walking with family today in country hall field, found this, only one

image.png

Edited by Shufflin
size
Social source share

10 hours ago, shufflin said:

walking with family today in country hall field, found this, only one

image.png

It's not a native, it's Anemone coronaria, easily grown in light to sandy soil in full sun.  Slugs and eelworms like them, as does powdery mildew, but otherwise trouble free.  Soak the dried rhizomes overnight before planting.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Spent the morning looking for the first returning Swallows of the year. For the last two years I have been lucky enough to see them on the 27th March but today wasn't my time.  This date is the earliest that I have ever seen them in the UK so maybe the recent bad weather has stopped them returning as early this year. Three Sand Martins did fly through

Steve

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Bloody hell Steve - they are truly professional photographs. Absolutely stunning mate.

Pete

Thanks mate much appreciated :hatsoff2:bit grainy with pushing the ISO due to the awful weather and light conditions this morning but the lake was as flat as a mill pond. 

Steve 

Social source share

2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Spent the morning looking for the first returning Swallows of the year. For the last two years I have been lucky enough to see them on the 27th March but today wasn't my time.  This date is the earliest that I have ever seen them in the UK so maybe the recent bad weather has stopped them returning as early this year. Three Sand Martins did fly through

Steve

Steve, I'm not surprised, they're only just returning here, saw a couple of swift yesterday and the swallows came back the middle of last week, I think you'll be lucky to see them return to the UK within the next couple of weeks.

Dave

• Up vote 1
Social source share

24 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Johnny, Little tip mate, The birds can get their claws caught in the mesh and trapped , sometimes dying. Please use proper feeders .

Steve

Thanks Steve, i have proper feeders up in my garden, i took this on a walk i go on with the dogs, somebody fills the trees(at the end of the walk near a pond) every week with a mixture of peanut,fatball and seed feeders. These netted fatballs were new this week, (so i assume a different person had put these up)i will pass on your tip if i see them , cheers.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Johnny Jones said:

Thanks Steve, i have proper feeders up in my garden, i took this on a walk i go on with the dogs, somebody fills the trees(at the end of the walk near a pond) every week with a mixture of peanut,fatball and seed feeders. These netted fatballs were new this week, (so i assume a different person had put these up)i will pass on your tip if i see them , cheers.

Thanks Johnny,:hatsoff2: Wasn't  sure about posting it  and I didn't really think that you would be responsible after seeing how you care in your photographs.

Steve

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 27/03/2018 at 16:04, Winsford Soul said:

Steve

Didn't get to see any Swallows again today but I did get to see my first returning Hirundines of the year . Sand Martins X 6 at lunch time.

No photographs unfortunately, seen through binoculars at about 500 metres distance

Forgot to add that I saw a butterfly as I was driving home from Pennington flash, didn't get chance to identify it. 

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, martyn pitt said:

A Buzzard overhead, I kept still and tried not to look like a rabbit ... looks like it has lost a primary, possibly a squabble with a Crow

565_025.jpg.8358120e15af6fcc1a5b128b0319ac98.jpg

Martyn. It's a good job you had your big lens with you just in case you had to fight it off. Or you could have hid beneath it. :wicked:

Lovely photo as always mate :thumbup:

Steve

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

40 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Drake Pintail Duck

IB2A5048 (2).JPG

You really should start looking to get some of these pictures out there Steve - you're pics are now as good as any I see in publications. Well done mate - Im proud of you for the hours you have put in.

Pete

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Don't know what this lovely little flower is called.  Similar to a blue bell.  Dave ? 

Steve 

20180327_133555.jpg

It's a hyacinth Steve, probably a variety of Hyacinthus orientalis, the garden hyacinth, and a weakened flower from not getting enough fertiliser.  The Bluebell is Hyacinthoides non-scripta and curls over at the end with the flower stalks not being so robust.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

23 minutes ago, TattooDave said:

It's a hyacinth Steve, probably a variety of Hyacinthus orientalis, the garden hyacinth, and a weakened flower from not getting enough fertiliser.  The Bluebell is Hyacinthoides non-scripta and curls over at the end with the flower stalks not being so robust.

Thanks Dave.  It's growing at Pennington flash country park in a heavily wooded area.  There were 3 others near by.  I knew it wasn't a Bluebell but that it was similar.  

Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thanks Dave.  It's growing at Pennington flash country park in a heavily wooded area.  There were 3 others near by.  I knew it wasn't a Bluebell but that it was similar.  

Steve 

It probably got dumped there after flowering, they survive for a short while without fertiliser, but gradually weaken to nothing.  Voles like to eat the stems under the soil surface, so they weaken them too.

• Up vote 2
Social source share