Show Us Your Great Photos (2018)

Amsterdam Russ

1 hour ago, crazylegs said:

Can anyone help in identifying this caterpillar?

They arrived yesterday by the 1000's, our terrace is overrun with them, they are about an inch long.  I'm very concerned that they may be dangerous for Clyde my gorgeous boy.

Any help out there? Don't forget we are on the Balearic islands

Thanks in Advance 

Sharron x

Presentation1.jpg

Presentation2.jpg

Hi Sharon.  Hope you and Steve  are well. It looks like a Pine Processionary  caterpillar.  Google it for advice regarding pets and humans.  

Steve.  X

Social source share

17 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Hi Sharon.  Hope you and Steve  are well. It looks like a Pine Processionary  caterpillar.  Google it for advice regarding pets and humans.  

Steve.  X

Thanks Steve

We are well thank you. The one I thought I really could rule out was the processionary, as they come in the spring time and they are orange/brown/blue in colour these seem to be black and white or a faint yellow and they are not walking in procession.

We live overlooking fields and in part the sea, as this has never happened before as long as we have lived here, I'm thinking they may have blown in from North Africa or the farmer has disturbed some beasties while he has been turning the soil....its all very unusual, and I cant find anything on the interweb....

They are not on any of the fruit trees or plants as I can see and they just appeared yesterday........so I'm at a loss, but I'm sure someone on here will come up trumps for me (we need a new expression there so I don't have to use HIS name)

Best wishes to you and yours 

x

Social source share

57 minutes ago, crazylegs said:

Thanks Steve

We are well thank you. The one I thought I really could rule out was the processionary, as they come in the spring time and they are orange/brown/blue in colour these seem to be black and white or a faint yellow and they are not walking in procession.

We live overlooking fields and in part the sea, as this has never happened before as long as we have lived here, I'm thinking they may have blown in from North Africa or the farmer has disturbed some beasties while he has been turning the soil....its all very unusual, and I cant find anything on the interweb....

They are not on any of the fruit trees or plants as I can see and they just appeared yesterday........so I'm at a loss, but I'm sure someone on here will come up trumps for me (we need a new expression there so I don't have to use HIS name)

Best wishes to you and yours 

x

Sharron.  We good thanks.  The Processionary is the only one I know out your way, but if it's hairy don't touch is the general rule.  Hairs stick in your skin. 

Steve.  X

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, crazylegs said:

They arrived yesterday by the 1000's, our terrace is overrun with them, they are about an inch long.  I'm very concerned that they may be dangerous for Clyde my gorgeous boy.

Thanks in Advance 

Sharron x

Presentation1.jpg

Presentation2.jpg

Hi Sharron,

it's probably the large white, they eat cruciferae, cabbage, cauliflower, alyssum etc.  I had an influx of them last year about this time and managed to get several to pupate and fly off, they shouldn't harm Clyde, my Happy came to no harm.  Babyboy is the one that should know for definite.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Soulman58 said:

The boys off to Nepal with his school on Friday so I've said to look out to see if these dudes are still around.

img118.jpg

More likely to see Sadhus in India than Nepal, they have their own aura, though sometimes I wonder if that's just a dyslexic's spelling of aroma.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Soulman58 said:

The boys off to Nepal with his school on Friday so I've said to look out to see if these dudes are still around.

img118.jpg

Bloody hell.  Nepal.  WOW how good is that. I went the Trough  of Bowland. Lancashire on my school trip and I lived in Lancashire 

Steve 

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

29 minutes ago, martyn pitt said:

Cheers Steve, she is a bit shorter than me, her brother is just over 6ft.

It was great Steve, and she looked stunning, I was a very proud Dad yesterday, Carol took the photo, she caught it just right

Well chuffed for you mate. All that practice at Willington  last week that Carol had with the camera paid off . Definitely one to be printed off and framed. 

Social source share

2 hours ago, Peter99 said:

So from beauty to the beast! Here's Ace, aka, the beast or lump. The pictures provide little context as regard the size of him - he's huge. Someone asked me in the week what he was - a Bengali Tiger. 

ace6.JPG.0426e437dd38341765f4319829953a76.JPGace7.JPG.63e8c1375e7682b83752097993806473.JPG

Middle name looks like mischief to me pete 😂😂😂 atb baz 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

35 minutes ago, stevegods said:

Ness Gardens on the Wirral , Sat morning , before going to see Soul ll Soul at the Philamonic Liverpool .... very disappointing ... as was the warm up DJ . 

Whoever did the sound wants his hearing tested . I know the Phil has an acoustics all of its own , but surely they should have had it sorted better than it was. Quite a few punters left well before the end. 

16ABFD91-E35B-4E8F-A152-E96D48FE5118.jpeg

72D92FB1-E584-4C2C-9ABD-EA6F2FCE88A8.jpeg

AE460C0D-68D6-418A-BAAD-CA9D2D304C1F.jpeg

3830E802-00BD-49E8-84AC-E76E3C9479F1.jpeg

Steve. I try to get to Ness botanical gardens at least once a year normally after a morning  visit to RSPB Burton Mere wetlands.  It's so different from most gardens that are open to the public.  Doesn't quite match Bodnant for me personally but well worth a visit 

Steve 

Social source share

On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:29, crazylegs said:

Thanks in Advance 

Sharron x

Presentation1.jpg

Presentation2.jpg

Crimson Speckled. Google 'Utetheisa pulchella larva' for the Larval stage.

Eta: I see someone beat me to it. Good call.

10252.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

@Winsford Soul Half expected you to be down 'ere chasing the Cat Birds. One or two sighted around Sennen and Lands End area, huge furore with literally hundreds of Ornithologists chasing them.

4221396001_5850340488001_5850333275001-vs.jpg

I know mate. Two guys from local patch origanly had gone down to see the white rumped Swift which is even more rare in the UK  but they missed that bird but apparently they where in the right place for the cat bird as rare as it is it has been seen on our shores before on a few occasions . Im not a twitcher just a lover of wildlife in general who happens to take more bird pictures than anything else 

Steve 

Social source share

Just now, Winsford Soul said:

I know mate. Two guys from local patch origanly had gone down to see the white rumped Swift which is even more rare in the UK  but they missed that bird but apparently they where in the right place for the cat bird as rare as it is it has been seen on our shores before on a few occasions . Im not a twitcher just a lover of wildlife in general who happens to take more bird pictures than anything else 

Steve 

Some of the birding pics I've seen of yours have been stunning, hence me associating you with Ornithology! :hatsoff2:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

49 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Steve. I try to get to Ness botanical gardens at least once a year normally after a morning  visit to RSPB Burton Mere wetlands.  It's so different from most gardens that are open to the public.  Doesn't quite match Bodnant for me personally but well worth a visit 

Steve 

Steve mate , hope you are well ... 

I love Ness , and we took a stoll around Burton Mere before we went ... I have never got round to visiting Bodnant , but think we must next year.

and I don’t know what a Cat Bird looks like , but I’m in Sennen every year , so will I’ll keep an ear out for a bird that meows :) 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Some of the birding pics I've seen of yours have been stunning, hence me associating you with Ornithology! :hatsoff2:

Thank you kind sir :hatsoff2:having spent years outside fishing,  walking and  generally just mooching about the countryside you can sometimes second guess what they're going to do and be ready with the camera. 

Steve 

Social source share

3 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Not that I know of Dave, the Larval stage is carnivorous but the adult stage may have a fondness for the flowers of the Currant family, you got me there old son! All t'best pal! :hatsoff2:

I love hoverflies, we get a totally different one here, but it does a good job nonetheless.  I'll have to do a little more research, it seems like it might be a coincidence

Social source share

29 minutes ago, TattooDave said:

I love hoverflies, we get a totally different one here, but it does a good job nonetheless.  I'll have to do a little more research, it seems like it might be a coincidence

This one just a very familiar species common everywhere however they are used in the industry as being very good indicators of the health of certain specific habitats, some being very particular about where they live and breed.

They are also very useful for controlling commercial pest species biologically, especially Aphids.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

19 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

This one just a very familiar species common everywhere however they are used in the industry as being very good indicators of the health of certain specific habitats, some being very particular about where they live and breed.

They are also very useful for controlling commercial pest species biologically, especially Aphids.

Living in a fairly urban location we don't see a lot of aphids here, I tend to squish the aphids if they dare land on the fresh foliage of my bonsai.  I did look up the scientific nomenclature of the local species, Eristalis Aeneus, and apparently their larval stage feed on rotting sea weed, there's no accounting for taste.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

23 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Probably a bit of a wander from the usual subjects covered here but quite like these pictures I took last year to post on a fb group. Had this Bass since I were 17 and she's been everywhere with me, I've done in excess of a thousand gigs with her, everywhere from Glastonbury to Oswestry and very many studio sessions. Although she looks mint in pictures and onstage she is actually considerably beat up when examined close up. With string muter engaged and Fender Flatwound strings getting on for twenty years old (the strings) matched with this lovely vintage Vox she is perfect for that classic vintage McCartneyesque tone. With neck pickup only switched in she has that lovely rich tone ala Jamerson, actually in the right hands the tonal possibilities are endless, I do have other vintage basses but this one is my baby and can be seen most weekends in a club somewhere in the extreme southwest! :hatsoff2:

20180215_161406.jpg

20180215_161838.jpg

20180215_161846.jpg

Whilst I appreciate your obvious love for what you do. I personally don't have a musical bone in my body, never learned to or wanted to play any musical instrument in any way shape or form. I don't even know the difference between a bass guitar and a lead guitar,  just heard they saying.  I know a acoustic guitar isn't electric but is there such a thing as a acoustic bass or lead guitar  ? Excuse my ignorance 

Steve 

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Whilst I appreciate your obvious love for what you do. I personally don't have a musical bone in my body, never learned to or wanted to play any musical instrument in any way shape or form. 

Steve 

No, but you are a music lover Steve, without you people like me wouldn't exist. It has been asked elsewhere in the forums if a knowledge of the mechanics of the music may lead to a loss of the mystique and affect ones' listening pleasure... It can!

Without the appreciative persons' ear and love of music the musicians' existence is futile, so pat yourself on the back, music is only another form of Mathematics anyway! 

Anyway it's a nice piece of woodwork at any rate, my 'stick' as it is affectionately known! :hatsoff2:

• Up vote 3
Social source share