Peter99

TV Buffs and Theme From the Coloured Man

Posted (edited)

Having just seen the thread regarding the Coloured Man thread here - 

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/topic/379465-teddy-vann-coloured-man/?tab=comments#comment-2358072

Does anyone know whether people collect vinyl records of tv/film music scores? I guess they must. Would a collector in that market compete for the same record in our soul music market ie, would they pay $400? Anyone know anything about that market? 

Pete

Edited by Peter99

soul auctionsHit for next 24hrs Ebay Sales Ebay Soul Record Auctions 

As I started the Teddy Vann thread I thought I ought to weigh in here as well. The collectors market for movie soundtracks is massive but almost entirely based around the albums that were brought out to cash in on the popularity of the films. One of the biggest selling albums of all time was "The Sound Of Music". Virtually every film that had a sound track had a sound track album. As with soul music those with the least successful sales first time around seem to garner the highest prices 30/40/50 years later. There are a couple of LP's on ebay at the moment asking $2000+ but as we all know asking price ain't necessarily the selling price. I have bought many 60's soundtracks over the years simply to get tracks that fit a northern vibe but never came out in any other format. Some of these have stonking instrumentals like the Tony Curtis/Debbie Reynolds film "The Rat Race" (although in this case at least 4 different versions of the theme made it on to 45). Others have interesting vocal tracks like the 1966 movie "Out of Sight" which features, alongside Gary Lewis & the Playboys, The Turtles and Freddie & the Dreamers, the original full length version of "Out On The Floor" by Dobie Gray. 45's taken from the movie soundtracks that are collectible on the soul scene are few and far between, I probably have about a dozen or so out 30,000 records. There are a few that you would not necessarily think of as movie tracks like "Walk Tall (Like A Man)" by Two of Clubs/Christy Allen/Verdelle Smith that came from the awful 1967 movie "Doctor You've Got To Be Kidding" Starring Sandra Dee and George Hamilton - the song was actually done by Sandra Dee in the film (check out the trailer on youtube to see how dire this film is but also for a glimpse of her singing it).

4 minutes ago, georgeblackwell said:

Just found out it wasn't even Sandra Dee singing in the film but the legendary Marie Greene who sang uncredited for hundreds of hollywood stars in their movies. Below is a clip of the song. (Bloody Awful)

Title_1983 (1).FROSTIES RARE STUFF 2167.p.wav

Thanks for the reply mate - interesting. That link isnt working.

:thumbsup:

On a bit of a roll here - I have another extremely rare version of the same song (Walk Tall) by Bobby Silver on Venett Records which I have played out a few times when deejaying over the years mainly because I am sure he sings " She don't give a F**k for you" at about 1 minute 16 seconds. Check it out below

Title_2000 (0).FROSTIES RARE STUFF 2167.p.wav

25 minutes ago, georgeblackwell said:

On a bit of a roll here - I have another extremely rare version of the same song (Walk Tall) by Bobby Silver on Venett Records which I have played out a few times when deejaying over the years mainly because I am sure he sings " She don't give a F**k for you" at about 1 minute 16 seconds. Check it out below

Title_2000 (0).FROSTIES RARE STUFF 2167.p.wav

You’re firing blanks mate! You’re links aren’t working.

:D

6 hours ago, georgeblackwell said:

Just found out it wasn't even Sandra Dee singing in the film but the legendary Marie Greene who sang uncredited for hundreds of hollywood stars in their movies. Below is a clip of the song. (Bloody Awful)

Title_1983 (1).FROSTIES RARE STUFF 2167.p.wav

there's a brilliant documentary about Marie Greene and several others who did the same thing which crops up on BBC 4 quite regularly, I think it's called Hollywood's Hidden Voices or something like that, it's a while since I watched it but well worth seeing, some interesting trivia such as Natalie Wood not knowing she had been over dubbed until she was sat at the première of West Side Story. Also Deborah Kerr is not singing in The King and I.

Soundtrack is good , film don't bother , bloody awful !👎

14 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

The only film soundtrack album I own is Short Eyes by Curtis Mayfield, and the stand out track for me is this one, Need Someone To Love.....

Incidentally, I have yet to see the movie.

Posted (edited)
    12 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Having just seen the thread regarding the Coloured Man thread here - 

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/topic/379465-teddy-vann-coloured-man/?tab=comments#comment-2358072

Does anyone know whether people collect vinyl records of tv/film music scores? I guess they must. Would a collector in that market compete for the same record in our soul music market ie, would they pay $400? Anyone know anything about that market? 

Pete

Peter, a good friend of mine runs a record store and label that only deals in Soundtracks and vinyl reissues of hard to obtain movie scores .The last time I talked to him he told me that there are at the minimum 20,000 soundtracks in their collection,so yes, the market is huge and collectors from all over the world will pay good money for those records.

I personally own a lot of Soundtrack Lp's ,probably a couple of hundred in fact.They are mostly 1970's Jazz, Funk and Soul type affairs with scores by artists like Quincy Jones,Oliver Nelson ,Shorty Rodgers,Herbie Hancock, Gene Page and others.Ive also got some Prog Rock/experimental things and a ton of Blaxplotation Soundtracks which have some of the best music ever made on them IMO so I'm always on the lookout for those type of records to add to my collection.

.:hatsoff2:

Edit.

I picked this latest one up just pretty recently in fact.

Its the Willie Dynamite soundtrack by J.J.Johnson featuring Martha Reeves and its a terrific record with some very cool instrumentals too,pretty sure the whole album is on YouTube if anyone fancies a listen.

H97ly67.jpg

Edited by Soulsides

I haven't wanted to admit this since the thread started but I feel sick every time I come back for a read, about two weeks before this thread started I was looking through some albums in an Antique shop (I'm being polite here junk shop more like) amongst the usual fare of Val Doonican, James Last and classical stuff there were about thirty soundtrack albums, all in mint condition, a couple of well known film scores Jaws for instance but the rest I'd never heard of, £1 each and sadly I'm sure I could have got them cheaper in a deal. Week after Christmas same shop had outside large box of around 200 singles, 50p each, my interest peaked when in the first batch I picked up there was a Philles paper sleeve, sadly nothing of note but plenty of reasons to keep looking , ended up buying a Luther Vandross only because I couldn't remember hearing the instrumental b side, as I was paying the chap said I've another box in the back if you want to look, same old 80's pop and early sixties Englebert and Cliff. 

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links