SOUL SOURCE RECORD CLUB 2018, 50 YEARS OF RARE SOUL

dthedrug

2 hours ago, gogger said:

not sure if this tune been put on here before , jimmy delphs/ almost , karen records

Judging by the Karen Catalogue Numbers I think Betty Lavette was in the studio very soon after with the same band.

Delphs - Karen 45 1538

Lavette - Karen 45-1540

Maybe they were trying both artists to see who would get the nod for a release - then decided both were great?

Cheers
Gaz

• Up vote 2
Social source share

:hatsoff2:HI ALL. This year I have had to get another laptop, as I could not get out to go to PC World until December 22nd where I parked was in a disabled bay, I put my blue badge in the window had a look around for a bit, then I took a look at the laptops, after viewing all of them I called an assistant to help, this always takes time in PC World, I think they hide somewhere! any way the purchase took over 1hour, in the 2nd week of Jan a letter from a private car parking company stated that I overstayed my welcome by Half a Hour as there was a 2 hour max stay, you can imagine my horror as the charge was £100,  now my blue badge states that I can park for 3 hours, I'm trying to sort this out, sorry for ranting but this is just one of a few things that have pissed me off, anyway as my mind has been elsewhere I forgot to make any posts OOoops!, so I will rectify it tonight with a classic old school 45 that is fetching big money, and it is a hard one these days, plus it's on ACTION, which I completed in early December with the help of one of Stokes SOUL BROTHER & TOP RADIO DJ NICK MARSHEL, a great guy who does some excellent POD cast that are a must listen,  anyway my choice is a top fave of my mate Mick Smith, I do hope it is one of yours also, my copy of this 5 star 45 is below, can I wish you all a very belated Happy & Safe New Year and KTF, love Dave K

BRENDA & TAB #1 001.jpg

action 45 bren 001.jpg

brenda & the tabs #3 001 (2).jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, dthedrug said:

:hatsoff2:HI ALL. This year I have had to get another laptop, as I could not get out to go to PC World until December 22nd where I parked was in a disabled bay, I put my blue badge in the window had a look around for a bit, then I took a look at the laptops, after viewing all of them I called an assistant to help, this always takes time in PC World, I think they hide somewhere! any way the purchase took over 1hour, in the 2nd week of Jan a letter from a private car parking company stated that I overstayed my welcome by Half a Hour as there was a 2 hour max stay, you can imagine my horror as the charge was £100,  now my blue badge states that I can park for 3 hours, I'm trying to sort this out, sorry for ranting but this is just one of a few things that have pissed me off, anyway as my mind has been elsewhere I forgot to make any posts OOoops!, so I will rectify it tonight with a classic old school 45 that is fetching big money, and it is a hard one these days, plus it's on ACTION, which I completed in early December with the help of one of Stokes SOUL BROTHER & TOP RADIO DJ NICK MARSHEL, a great guy who does some excellent POD cast that are a must listen,  anyway my choice is a top fave of my mate Mick Smith, I do hope it is one of yours also, my copy of this 5 star 45 is below, can I wish you all a very belated Happy & Safe New Year and KTF, love Dave K

BRENDA & TAB #1 001.jpg

action 45 bren 001.jpg

brenda & the tabs #3 001 (2).jpg

Ay up Dave. Ignore the “parking fine” they’re not enforceable.

Happy New Year mate.

Pete

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 25/01/2018 at 19:34, Gary Brown said:

Judging by the Karen Catalogue Numbers I think Betty Lavette was in the studio very soon after with the same band.

Delphs - Karen 45 1538

Lavette - Karen 45-1540

Maybe they were trying both artists to see who would get the nod for a release - then decided both were great?

Cheers
Gaz

gaz , two great versions :yes: :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Just noticed this fantastic track has made its first appearence on You Tube .This is The flip of the Northern Classic Ill Never Forget You.I Have it on the Jamie Demo and for me the Since youve Been My Girl has been ignored for years. Did hear once that it gained a few 80s 100 club spins.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, hullsoul said:

Another recent addition,one of those cheaper tunes that is hard to track down.It's a bit funky,a bit R n B?Been getting plays.

Billy Frazier-Oh Baby (Look at Me) Music World

Nice to hear Mart, that's my Youtube post you've copied , glad to see that it's ended up of some use.

Love it myself, both sides are OK I think.

Anyway another cheapo, probably been posted before but I havn't played it for ages until this afternoon.

Give it a chance, it's a lovely groove:

Charles Beverly - Dont You Want A Man Like Me (Vanessa 210)

• Up vote 1
  • Listening now 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin

been checking out a lot of stuff on Liberty recently, what a fantastic label, anyway came across this one which was new to me, I don't know a lot about KikI Dee other than one or two Northern tracks and Elton collaborations but had to get this when I heard it

Social source share

8 minutes ago, shufflin said:

been checking out a lot of stuff on Liberty recently, what a fantastic label, anyway came across this one which was new to me, I don't know a lot about KikI Dee other than one or two Northern tracks and Elton collaborations but had to get this when I heard it

Kiki Dee "I" UK Fontana TF 833 1967, great tune also on the "Patterns" LP along with "why don't I run away from you", "I dig you baby" and slow but nice version of "when we get there" . Worth a listen.

TF3

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 08/02/2018 at 17:32, Mick Sway said:

Nice to hear Mart, that's my Youtube post you've copied , glad to see that it's ended up of some use.

Love it myself, both sides are OK I think.

Anyway another cheapo, probably been posted before but I havn't played it for ages until this afternoon.

Give it a chance, it's a lovely groove:

Mick

Didn't realise,nice one :D

Billy might be at the cheaper end but bloody hard to track down.Been getting plays here & there so can only go up in price?

Cheers

Martyn

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 08/02/2018 at 17:36, Patto said:

Late 90s early 2000s R&B tunes were firmly entrenched in most playlists.This one i first heard at a Winsford Nighter and i bought one as soon as i could.Never heard it played out since

Patto

Yep 90t's nighters for me.Still hear from time to time usually from the younger dj's who aren't as long in the tooth as us :(

Cheers

Martyn

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Guest Shufflin

this is obscure (?) and was new to me when I got it, been a bit of traffic on it today on forums and the Tube so thought I'd post it up, 1967 'newie', B side is just as good and maybe more 'Northern', prefer the A side

Edited by Shufflin
usual typos
Social source share

On 25 janvier 2018 at 20:34, Gary Brown said:

Delphs - Karen 45 1538

Lavette - Karen 45-1540

Cheers
Gaz

First issued (7/67) on Carla as the 'A' side with the fantastic dancer 'I've been fooled before'. Then 9 months later it was re-release but as the 'B' side to 'don't sign the paper' and on Karen this time. The re-recording of Betty Lavette is somewhat not working for me and in comparison of Jimmy Delphs authenticity seems just "not true nor right".

And I do truly love some of Betty early to later recordings, so I am not about dissing the lady. Like her version of 'you'll wake up wiser' works better than the original of Deon Jackson IMO for example. Still I don't really rate Betty's work with Ollie McLaughlin (but for both sides of her Atco 45) and man, I do love his production work and stable.

Edited by tlscapital
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
On 2/16/2018 at 08:12, andybellwood said:

Playing this one on the weekly radio show at mo . Samples ‘my girl ‘ brilliantly imo, a vinyl promo (both 7’’ & 12’’) for ‘Phoenix Rising’ Lp (Motown) which as far as I know was only cd & cassette ? 

The Temptations ‘Stay’.

I agree, the way my girl mixes in is fantastic. It's on vinyl promo as you say - prices are all over the place, I recommend people grabbing this from the US and sucking up the shipping cost as UK/EU price is up to £100!

new to me thanks for posting Andy

got one!

Edited by Shufflin
Social source share

Here's a 45 I recently purchased by Class Act featuring Rita.  It'd been a want for a while but I didn't want to pay too much.  Rita is the wife of one of the founder members of The Magnificent Men, Bob Angelucci, and there's lots of info & band footage on the net.  Incidentally, the 45 does not speed up, as the audio appears to a little in this video.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shufflin
4 hours ago, Bruv said:

I picked up Gladys Knight And The Pips Standing Ovation LP for 3 Dollars from New York last month,  that's another off the wants list. :thumbsup:  :hatsoff2:  

only ever had this on a CD, was the first release the 1971 LP, followed by the UK single in 1973? is the LP mix the same as the 45, they sound the same to me ??

Social source share

5 hours ago, shufflin said:

only ever had this on a CD, was the first release the 1971 LP, followed by the UK single in 1973? is the LP mix the same as the 45, they sound the same to me ??

Pretty sure it's exactly the same recording Shufflin, I did have a Tamla Motown single with no one could love you more from years back but I cannot find it anywhere, so bit the bullet and got the LP. 

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...