Steinways - You've Been Leading Me On - Oliver White Demo

Gazoor

Just trying to get a definitive answer on whether the White Demo., pictured below, that I bought the other month is an original or not.

It's on a label design that I hadn't seen before, but even though it was listed with the word 'pressing' after it... it looked real to me and I am not aware of any 'boot' using the design.

I've tracked a couple on the web and the few that I found have sold for approx £450 on a well known dealer site and $522 on Ebay...

It cost me £46 plus postage... so my question is ... Has it been 'booted' on this design?

Thanks for your help... Happy New Year!

s-l1600[1].jpg

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

There are legitimate white label copies of this 45 without the green stripes, but they are on styrene and pressed at the Monarch factory. Yours looks like some kind of carver with a botched homemade label where someone has tried to emulate the typesetting really badly and also to artificially age the label by staining it.

Social source share

Thanks for your help gents.  I showed it to a mate of mine today and he believes it's real... but going off what GarethX says ... it aint.

I thought the only styrene copies of this were done by 'Soussain', as all original  issues are on vinyl... anybody clear that line of enquiry up?

Social source share

12 hours ago, Gazoor said:

Thanks for your help gents.  I showed it to a mate of mine today and he believes it's real... but going off what GarethX says ... it aint.

I thought the only styrene copies of this were done by 'Soussain', as all original  issues are on vinyl... anybody clear that line of enquiry up?

As said it looks like a boot. What is in the deadwax/run out?

Social source share

14 hours ago, Gazoor said:

Yours above is a definite recent bootleg. Original promos (with green horizontal lines on vinyl !) and stockers came out both on styrene and vinyl pressings.

Old Simon Soussan boots I don't know any of them that bad since I disregard them and spare any little room in my memory for any other better purpose.

Social source share

15 hours ago, Gazoor said:

Wasn't booted in the 70's so no S.S. connection

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Certainly looks nothing like the rare west coast b/w demo but why would the bootlegger go to the extreme lengths of staining the label to deceive buyers after having already committed the schoolboy error of missing out some credits?

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke
On 18/01/2018 at 21:23, garethx said:

Hardly 'extreme lengths': waving a used teabag back and forth across the label for twenty seconds doesn't take too much effort.

Agreed Gareth but what was the point when it's already such an obvious boot?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!