mike

audio track list topics

Currently have a fair few song list type topics running

while sure that some do enjoy reading and contributing to these topics, the amount is a concern as feel if too many they may have a negative effect on other topics in the main aats forum

some off the cuff thoughts...

have a time limit of say a week or two?

move to freebasing or plays forums?

new forum for such types ?

any suggestions/thoughts?

at this moment - the 4 leading  topics displayed in the "all about the soul" forum are all audio youtube list type topics

bit of a concern

so any members thoughts on above post are most welcome...

Hi Mike,

Just my thoughts..

I don't tend to have much to do with them, either reading or contributing. But, the fact that they are there doesn't impact on my enjoyment of the rest of the site.

So, if some folks do like adding to them and get something from them, that's nice to see. It can be a source of people finding sounds that they didn't know about and end up liking them. Also, as there are new enthusiastic members joining, much of the content of such threads is new to them, while longstanding members may have seen the content come up a number of times in the past and can't be bothered.

So, I'd say, the number of them at any time isn't a problem to me. 

Cheers

KB

Hi Mike

as you know i have one running. the A-Z females.

We're at Q now...so not much further to go to Z ( and there won't be many Q's). I only put one up per "letter" and it was nigh on impossible to legislate for multiple same letter uploads by the same person ( some uploaded 4,5, or 6). In some ways it shows their passion.

I'll re-iterate rules based on your concerns, and If yuo think it's too much let me know, i'll close it.

cheers

ken

39 minutes ago, bo diddley said:

Hi Mike,

Just my thoughts..

I don't tend to have much to do with them, either reading or contributing. But, the fact that they are there doesn't impact on my enjoyment of the rest of the site.

So, if some folks do like adding to them and get something from them, that's nice to see. It can be a source of people finding sounds that they didn't know about and end up liking them. Also, as there are new enthusiastic members joining, much of the content of such threads is new to them, while longstanding members may have seen the content come up a number of times in the past and can't be bothered.

So, I'd say, the number of them at any time isn't a problem to me. 

Cheers

KB

thanks for passing on views Kev

17 minutes ago, Kenb said:

Hi Mike

as you know i have one running. the A-Z females.

We're at Q now...so not much further to go to Z ( and there won't be many Q's). I only put one up per "letter" and it was nigh on impossible to legislate for multiple same letter uploads by the same person ( some uploaded 4,5, or 6). In some ways it shows their passion.

I'll re-iterate rules based on your concerns, and If yuo think it's too much let me know, i'll close it.

cheers

ken

thanks for views Ken

still weighing things up though, so maybe best holding on before re-iterating things:thumbsup:

Over the last couple of years I've deliberately avoided any and all threads on here in which people post and repost audio from YouTube. That's simply because neither my aged iMac with an older version of Safari nor my outdated iPad can cope with the resources required to load them. Trying to view such threads always causes Safari - on both devices - to seize up or crash.

I've learned a lot of new tracks and artists from these kinds of threads. I can see that they might irritate some people, although I don't understand why. Will happily abide by whatever rulings are made as the forum is too important to get hung up on this one issue alone, but just so that it is also recognised that the sharing of knowledge comes in various forms, YouTube clips included. And more often than not, a clip posting will trigger memories, arguments, queries, etc. All good stuff.

I enjoy the threads and occasionally contribute, I've been introduced to many new tunes through such threads.  I think the threads would improve if posters quoting a particular post could do so without actually re posting the youtube link, I don't know if it's my computer but some of the pages take ages to load all the video clips so the reposting doesn't help and I know I've been guilty of it in the past myself. Ken's A to Z has been great but if people had followed his initial request to post just the one tune the thread would long since have finished. My concern and I'm no techno wizard is how much room you have on the server and do such threads impact on cloud space or whatever your limits are if in fact there are any.

On the whole I'm for such threads , I may well be wrong but to me there does seem to be more interaction on these threads and less long running discussion threads than there used to be. Then again a lot of the long running threads I remember centred on the more controversial side of things, the film, the tv programme , Mr Levine's records etc

On 1/4/2018 at 21:36, Mickey Finn said:

I've learned a lot of new tracks and artists from these kinds of threads. I can see that they might irritate some people, although I don't understand why. Will happily abide by whatever rulings are made as the forum is too important to get hung up on this one issue alone, but just so that it is also recognised that the sharing of knowledge comes in various forms, YouTube clips included. And more often than not, a clip posting will trigger memories, arguments, queries, etc. All good stuff.

thanks for taking time to pass on your views

the main concern is not so much the topics but the effect a large amount of similar may be having on the forum

if someone posts a large number of clips in one topic then another then another in a short time

then these posts can 'flood' the forum they are in, the feeds and such

and these one type of post may mean rather than 'all about the soul' forum we end up with a forum mainly all about audio lists

as said still weighing things up

cheers

mike

3 hours ago, Twoshoes said:

I enjoy the threads and occasionally contribute, I've been introduced to many new tunes through such threads.  I think the threads would improve if posters quoting a particular post could do so without actually re posting the youtube link, I don't know if it's my computer but some of the pages take ages to load all the video clips so the reposting doesn't help and I know I've been guilty of it in the past myself. Ken's A to Z has been great but if people had followed his initial request to post just the one tune the thread would long since have finished. My concern and I'm no techno wizard is how much room you have on the server and do such threads impact on cloud space or whatever your limits are if in fact there are any.

On the whole I'm for such threads , I may well be wrong but to me there does seem to be more interaction on these threads and less long running discussion threads than there used to be. Then again a lot of the long running threads I remember centred on the more controversial side of things, the film, the tv programme , Mr Levine's records etc

again thanks for taking time to pass your views on

tech wise there's no limitation on these youtube type topics, most of the heavy work is done via youtube and the member's browsers/pcs and space etc isn't a issue at the moment

on the interaction yep its good to see people using them, but as said the concern is the effect they have on the actual forum they are in

thinking is maybe a move of the topics to another forum or a 'new' forum will work better overall?

22 hours ago, mike said:

thanks for taking time to pass on your views

the main concern is not so much the topics but the effect a large amount of similar may be having on the forum

if someone posts a large number of clips in one topic then another then another in a short time

then these posts can 'flood' the forum they are in, the feeds and such

and these one type of post may mean rather than 'all about the soul' forum we end up with a forum mainly all about audio lists

as said still weighing things up

cheers

mike

I don't participate in these threads and very rarely read them, as has been stated when people hit the "reply" button they leave in the original video posts from YT. You therefore end up with 2,3 or 4 pages with the same clips and comments around them.

Rather than spoil anyone's enjoyment of these threads, would it be easier to set some ground rules i.e. no reposting the original video being the main one ? No "one liner or one word" type responses. If you like it just give it a Vote Up. If you want to share more information about the tune, the artist, the label etc that's good and is worth posting.

Just my two cents of course.:thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Andy Mac said:

I don't participate in these threads and very rarely read them, as has been stated when people hit the "reply" button they leave in the original video posts from YT. You therefore end up with 2,3 or 4 pages with the same clips and comments around them.

Rather than spoil anyone's enjoyment of these threads, would it be easier to set some ground rules i.e. no reposting the original video being the main one ? No "one liner or one word" type responses. If you like it just give it a Vote Up. If you want to share more information about the tune, the artist, the label etc that's good and is worth posting.

Just my two cents of course.:thumbsup:

Thanks for views/suggestions Andy, good valid points and ones that would like to see taken onboard by other members

Wil be improving the moderation along with sorting out the location once the weekend is out of the way:thumbsup:

any other views out there ?

how about some from those who do take part in these topics?

Personally I do not see a problem with posting clips if the server can handle them.

I guess its all about why you visit the forum or what you think the forum is here for to be honest with you.

I think the record collecting part of this forum is the most boring part of it as I'm not the slightest bit interested in the whole OV thing but for many that is what its all about!

I could not care less about how much a record is worth as I care more about the music its self and how it makes me feel.

I like to get involved in the (list / clip) type topics because I enjoy listening to the music in the clips and sharing my knowledge of the music and to be honest you cant share music without putting the music up for people to listen too.

As with most people on this forum I tend to visit the topics that interest me and ignore the ones that don't as I do with any forum I am a member of, music related or not.

Mike.

Maybe a soul music clips section is the way to go? that way you know what you are going to get in that particular section?

42 minutes ago, Majy said:

Personally I do not see a problem with posting clips if the server can handle them.

I guess its all about why you visit the forum or what you think the forum is here for to be honest with you.

I think the record collecting part of this forum is the most boring part of it as I'm not the slightest bit interested in the whole OV thing but for many that is what its all about!

I could not care less about how much a record is worth as I care more about the music its self and how it makes me feel.

I like to get involved in the (list / clip) type topics because I enjoy listening to the music in the clips and sharing my knowledge of the music and to be honest you cant share music without putting the music up for people to listen too.

As with most people on this forum I tend to visit the topics that interest me and ignore the ones that don't as I do with any forum I am a member of, music related or not.

Mike.

Maybe a soul music clips section is the way to go? that way you know what you are going to get in that particular section?

There was one, a gigantic library, but it had to be taken down due to copyright worries

2 minutes ago, Pete S said:

There was one, a gigantic library, but it had to be taken down due to copyright worries

Yes. I can see that as a problem.

It's a hard one to figure out Pete.

Maybe just a link section then? I know it will take people off site so that could also be a problem.

Like I said above, it's a hard one.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.