johnny truitt -question?

alfie7459

• Replies 10
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

On 09/01/2018 at 21:21, alfie7459 said:

as johnny truitt .just the other day been repressed at any time ?

I think, as with allot of Abet 45’s the company reissued this in the early seventies, the first press, is the brown / yellow grey label design, the later ones are those green / yellow / black labels...

othef than that I guess it may have received a recent boot, I don’t know for sure, but you want the vinyl / yellow / grey label.. 

I will post a scan

Social source share

And here I believe is the later reissue by the company.... they do share the same release number, but I’ve seen that done before, I’ve got a 7ts released Liz Lands - midnight Johnny which shares the same Cat no, but deffo released a second time by Motown.

AC420A84-6636-405F-8DE3-0F6BB77A580C.jpeg

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Interesting record. I can see its appeal from a 'scene' point of view but can equally see why it is sometimes seen as awful to fans of Truitt's other records, as it takes a decidedly Middle Of The Road approach. I love it, but it took me a while to appreciate it.

I think the deep side of this and his preceding release, "Baby I Need You" were two of the very finest deep soul records ever cut at Fame. Simply sensational on all counts: songs, arrangement, vocals, the rhythm tracks. 

Demos with just "Your Love Is Worth The Pain" on the grey and amber label used to be really plentiful and always cheap but seemed to have dried up in supply in the last couple of years.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, garethx said:

Interesting record. I can see its appeal from a 'scene' point of view but can equally see why it is sometimes seen as awful to fans of Truitt's other records, as it takes a decidedly Middle Of The Road approach. I love it, but it took me a while to appreciate it.

I think the deep side of this and his preceding release, "Baby I Need You" were two of the very finest deep soul records ever cut at Fame. Simply sensational on all counts: songs, arrangement, vocals, the rhythm tracks. 

Demos with just "Your Love Is Worth The Pain" on the grey and amber label used to be really plentiful and always cheap but seemed to have dried up in supply in the last couple of years.

With regards to ' Baby I need you', I dont believe I have a better deep soul double sider from Nashville, with I'm through with you' on the flip gets me every time. A similar scenario seems to exist with Roscoe Robinson's 'Dont pretend' on Fame, nice enough in that it fills the boots with the crossover brigade, but hardly his best. 'She wont choose me' on Gerri does it for me. Good call.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2018 at 17:09, garethx said:

Just adding my thoughts here - sorry for hijacking your orig ask.

Absolutely love this recording (Just the other day).  One of my faves of all time.
Always get "someone" who wants to know what it is - when lucky enough to play it out.
I "got it" straight away on first hearing this many years ago.

Cheers..................   Tom.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!