Show Us Your Great Photos (2018)

Amsterdam Russ

3 hours ago, Andrew Jordan said:

Great shot to win the competition. I never realized Blackpool was such a Mecca for photo opportunity.

Fantastic shot, for sure. What's particularly great is that the guy went looking for the photo - it wasn't just a lucky capture. Everything was planned out in advance: he picked his location, composed the shot, and waited for the right conditions to come along, and it paid off big time!

Social source share

6 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Fantastic shot, for sure. What's particularly great is that the guy went looking for the photo - it wasn't just a lucky capture. Everything was planned out in advance: he picked his location, composed the shot, and waited for the right conditions to come along, and it paid off big time!

Russell.  Most wildlife and landscape photography is planned.  Especially the one's that are printed in magazines. Apart from the obvious weasel on the woodpeckers back which I'm still not sure about it's authenticity they are spur of the moment photographs but you still need to have your camera with you which on a way I suppose is planned 

Steve 

Social source share

27 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Russell.  Most wildlife and landscape photography is planned.  Especially the one's that are printed in magazines. Apart from the obvious weasel on the woodpeckers back which I'm still not sure about it's authenticity they are spur of the moment photographs but you still need to have your camera with you which on a way I suppose is planned 

Steve 

Having a camera with you is certainly a good start, Steve! 😉 And absolutely, professionals will typically go out with a clear idea of what they want to photograph, usually scouting locations and potential light conditions well in advance. 

And as with anything to do with nature photography, a certain amount of luck or good fortune is always going to be a factor. Now as Kylie would say, I should be so lucky, lucky, lucky... 😂

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Having a camera with you is certainly a good start, Steve! 😉 And absolutely, professionals will typically go out with a clear idea of what they want to photograph, usually scouting locations and potential light conditions well in advance. 

And as with anything to do with nature photography, a certain amount of luck or good fortune is always going to be a factor. Now as Kylie would say, I should be so lucky, lucky, lucky... 😂

Luck play's a massive part mate. I've only managed to get glimpses of otters.  Simon king turned up at a nature reserve that I go to hopefully see otters and yes two otters turned up on que and spent the next 2 hours fishing and feeding no more than 15 ft away . He must have thought it was that easy all the time. 

Steve 

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Luck play's a massive part mate. I've only managed to get glimpses of otters.  Simon king turned up at a nature reserve that I go to hopefully see otters and yes two otters turned up on que and spent the next 2 hours fishing and feeding no more than 15 ft away . He must have thought it was that easy all the time. 

Steve 

Sure they weren’t just little actors in otter suits?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

It's that time of the year again when Sinterklaas (Sint-Nicolaas) arrives in the Netherlands having sailed from Spain by boat. The Sint is always accompanied by his entourage of Zwarte Pieten (Black Petes).

Putting to one side the annual national argument about whether dressing up as Zwarte Piet is racist or not, I managed to capture this portrait of a Piet from the comfort of our 2nd floor apartment where I was watching the afternoon's Sinterklaas celebrations through an open window (and with camera at the ready). Have to say I'm absolutely delighted with it!

_DSC5820-Crop-Portrait-web.thumb.jpg.92794206b460d88d25ddb2b955d24470.jpg 

You're my wife now!

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 17/11/2018 at 15:47, Amsterdam Russ said:

It's that time of the year again when Sinterklaas (Sint-Nicolaas) arrives in the Netherlands having sailed from Spain by boat. The Sint is always accompanied by his entourage of Zwarte Pieten (Black Petes).

Putting to one side the annual national argument about whether dressing up as Zwarte Piet is racist or not, I managed to capture this portrait of a Piet from the comfort of our 2nd floor apartment where I was watching the afternoon's Sinterklaas celebrations through an open window (and with camera at the ready). Have to say I'm absolutely delighted with it!

_DSC5820-Crop-Portrait-web.thumb.jpg.92794206b460d88d25ddb2b955d24470.jpg 

Grr! That looks like a blue eyed Santa. Must be a boot leg.

Pete

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 17/11/2018 at 19:23, Steve S 60 said:

A few from Sicily, starting with Taormina, then Isola Bella and finally Savoca, where some of the scenes for The Godfather were filmed.....

20181117_191042.thumb.jpg.30db7eb809a81705a1d1cc04a1ad05c0.jpgFB_IMG_1542481677819.thumb.jpg.6a9f4ba042aa1bb8e4622d98c054f487.jpgFB_IMG_1542481652074.thumb.jpg.4e64909d81f53a8072ea240320064b03.jpg

Those are the kind of pictures that call me to Italy, Spain and Greece and the like. Nice one Steve.

Pete

• Up vote 2
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Thats a cracker Steve. Love to you and Lou. Keep the pictures coming.

Pete

Good Evening Sir :hatsoff2:Thank you very much, we both well :D

Getting very choosey about actually pressing the shutter button on the camera never mind posting them on various media sites. 

Hope your keeping well my friend.

How's Ace settling down now that you have had him a few weeks and you have both gotten used to each others company ?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, middleman said:

Few from last week, not up to some of the standard on here but hope you like.

83E1EAC4-4FFD-4820-B378-92126067DBFA.jpeg

212DB12D-C0CA-4504-9BAF-A0CEDBEE35B4.jpeg

65F82B74-F91E-46EE-ABA7-2913A26F8842.jpeg

17B91D08-E3E9-4BF0-BF39-00DD263F8EB3.jpeg

I think that we're all after the same result whether camera and lens or mobile phone picture. We want to share our experience's amongst friends. I love to see pictures that I will probably never get chance to take myself and enjoy them for what they are.

I would love to have taken those Dolphin pictures . Think they're fantastic, I've never seen them from a boat only the coast 

Steve

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

I think that we're all after the same result whether camera and lens or mobile phone picture. We want to share our experience's amongst friends. I love to see pictures that I will probably never get chance to take myself and enjoy them for what they are.

I would love to have taken those Dolphin pictures . Think they're fantastic, I've never seen them from a boat only the coast 

Steve

That’s very kind of you, thank you.

Some of yours are amazing by the way, including the recent ones of the blackbird where I particularly like the composition.

Cheers

Another Steve.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 minutes ago, middleman said:

That’s very kind of you, thank you.

Some of yours are amazing by the way, including the recent ones of the blackbird where I particularly like the composition.

Cheers

Another Steve.

Your Welcome. And thank you.

Steve must be the most common name on here and I've got Smith as a bonus surname.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Peter99 said:

Those are the kind of pictures that call me to Italy, Spain and Greece and the like. Nice one Steve.

Pete

Don't bother with the Costa del Sol, it's been throwing it down most of the day, and the rain in Spain runs down the side of the road as they don't clean the drains

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Little & Large

Edit: Someone viewing this on a small device might not see the cat in the background, hence the title.

P1070280RE.JPG

Edited by Guest
Social source share

3 hours ago, stevegods said:

Not Antoney Gormely statue at my home town ..Crosby ? 

Either way what a great idea ... wish I’d done it ! 

Yes, indeed. The very one.  I can only take the credit for the photo.  The artistic licence belongs to someone else. 

Social source share