SOUL SOURCE RECORD CLUB 2018, 50 YEARS OF RARE SOUL

dthedrug

1 hour ago, andybellwood said:

Sorry Rick , does nothing for me at all . Not sufficiently different , nor in anyway enhances The Spinners version  imo . 

Hey that's Fine Andy, Nobody's Gonna top The Spinners Version lol , Just thought it was a bit Different From a lot of other versions that get played these days,Builds as it gets into it too , anyway, i like it in a quaint sort of way, Silly old Sod that i am!  😉  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Another original I picked up a few weeks back Steve Karmen Big Band ft Jimmy Radcliffe - Breakaway from all places The Lebanon I  remember him messaging me on Discogs - Hey Barry Greetings from Beirut, Thank You for the purchase Sir. :hatsoff2:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, Bruv said:

Another original I picked up a few weeks back Steve Karmen Big Band ft Jimmy Radcliffe - Breakaway from all places The Lebanon I  remember him messaging me on Discogs - Hey Barry Greetings from Beirut, Thank You for the purchase Sir. :hatsoff2:

Great tune Bruv.I believe it was covered up in the early days as The Black Ship To Hell which is how it feels these days when i try to dance to it 😅

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I haven't contributed to the club for some considerable time although I check in on a regular basis to enjoy the fantastic sounds here! Thanks everyone for your very valuable contributions to the forum. I have lost track of which of my records I've posted previously so this one may be a repost. I don't visit my box very often but just lately have had this one lying around after being turned on to it by Mark Sargeant who my lass rates very highly. Here on the Sag Port label is Sensational Five. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Picked the Sapphires - Gonna Be A Big Thing up a couple of months ago, before anyone tells me I know the Yum Yums nailed the song. :wink: 

But I got to love this Sapphires version from buying like a lot of people did in the late 1970's the white ABC reissue copy with Eddie Regan - Playing Hide And Seek on the flip, just need to get an original of Eddie and then Happy Days!  :) 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

A long time want has just come my way,this goes rather nicely with the other one I've got of hers & her better known one (Little Annie) on the same label.

Another that won't be everyone's cuppa but I love it.

Might as well post the other for those who don't know it (Little Annie)

Anna Belle Caesar - I've Got My Man Glad Hamp

Anna Belle Caesar - Little Annie Glad Hamp

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Look what landed today 😊

Bought it for "We People In The Ghetto" but t'other sides half descent as well & was new to me.

Anybody else hear a bit of Lou Pride "Com'un Home " in the first few bars of "We People In The Ghetto"?

Any info on plays please,had plays over the past few years but has it had plays back in the day??

Vernon Garrett - We People In The Ghetto Kapp

Vernon Garrett - You Blew My Mind Kapp

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 28/09/2018 at 15:32, hullsoul said:

Look what landed today 😊

Bought it for "We People In The Ghetto" but t'other sides half descent as well & was new to me.

Anybody else hear a bit of Lou Pride "Com'un Home " in the first few bars of "We People In The Ghetto"?

Any info on plays please,had plays over the past few years but has it had plays back in the day??

Vernon Garrett - We People In The Ghetto Kapp

Vernon Garrett - You Blew My Mind Kapp

Very to-day, as you say the intro of "we people" is very Lou Pride.

Also came out on Watts USA

Nice one

PS still suffering, hope the one in doors is feeling better.

On 28/09/2018 at 15:32, hullsoul said:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 30/09/2018 at 14:40, Mick Sway said:

Very to-day, as you say the intro of "we people" is very Lou Pride.

Also came out on Watts USA

Nice one

PS still suffering, hope the one in doors is feeling better.

Mick

Sorry to hear you're still suffering,a bit of medicinal whiskey needed 😉 She's a bit hit & miss,good & bad days.Just waiting for Docs to sort some meds out??

Cheers

Martyn

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I had The Harvey Averne Dozen Album arrive today from America, this was the only way I could afford to obtain Never Learned To Dance hopefully my friends will enjoy hearing it played out when my next do comes round....:)  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 04/10/2018 at 22:11, Bruv said:

I had The Harvey Averne Dozen Album arrive today from America, this was the only way I could afford to obtain Never Learned To Dance hopefully my friends will enjoy hearing it played out when my next do comes round....:)  

Bruv

The only way for me to,had mine years & still love it.The other goodie on the LP that's had plays is "Central Park".

Cheers

Martyn

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 19:27, hullsoul said:

Bruv

The only way for me to,had mine years & still love it.The other goodie on the LP that's had plays is "Central Park".

Cheers

Martyn

Thank you Martyn, I will check that track out :hatsoff2:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shufflin

listening to the LP as I type this, the song was re-issued recently but decided to get the original LP, another sad story of a soul talent taken by drug abuse

Social source share

On 12/09/2018 at 11:42, RICK SCOTT said:

Cheryl Glasgow - Glued To The Spot. (live Records (alive 2) 

Haven't put much up of late so back to 1987 to my 'Scunthorpe Baths Hall' days, Fabulous Jazzy Soul Feel that really gets under your skin and hits the spot, And not easy to find these days, just love Cheryls Sultry Voice and  that wonderful Horn Rift, Very Catchy, and Just Ripe again for todays Soul Scene.

There is a 7" inch Version but this is the 12" version which i prefer.

Nice - sounds like she's trying very hard to sound like Corey Day/Dr Buzzard.
Dx

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Two good sides with this one which was surprisingly new to me until I heard it on one of Ian Levine's excellent pod casts.

Hence acquisition became a priority, £10-£20 should secure a decent copy.

Sounding a  little on the Detroit funky side a la Parliaments , no surprise with Don Davis being involved.

The Mad Lads - Love is Here Today and Gone Tomorrow Volt

Edited by Mick Sway
  • Up vote 1
Social source share