Show Us Your Great Photos (2018)

Amsterdam Russ

16 minutes ago, Rick Cooper said:

In our back garden we have a few shrubs and small trees. One of these has had masses of flowers this year and for the last week has been invaded by loads of bees and wasps. Anyone identify the plant.

DSCF6931.thumb.JPG.136e20a39beffb4923e0ed9954652a67.JPG

DSCF6934.thumb.JPG.cf4786aa59241569793b00165f1b5048.JPG

This year all the flowering trees round here seem to have had a very good year and insects look to be a lot more numerous. Is it the same everywhere?

Rick. Same here in Manchester.  It's been a great year up to now.

Proper winter and spring with plenty of snow and ice normally resets nature's calendar properly and we're now bearing the fruits so to speak.  As you say loads of pollen for the insects. 

Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

55 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Wow! Looks great Steve. Happy hunting - with the camera ibviousky. I hope you and Lou have a fantastic time and that the weather holds up for you. 

Pete. 

Thank you my friend  :thumbup:. It's a gorgeous place. No traffic , No noise apart from bird song. After the noise of Manchester it's awesome.  

Trust your well sir :D:D:D

Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 20:11, Rick Cooper said:

In our back garden we have a few shrubs and small trees. One of these has had masses of flowers this year and for the last week has been invaded by loads of bees and wasps. Anyone identify the plant.

DSCF6931.thumb.JPG.136e20a39beffb4923e0ed9954652a67.JPG

DSCF6934.thumb.JPG.cf4786aa59241569793b00165f1b5048.JPG

This year all the flowering trees round here seem to have had a very good year and insects look to be a lot more numerous. Is it the same everywhere?

Looks like Cherry plum to me, Prunus cerasifera.  Makes a good hedge.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, soulandy said:

Wow, again. Many thanks.That's the second thing I've won this year, the first being another most liked photo on here 😳

Some great photo's of everything, posted on this thread so I'm humbled.

Cheers 👍

You're clearly taking photos that people really appreciate, so keep on keeping on. More of the same, please! 📸

• Up vote 1
Social source share

19 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Me swimming in the Irish Sea , Caldy Island

Steve

Swimming off Caldy.jpg

Nice one Steve. Was it cold?

I've recently started to go for a swim every Sunday lunch time at a leisure centre nearby. I love the water but hadn't been for over ten years due to my being a porker and depression. I'm enjoying it and getting a bit fitter. 

Pete

2 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Caldy Abbey, founded by Cistercian Monks. The Island itself can trace its recorded history back 1500 years 

Steve

Caldy Abbey.jpg

Wow!

Social source share

1 minute ago, Peter99 said:

Nice one Steve. Was it cold?

I've recently started to go for a swim every Sunday lunch time at a leisure centre nearby. I love the water but hadn't been for over ten years due to my being a porker and depression. I'm enjoying it and getting a bit fitter. 

Pete

Wow!

Thanks mate. It was a bit chilly to start with but once I got in properly it was fine, love swimming .

Great to hear that you have started swimming again it really is good for you.

Caldy Island is a 20 minute ( £13.00 ) boat ride from Tenby and is owned by the monks, there's also a few families who live on the island ( I,m not jealous) .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, Twoshoes said:

Great sky at the back of my house tonight, the Windmills are around four miles away, pictures were taken about twenty mins apart

Just realised the top photo is very similar to one I posted some time ago when we had that period of fantastic skies night after night difference being this one was taken  towards the opposite end of the hill opposite my house, don't know how others feel about windmills but I have them on the hills at the front of my house and to the side at the back with the threat of more on the hill directly opposite most of which is owned by the National Trust so hopefully they won't be successful.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Twoshoes said:

Just realised the top photo is very similar to one I posted some time ago when we had that period of fantastic skies night after night difference being this one was taken  towards the opposite end of the hill opposite my house, don't know how others feel about windmills but I have them on the hills at the front of my house and to the side at the back with the threat of more on the hill directly opposite most of which is owned by the National Trust so hopefully they won't be successful.

Blots on the land and sea scape.  They're the most unsightly things.  I would much rather have a  few nuclear power stations serving the whole of the UK. 

Steve 

Social source share

Guest MBarrett
2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Blots on the land and sea scape.  They're the most unsightly things.  I would much rather have a  few nuclear power stations serving the whole of the UK. 

Steve 

I was with my brother a while back and we went past a wind turbine near where he lives. It was a really still day but the blade was turning. I remarked to him how incredibly efficient they must be but he said "Oh no they regularly turn on a motor to turn the blade to try and con the locals that it's generating electricity - whereas it's actually consuming electricity." I don't think he was deliberately winding me up. Is that possible??!! 😮

Social source share

8 minutes ago, MBarrett said:

I don't think he was deliberately winding me up. Is that possible??!!

It would not surprise me, I'm led to believe they also turn them off when there's enough power going into the national grid, a mate of mine has an app on his phone that tells you at any given time how much power is going into the National grid and what percentage is from what source eg:wind turbines ,power stations etc. My beef with them is once erected you cannot escape them, you can see them for miles in what is fast becoming every direction plus their efficiency is still in doubt with a lot of people, anyway rant over back to the photographs. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, MBarrett said:

I was with my brother a while back and we went past a wind turbine near where he lives. It was a really still day but the blade was turning. I remarked to him how incredibly efficient they must be but he said "Oh no they regularly turn on a motor to turn the blade to try and con the locals that it's generating electricity - whereas it's actually consuming electricity." I don't think he was deliberately winding me up. Is that possible??!! 😮

. I've heard that they're that inefficient the Germans are not building anymore and not replacing damaged one's.  Don't know how true.

Steve 

Social source share

41 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

. I've heard that they're that inefficient the Germans are not building anymore and not replacing damaged one's.  Don't know how true.

Steve 

if true Steve that's great  for the ones near me, they came from Germany I think and are still serviced by the Germans, so much for the jobs they were going to create.  Someone post a photo quick before I hang myself from a blade with all this windmill chat ☹ 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Great stuff pete👍 I've got birds coming within two feet of me at home about 8 o'clock at night but one false move and they're off 😂 might try the hand out with meal worms see if I can get the same results 😂 thanks for sharing m8.atb baz

• Up vote 1
Social source share

18 hours ago, baz1 said:

Great stuff pete👍 I've got birds coming within two feet of me at home about 8 o'clock at night but one false move and they're off 😂 might try the hand out with meal worms see if I can get the same results 😂 thanks for sharing m8.atb baz

Who,s that Baz.  Shelly and her mate ? 😎

Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share