Show Us Your Great Photos (2018)

Amsterdam Russ

39 minutes ago, Russell Gilbert said:

A new year and a new photo thread to keep us entertained through the months ahead.

My first addition is something suitably seasonal - a wintery scene taken in the Amsterdam woods.

DSC_1212-web.jpg.403007fb2d1c4c9deefe4ade26a6e734.jpg

All contributions very much welcomed, and if the photos we've seen in previous years is anything to go by, we've a lot to look forward to.

Enjoy!

Thanks Russell.  Your efforts are much appreciated mate.  Hoping to get out with the camera this week before I'm  back in work on Friday.  

Steve 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Has everybody had there camera's stolen. ?  Nobody's posted anything since 2nd  January.  Including myself.  Weather / Lighting  on my days off has been awful which is stopping me at the moment . Forecast good for next Wednesday onwards frosts and blue skies.  So hopefully I will manage to get out and about.  

Steve 

Social source share

17 hours ago, Mal C said:

Thought I’d add a few here is Granada with the Sierra Nevada in the background, and the Alhambra at it’s best :-)

Really like the bottom photo, been looking at it for ages, it has a kind of ethereal quality to it if that makes sense, I was once on a poetry board where the weekly theme revolved around writing a poem about a photograph posted by someone, I feel inspiration coming on.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, martyn pitt said:

Well it was nice to get out in the fresh air for a change, unfortunately the light was pants (sorry for resorting to technical terms), and there were not many birds about.

Anyway this Goldcrest was scurrying about in the trees behind the hide

552_060.jpg.07418ef0bf2d9e94df430ab9eaa939ef.jpg

Dispite having seen this bird on numerous occasions, I would have never spotted the difference in colour between the legs and feet/claws. A great piece of photography.

Thanks Andy

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Taken today in the church grounds nr me. Narcissus . Don't think I have ever seen them flower in January 

Steve 

IMG-20180113-WA0000.jpg

Believe it or not Steve there's a variety called November gold, or at least there used to be, usually it flowered in December, so they probably changed it's name.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 13/01/2018 at 12:33, Twoshoes said:

Really like the bottom photo, been looking at it for ages, it has a kind of ethereal quality to it if that makes sense, I was once on a poetry board where the weekly theme revolved around writing a poem about a photograph posted by someone, I feel inspiration coming on.

Just seen your reply, wow that’s great praise, thank you 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

It would be good to maybe post up a title or little poem for some of the great pictures that are very inspirational. Would that ruin the thread? Russ - its your thread, what do you think? If that was a goer we could restrict it to serious words/poems, and only have one per picture - the first person to post up bags it?

Any views - maybe a separate thread where we could copy the pictures across with a caption/short poem. What does everyone think?

Pete

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 20:06, Peter99 said:

It would be good to maybe post up a title or little poem for some of the great pictures that are very inspirational. Would that ruin the thread? Russ - its your thread, what do you think? If that was a goer we could restrict it to serious words/poems, and only have one per picture - the first person to post up bags it?

Any views - maybe a separate thread where we could copy the pictures across with a caption/short poem. What does everyone think?

Pete

Peter. Trust your well my friend  :hatsoff2: Personally I think its a nice idea. not everyone has a camera, not everyone is poetically or literary minded so perhaps combining the two could work. 

Steve

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 15/01/2018 at 21:06, Peter99 said:

Pete

3 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Peter. Trust your well my friend  :hatsoff2: Personally I think its a nice idea. not everyone has a camera, not everyone is poetically or literary minded so perhaps combining the two could work. 

Steve

Pete, could be an interesting idea, so why not go for it in this thread. 

Might also look at doing a “photo(s) of the month” kind of thing and highlight the picture or pictures that get the most upvotes/likes at the end of a month. Not a competition as such - just a bit of acknowledgement for pics folks have liked the best. Worth a go, guys and gals?

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Typo
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Sure, billy I’ll post it up....

on another note I’m currently teaching photography to a couple teenagers,  I set briefs every week, the same ones I recived back at Bournville art college in the late 8ts,  might post some of their work here, maybe folk can add some captions or text...

they are all starting off so technically their work will reflect that,  but their ideas are great...

mal 

Social source share

4 hours ago, Mal C said:

Sure, billy I’ll post it up....

on another note I’m currently teaching photography to a couple teenagers,  I set briefs every week, the same ones I recived back at Bournville art college in the late 8ts,  might post some of their work here, maybe folk can add some captions or text...

they are all starting off so technically their work will reflect that,  but their ideas are great...

mal 

Mal. That's sounds fantastic, teaching and passing on your knowledge.  Would love it with their  permission for you to post there progress over time.  I've never had any formal training with my camera, all self taught and still only a novice. just a love of nature and a small amount of knowledge into bird and animal behaviour that allows me to get the photographs that i do. 

Steve 

Social source share

Just a thought regarding photographs.  Has anyone set themselves a target or must get picture for this year ? 

I have. Would love to get more birds of prey pictures especially Red Kites and buzzards. I think there's a lot of room for improvement in my birds in flight photography so that's another way to go. 

Would love to hear your thoughts 

Steve 

Social source share

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 14:25, Winsford Soul said:

Goldfinch. On Tweezle seed head

Steve

IB2A4196 (2).JPG

Great picture of a lovely bird that seems to be more abundant now in gardens in the towns and cities, waste land perfect growing conditions for Teasel And Thistle and their ability to take advantage of feeders.

Had 7 on my feeders today , the most I have counted around the feeders was 30 in the summer.

I always thought they were shy birds but there as bold as brass round here.

Social source share

25 minutes ago, shinehead said:

Great picture of a lovely bird that seems to be more abundant now in gardens in the towns and cities, waste land perfect growing conditions for Teasel And Thistle and their ability to take advantage of feeders.

Had 7 on my feeders today , the most I have counted around the feeders was 30 in the summer.

I always thought they were shy birds but there as bold as brass round here.

Thanks Graham.  They have really enjoyed the last few years as a breeding species in the UK and are in the top ten birds according to the RSPB big garden Bird  watch. I get up to 14  at anyone  time on my feeders on the garden.  As you rightly point out they're as bold as brass .

Steve 

Social source share

11 hours ago, suzannek said:

Happy New Year all 😀😍 Just some fungi taken down the Gaunless Valley Circular Walk woods.  Great variety. Blusher Mushroom; Wood/Jelly/Jews Ears, not sure what the next one is.  One after is an Olive Oysterling, Leafy Brain Fungus, Bracket fungus Ganoderm Applanatum, not sure of bottom corner one. Grissette and an Orange Birch Bolete.  Healthy woods these 20180126_201933-COLLAGE.thumb.jpg.da468ef51393f7e9dcd253fa4b60020a.jpg

Happy New Year lovely. Looking forward to seeing your pics Suz.

p

• Up vote 1
Social source share