Classic Twisted Wheel Vol 3.

soash

On 17/01/2018 at 14:32, DaveNPete said:

The Poets I've Got Two Hearts played? I don't know one way or another, but I'm surprised (the boss, who went, didn't know it when I got it).

A wondrous record either way.

Dx

I doubt I’ve Got Two Hearts was ever played at the Wheel,She blew a good thing is more likely.

Social source share

30 minutes ago, Wheelsville1 said:

I doubt I’ve Got Two Hearts was ever played at the Wheel,She blew a good thing is more likely.

why would you think that it was a 1966 issue the same as she blew a good thing the only difference she blew a good issued in the uk on London 1966 or did you not hear it played in the wheel because soash was a regular visitor to the wheel

Social source share

Plays at the Twisted Wheel?

If we ignore the early days when it was a little more blues based - let's just look at 1965 to 1970 - that's five years of allnighters - so, around 250 individual sessions.

The sessions ran from 11pm until 7am(ish), so at approx. 25 tunes per hour, that's 400 tunes per session in the Record Room.

Then, of course, there was the Stage Room, were 45s were played out when the bands weren't on stage. Let's be conservative, and say they played around 200 tunes per night.

So that, if my basic maths is correct, makes 150,000 opportunities for any individual track to be played during that 5 year period.

I've ignored the early evening and other sessions, when different DJs were often seen - but that is more than enough music for anyone to even begin to remember.

Do I claim to remember them all? No f***ing way! I'm nearly 68, for Christ's sake - I forget what day it is at times.

There are guys around who have a more encyclopedic memory than mine, who remember a lot more, but NOBODY can claim to have listened to and remembered every track played at the Wheel. The fact that most of us were spaced out of our skulls does not help!

Yes, there were tracks that didn't get unearthed until after the Wheel, but these were generally by artists that no one had heard of - if we had a name to go on - and the Poets were a well known name, then it was pretty easy to unearth lesser known tracks by such artists.

By 68/69, lots of opportunities to get imports were available - so I don't see an issue here.

I had a similar conversation with a mate who said "Loneliness Made Me Realise" by the Tempts was never played - it wasn't very often, but I know it was played at least once, because I took the single over and asked the DJ to play it - which he did. I often did that with stuff I wanted to hear...

So there we go. I am happy that the tracks on my comps were heard at the Wheel.

Vol 3 has been up a week now, with 239 listens. Vol 4 will be up soon. Thanks to all for the support. :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 19:35, soash said:

Another hour of classic 60's Soul, as played down that cellar on Whitworth Street, Manchester.

Play it loud! :thumbsup:

The Photo Shows Dancers On The TWISTED WHEEL Stage " JANET REID " From ROCHDALE Second On The Right , Just Missing Off That End- PAUL PLEVA From HYDE And TERRY PARTINGTON ( Aka - Lightning )From Droylsden Hidden Behind The Letter " T " Who Can Be Seen On The Original ( Dave Goddin Wheel Photo's ) .

The Photo Below Shows The " Soft Drinks Area " Leading To The Cellar, Down The Stairs - Left To The Dj's And Rooms , Right To The " Stage And Rooms Or Straight Across To The Long Alley ( Leading To The Other Front -Emergency Exit ) .

IMG_1113.JPG

Social source share

• 1 month later...
On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 21:02, soash said:

Plays at the Twisted Wheel?

If we ignore the early days when it was a little more blues based - let's just look at 1965 to 1970 - that's five years of allnighters - so, around 250 individual sessions.

The sessions ran from 11pm until 7am(ish), so at approx. 25 tunes per hour, that's 400 tunes per session in the Record Room.

Then, of course, there was the Stage Room, were 45s were played out when the bands weren't on stage. Let's be conservative, and say they played around 200 tunes per night.

So that, if my basic maths is correct, makes 150,000 opportunities for any individual track to be played during that 5 year period.

I've ignored the early evening and other sessions, when different DJs were often seen - but that is more than enough music for anyone to even begin to remember.

Do I claim to remember them all? No f***ing way! I'm nearly 68, for Christ's sake - I forget what day it is at times.

There are guys around who have a more encyclopedic memory than mine, who remember a lot more, but NOBODY can claim to have listened to and remembered every track played at the Wheel. The fact that most of us were spaced out of our skulls does not help!

Yes, there were tracks that didn't get unearthed until after the Wheel, but these were generally by artists that no one had heard of - if we had a name to go on - and the Poets were a well known name, then it was pretty easy to unearth lesser known tracks by such artists.

By 68/69, lots of opportunities to get imports were available - so I don't see an issue here.

I had a similar conversation with a mate who said "Loneliness Made Me Realise" by the Tempts was never played - it wasn't very often, but I know it was played at least once, because I took the single over and asked the DJ to play it - which he did. I often did that with stuff I wanted to hear...

So there we go. I am happy that the tracks on my comps were heard at the Wheel.

Vol 3 has been up a week now, with 239 listens. Vol 4 will be up soon. Thanks to all for the support. :thumbsup:

My mate used to take records to the Wheel to be played if the djs didn't have it. One I remember is Garnet Mimms Roll With The Punches. Then there was the time a lot of records were stolen during a break in, the djs asked for help from club members to bring records in to be played. I think its fair to say that nearly all R & B or Soul records released in the UK during the 60s would have had an airing at the Wheel, so long as they weren't being played on the radio at the time. One import I can't believe didn't get unearthed during the Wheels last few years is The Dells Run For Cover on Cadet released 1968. First played at The Torch i'm told.

Social source share

On 17/01/2018 at 08:32, DaveNPete said:

The Poets I've Got Two Hearts played? I don't know one way or another...

Agreed. Although I did not go to the venue (until it became Placemate) think this track would have been too slow to be played at the time. Roger Eagle’s record library on the shelf may have had a copy, but that does not mean it was actually played. If a compilation purporting to be Wheel sounds is to be circulated then it should only have records that were definitely played. The Wheel sounds were of a distinct character and laid the foundations for what we now know as Northern Soul - it is therefore important that due diligence is done for historical accuracy.

Social source share

Hi Frankie

I'll say again. No-one knows categorically which sounds did/didn't get played (maybe even just the once) down the Wheel.

As I said, I took 45s over there, and they were played. Were they ever played when I wasn't there? I haven't got the faintest.

I don't know of anybody who attended every Wheel allnighter, so "due diligence to historical accuracy" is impossible.

Especially as most of us were out of our skulls - watching out for the DS was the most important thing to remember on some nights.

Regarding the tempo of the track - yes, by 1969, it would have been regarded as slow - but it came out in 1966, when dancing had not yet accelerated to 100mph, and backdrops were a thing of the future.

"Wheel sounds were of a distinct character" - really? I heard "Judy In Disguise" down there, and even Elvis Presley got airtime.

There are a lot of Wheel sounds that definitely WON'T be on any of my comps...:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1
Social source share

I would Consider " Run For Cover " Not As TOO SLOW , But Mid Paced ? The Fact That " Wear it on Our Face " - " There Is " - " What a Day " & " Hallelujah Baby " were all Played In The Wheel !  , I'm shure There were Import Copies Around ? ( No U.k. Issue Till 1972 ) .

" Queen Of Fools  - Barbara Mills " " Here She Comes  -Tymes" " See You At the Go-Go- Dobie Gray " " She Blew A Good Thing - American Poets" " Twine Time - Alvin Cash & The Crawlers" " It Keeps Raining - Fats Dominoe" " Ooh Baby /All On a Summers Day - Deon Jackson " " Scratch My Back - Slim Harpo"  "The Night - Dee Dee Sharp" " Any Day Now - Chuck Jackson + Percy Sledge " " Reach Out For Me - Lou Johnson " " Fighting To Win -Homer Banks " " Hey little Girl - Major Lance" " Help Me - Sonny Boy Williamson" These Tracks Make  The Dells " Run For Cover " Seem Quite Fast ?? .

Edited by earlvandykes6
Addition Of "Recording Artist " Names
Social source share

" Judy In Disguise " Of Course ,Plus Live On That little Stage ! , The Amboy Dukes , Also Performing The " Polydor U.k. Issued " B-side  " Who's Fooling Who ".

They Also Played The U.S.A Issue Of " Who's Fooling Who " On JOTIS Cut By Arthur Conley Along With His " Where You Lead Me ( I Will Follow ) - JOTIS  .

Edited by earlvandykes6
After Thought
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!