch that colour either... 

DSC01482.JPG

That's ethereal.  Fantastic mate.

Steve 

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

50 minutes ago, Twoshoes said:

Sunrise opposite my house, any tips Martyn, is it the same rule you mentioned for sunsets I've taken quite a few but they always end up quite dark like this one

DSC01589.JPG

I'm assuming what Martyn said about sunsets applies to sunrise mate. Trouble is that he is so short he would have problems seeing the sun that low on the horizon and have to wait until it's rose higher in the sky.

Steve 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 18/03/2018 at 12:10, baz1 said:

She's made me build a snowman :wicked:march 18th its madness

IMG_20180318_120317.jpg

That’s s woman’s work Baz. You should be holed up somewhere warm, with a bottle of decent spirits, barking out words of encouragement. I dunno what this country’s coming to.

🤨

Social source share

13 hours ago, Twoshoes said:

Sunrise opposite my house, any tips Martyn, is it the same rule you mentioned for sunsets I've taken quite a few but they always end up quite dark like this one

Not for the same reason, but you can add E/V to brighten the image, try +1 or +2 see which gives the result you want. At least with digital you can use a bit of trial and error. 

Sunsets and sunrise are tricky to get right because of the extreme contrast in the scene.

To make the orange hues deeper set the white balance to cloudy or shade.

I would recommend the following book to anyone keen to learn the mysteries of taking good images, it is concise and written in plain english so it is easy to follow  Digital Exposure Handbook   

Edited by martyn pitt
link added
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
11 minutes ago, martyn pitt said:

They certainly love a scrap, as do swans, they can be really vicious 

Swans take no messing from anyone, stand their ground & hiss like mad if my dog goes anywhere near, I keep her well away from them (as I should ofc)

Social source share