Company sleeves - mythical and most desirable?

Derek Pearson

Seem to be noticing more and more requests by people searching for specific UK & US label company sleeves to adorn their favourite 45s with.

Following on from this and I’m fairly certain we’ve had similar type threads over the years (and yes I plead guilty many times over to not researching archived threads before launching into this one).

What company sleeves would you dearly love to see after all these years of  searching and being told they simply weren’t any? And if they don’t exist what do you think they probably would’ve looked like?

I guess many would collectors would love to hold a Shrine Records company sleeve in their hands – I imagine it’s design would be based around the JFK flame which figures so prominently within the label design.

Here’s another question that’s just popped up in my mind – what’s the biggest label in terms of numbers of releases that you can think of which as far as you know never had any type of company sleeve?   Mirwood is the first name that immediately answers my own question.

Your input is welcomed.

And scans of what you consider 'interesting' company sleeves would be even better.

Derek

Do you think there's any mileage in having a specific central folder for members to upload their company sleeves as opposed to having scans scattered here, there and everywhere across the width and breadth of members personal albums within their profile page?

Social source share

A respected Motown/Detroit collector told me that whilst visiting various folk in Detroit he had seen a vintage draft of a "Ric Tic" sleeve which he had even offered a fair bit of money to buy. Second hand information I know, but maybe someone with more info than me can put some flesh on the bones of that one

Des

Social source share

Motown printed up many many different 45 sleeves back in the day & many are now sought after.

I remember Tall Pimple (Paul T) visiting our house many moons ago & him taking away all the more unusual US Motown 45 sleeves I had (I didn't really value them at the time as WHAT WAS IN THE GROOVES seemed more important) ... seems I made a bad decision. 

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

I would like the following: Miracle, Gordy, Mel-O-dy, Soul(Motown), VIP, Anna Records, Tri-Phi/Harvey/Message, Fortune Records - or Fortune/Hi-Q, Correc-Tone/SonBert, Thelma/GeGe, Golden World/Ric-Tic/Wingate, Maltese, Stephanye, Solid Hitbound/Revilot/Groovesville, Groovesville/Groove City, Robert West Productions(Kudo/Flick/Bumble Bee/Contour/LuPine), Magic City, MAH's/D-Town/Wheelsville USA/Wheel City/MRC/Exit, Mickay's/Ring, Johnnie Mae Matthews Productions (Northern/Reel/Art/Bon/Jam/Northern-Del-La, etc.), LaBeat/Mary Jane/Cool School, Carrie/Ricare/Staff/Arnold/Lanrod, Karen/Carla/Moira/Ruth, HOB/Spartan/Soul/Starmaker, Sidra/Drew, Chex/Volume, Twirl/Storm, Hi-Lite/Rem/Pillar, One-derful/Mar-V-lus/M-Pac/Midas/Toddlin' Town/Kellmac, Boss Records (Chicago), United/States, Chance/Sabre, Parrot/Blue Lake, Cortland/Witch/Ermine, Renee/Sta-Set/Conduc/Lu-Cee/Big 3/Toi, Al Benson/Nayjean Productions (Crash/Glow Star/Mica/The Blues), Cobra, Bea & Baby, Marvello, Barry Despenza Productios (Contact/Despenza/Dispo), Giant(Chicago)/Globe, Zodiac/Aquarius/Boo, Formal/Night Owl, Daran, Tip Top/Nike/Chapel, Nation/Salem, Ran-Dee/Markie, Master Key Group, C.J. Productions, Mel London Productions(Chief/Profile/Age/Starville/Tamboo), Jack Daniels Productions (Bright Star/4 Brothers/Jadan/Chi-City), Tuff, Gotham/20th Century(Gotham Philadelphia subsidiary), Old Town/Paradise, Savoy/Gospel, old Jubilee, Sue/Symbol/Crackerjack/Broadway/Eastern/Juggy/J-M, old Kent, Excelsior/Exclusive, Apollo, Prestige, Highland, Post (Imperial subsidiary), Music City (Oakland label), SAR/Derby/Andex, Rainbow, Herald/Ember, Recorded in Hollywood/Lucky/Cash/Money, Hollywood, Ebb, Arvee, Blue  Cat, Mark-X, Fame, Vault, Red Robin, Whirlin' Disc, Maylenn Dist., Dore, Keymen Dist., Flip, Dig/Ultra/Eldo, Flash, Vita, Magnum, Fantasy/Galaxy, Bobby Sanders Productions(Soultown/Kay-Bo), Glory, Lenox,Baton/Sir, Grand, Constellation, Caddy, Barry, 4-J, Celeste, Goldband, H.B. Barnum Productions(Little Star, etc.), Crimson, Swan, XYZ,

As to existing company sleeves that I still need more of:  Old Aladdin (1953-56 with photos of artists), old Atlantic (1949-55 with photos of artists), old Modern/RPM/Flair/Crown(1953-57), old Dootone(1954-57)/Dooto, old Imperial (1953-55), old Peacock (1953-57), latest Gone(1959-64), Bethlehem, 4-Star, National Record Distributors (NRC), Gee/Rama

In the early 1970s, I bought 500 Specialty covers from label owner, Art Rupe, for about 8 cents a piece (his cost was 5 cents), he did me a favour.  It wasn't worth his time to make the $15.00.  They were deluxe quality, thick cardboard with slick outer sides and very bright, indelible colours (black & yellow).  I still have some 50, or so, extra, in case I add any more to my collection (label run). I still have extra generic Motown, Motown, Tamla, Chess, VJ, Jubilee-Josie, Cameo-Parkway Dist/Cameo/Parkway, Jamie-Guyden, Jamie, early '50s King, Federal, De Luxe, Atlantic, ATCO, Class (both Blue and Red), early '50s Modern, and The Majors(All RCA/Vik/Groove/X), (all Columbia/Okeh/Epic/Date/Bang/Shout/Gamble), (all Decca/Brunswick/Coral), (all Capitol/Tower/Uptown), (all MGM/Cub/Metro/Verve), (all ABC, ABC subsidiaries mix/APT/Bluesway/Tangerine/Chancellor/Impulse/Probe/Oliver, (All United Artists UA/Unart/Musicor/Veep/DCP/Solid State), (all WB/Loma/Reprise/7 Arts/Warwick),(all Bell/Amy/Mala), Colpix), ARDCO (Allied Record Dist.), CIRCA, Universal(Uni/Revue/Kapp/Congress), London Dist. 

Edited by RobbK
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Yes,it's strange that Savoy used company sleeves(a classic design,too) for their 78's but not their 45's.I had to smile about Fortune sleeves-they would have been great,but seeing as Jack and Devora Brown seemed reluctant to even buy two mikes for their studio(or so it sounded-many wonderful records though) company sleeves would  probably have been the last thing they'd have invested in!

Social source share

On 14/01/2018 at 06:25, Roburt said:

Wouldn't mind a copy of the M-S promo 45 picture sleeve that came with some early copies of Lonette McKee's "Stop" in early summer 68.

Her M-S 45 was released in Canada on Goodgroove ... did this label have it's own company sleeve ??

Many good company sleeves show here ... https://www.45rpmrecords.com/ms/index_list.php

Goodgroove was part of the Arc group so I assume they would have come in an ARC sleeve

Social source share

On 1/15/2018 at 17:40, newer said:

Goodgroove was part of the Arc group so I assume they would have come in an ARC sleeve

I think it probably came in a plain brown sleeve, like many of the other records that were pressed by Arc, but weren't on Arc.

I think Arc saved the company sleeves for singles that were actually on the imprint.

This, of course, is pure speculation, but I don't think I've ever seen an Arc pressing not on the label in a company sleeve, unless someone had accidentally put it in one years after the fact.

Yorkville singles, for example, came in plain brown sleeves, as far as I know.

And I don't think I've ever seen a Goodgroove sleeve. There were only a handful of releases on the label, so I would guess that they probably didn't bother.

Cheers,

Marc

Social source share

On 14 janvier 2018 at 12:25, Roburt said:

Wouldn't mind a copy of the M-S promo 45 picture sleeve that came with some early copies of Lonette McKee's "Stop" in early summer 68.

Do you have a "pic" of that ? My searches on the net were not conclusive and I'd love to see that.

On the same matter I was told long ago that Betty Lloyd 'six days til Xmas' on BSC also had such a "rare" sleeve. Can anyone confirm this ?

Social source share

On 1/17/2018 at 07:06, vinylia said:

I think it probably came in a plain brown sleeve, like many of the other records that were pressed by Arc, but weren't on Arc.

I think Arc saved the company sleeves for singles that were actually on the imprint.

This, of course, is pure speculation, but I don't think I've ever seen an Arc pressing not on the label in a company sleeve, unless someone had accidentally put it in one years after the fact.

Yorkville singles, for example, came in plain brown sleeves, as far as I know.

And I don't think I've ever seen a Goodgroove sleeve. There were only a handful of releases on the label, so I would guess that they probably didn't bother.

Cheers,

Marc

I concur.  I don't believe Arc Records used Arc sleeves on Arc - distributed records.  I never saw any indication of Arc Records having any subsidiaries or distrbuting records for smaller non-affiliated labels. 

Social source share

37 minutes ago, the yank said:

The sleeve with The Jubilee Group would have been used for Festival. Or you could use one of these from  a different Festival company. I've never seen sleeves for Jam or Northern.

festival.jpg

Yep - that one 

Lenny_Damon_and_The_Bah_Humbug_Band_Tippicaw_Calley_Josie_Records_Promo_45_5688_large.jpg.62e407d99eab3262cd83c7d18fd31106.jpg

if someone got one for sale - really appreciated ... 

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

I would say the biggest label that didn't have any company sleeves for many years is the UK output for Atlantic, there were no sleeves under Decca distribution while the label was black from 1964/6 & no sleeves under Polydor distribution while the label was red from 1966/71, sleeves were only introduced for the first time in the UK when it switched to Kinney (which later became WEA) distribution in 1971/2, so that's almost 8 years of UK distribution for this very major label without any UK company sleeves being issued!!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 1/21/2018 at 01:27, Zanetti said:

JUBILE would store the FESTIVAL 45s - is that correct?

Do we have c/sleeves for Detroit's JAM and NORTHERN?

Yes, Jubilee/Josie Group (distributor) covers came on the later Festival records.  There was an earlier Festival sleeve when the earlier Festival output was out.  There were no company sleeves for any of Johnnie Mae Matthews' labels.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!