Tv Adverts & Northern Soul

Guest Spain pete

• Replies 53
  • Views 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

^^^Lol.

I've never actually seen that advert before..I've not watched any telly for years ,even though theres at least three of em in our house.

I thought it was pretty funny.

I was more shocked that I was somehow redirected to a 'Why We Don't Hear About Susan Boyle Anymore' video after the advert was over for some strange reason ! 

Arrgh ! From Frank Wilson and possibly the rarest Soul record of all time to Susan F#!!!n Boyle !!!

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
3 minutes ago, MGM 1251 said:

...wasn’t it also used on a KFC commercial...about 10 years ago?

KFC did these

Bobby Garrett - I Can't Get Away

Frank Wilson - Do I Love You (Indeed I do)

Jackie Wilson - The Who Who Song

Laura Greene - Moonlight Music And You

Marlena Shaw - California Soul

The Chi-Lites - What Do I Wish For

The Flirtations - Nothing But A Heartache

The Majestics - Funky Chick

Social source share

1 minute ago, shufflin said:

KFC did these

Bobby Garrett - I Can't Get Away

Frank Wilson - Do I Love You (Indeed I do)

Jackie Wilson - The Who Who Song

Laura Greene - Moonlight Music And You

Marlena Shaw - California Soul

The Chi-Lites - What Do I Wish For

The Flirtations - Nothing But A Heartache

The Majestics - Funky Chick

That’s right,I remember now...think Bob Brady was one of them too “EGTTLI”...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, MGM 1251 said:

...wasn’t it also used on a KFC commercial...about 10 years ago?

It was and there was also a double cd released to accompany the ad campaign too which I'm slightly ashamed of admitting to owning although I didn't buy it myself..the missus found a copy in the local charity shop and brought it home for me, honest !

Edited by Soulsides
Social source share

1 minute ago, Soulsides said:

It was and there was also a double cd released to accompany the ad campaign too which I'm slightly ashamed of admitting to owning although I didn't buy it myself..the missus found a copy in the local charity shop and brought it home for me, honest !

:ohmy:                  :wicked:    

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
2 minutes ago, MGM 1251 said:

.....and can you remember those cat food ads aswell....Rubin,John E Paul and the rest...Northern really is exposed to the masses..

great minds etc

Social source share

Guest Denise Zieja
1 hour ago, shufflin said:

c'mon this is as funny as the proverbial, NS free range!

That is hilarious, thanks for posting.

Social source share

Guest Denise Zieja
1 hour ago, shufflin said:

some good tunes in this one, keeping it all underground of course

Much better then ours here in the states. 

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
12 minutes ago, Denise Zieja said:

Much better then ours here in the states. 

it's amazing how much the UK loves US soul and funk music, we grew up with it and I guess it's in our DNA now

Edited by Shufflin
typo
Social source share

15 hours ago, MGM 1251 said:

That’s right,I remember now...think Bob Brady was one of them too “EGTTLI”...

Ikea used a really great female ballad lowrider sound mid last year in the ad.

a previously unissued thing that had only come out fairly recently.

the name passes me by but it was a great choice and shows sometimes they go a bit beyond the obvious.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Ikea used a really great female ballad lowrider sound mid last year in the ad.

a previously unissued thing that had only come out fairly recently.

the name passes me by but it was a great choice and shows sometimes they go a bit beyond the obvious.

Was this it

Wa

Edited by Mick Boyle
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Players no 6 , brilcream , ford cortina , omo washing powder, spangles , Vesta ready meals ,  can you imagine if these products used so called northern soul music back in the day . would we be talking about a poxy egg advert ? 🎭🎶

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Come on train ,  don Thomas, Barclay card ,    if l remember right   classic tune. , raped and pillaged , still gets played and always will 👍👌🎭🎶🎶🎶🎶

Social source share

I'm not saying that I was the reason for the KFC Adverts reference Northern Soul, but a time before the adverts started I had a knock at my door in Wiltshire from a market research company. They asked if I would mind answering a few questions on fast food for a voucher to be sent on at a later date. I thought why not, the person had a laptop and showed me a few advertising videos, after each one they asked me what I thought and did I know the company. The first was for burger king as I noticed the logo, they asked would I buy more of their food, I said no chance!, the second was for Mcdonalds and I answered the same. The third was for KFC with Frank Wilson sound track, I said that it was brilliant and that I would buy more KFC certainly, they asked why and I said- top tune to hear whilst eating your food- we need more adverts like this!!! I chuckled as the market researcher left my house. When I saw the amount of KFC commercials involving soul music in the future, I was shocked- probably just a coincidence!!

• Up vote 2
Social source share

B&Q have been using Sliced Tomatoes for ages but just seen their ad and then followed straight after by some sort of sauce using  Richie Barrett I Will Love You.

Crazy. 

A chocolate bar a while back used Mean Man by Betty Harris . Assume the ad people just type a few words into YT or such like and pick a track from the results.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
9 minutes ago, Rick Cooper said:

B&Q have been using Sliced Tomatoes for ages but just seen their ad and then followed straight after by some sort of sauce using  Richie Barrett I Will Love You.

Crazy. 

A chocolate bar a while back used Mean Man by Betty Harris . Assume the ad people just type a few words into YT or such like and pick a track from the results.

that's incredibly cynical Rick, you mean someone could want to advertise McDonald's, type in big mac soul and come up with this, for example? :-)

Edited by Shufflin
typo
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
29 minutes ago, Alison H said:

This is one I’ve just seen & I like it ... not the soya sauce tho x

fab, it's Richie Barrett I will love you - got this last year

some nice recipes on there too ;-)

Social source share

I just saw the strangest commercial on American tv- it was for legalzoom. It said"this is Frank, this is Frank's record store. Sure - Frank knows his Northern Soul but how to set up a legal limited liability company - not so much". They don't show any Northern 45's, the record playing isn't "Northern" but I think 

this is the first time I ever heard the words Northern Soul used in an American ad. If anyone wants to see it- its on youtube. Type in legalzoom commerical,

and pick "The Story Of Frank".

Edited by the yank
Social source share

7 hours ago, the yank said:

I just saw the strangest commercial on American tv- it was for legalzoom. It said"this is Frank, this is Frank's record store. Sure - Frank knows his Northern Soul but how to set up a legal limited liability company - not so much". They don't show any Northern 45's, the record playing isn't "Northern" but I think 

this is the first time I ever heard the words Northern Soul used in an American ad. If anyone wants to see it- its on youtube. Type in legalzoom commerical,

and pick "The Story Of Frank".

Here it is.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Shufflin
4 minutes ago, Soulhock said:

Heard tonight.  Richie Barrett.....I will love you. On kikkomen advert.

it's  a  good 'un - combines my love of food with soul music

Social source share

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2018 at 20:31, rotherham soul said:

Anybody remember this from a "Persil " advert? ( did anybody find out who it was)?

Your browser does not support the HTML5 audio tag.
persiladd.mp3

Sounds like a track from a music library.  There are a few of them that feature NS pastiches.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!