meaning of northern soul (split from orig topic)

Peter99

25 minutes ago, Olivernorth said:

“Northern soul a dance scene” maybe those not wishing to be asailed by the Various shades of Northern past and present (feeling a sense of embarrassment) maybe best served staying at home listening to the entire back catalogue of Gill Scott Heron to expand your mind wearing comfortable slippers as the call to the dance floor has never been a priority either in the present or past.

One has to be fairly smart before embarking on a tad of sarcasm.

:wicked: 

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

It is,  well spotted👏👍

1 hour ago, britishbarry said:

I thought that was Lonnie Liston Smith 😀😀

16 hours ago, Spain pete said:

?LLS ? ????lm waiting. Gimme

Social source share

Personally,I'd be more than happy to sit and listen to Gil Scott's entire back catalogue.

Id probably start with the 'Im So Much More Than Just A Northern Soul Artist' deluxe Box Set.

Dunno about the expanding the mind bit tho...it's been 'expanded ' in my younger days enough already thanks !:D

• Up vote 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, tomangoes said:

If it was indeed Dave Godin who actually coined the phrase 'Northern Soul', and considering he was a pure soul fan, being subjected to SCRATCHY, COMPARED TO WHAT, GREEN DOOR, and such like, was he was actually taking the P*** ?

Ed

No Ed from what I remember hearing he named it "northern soul" because soul fans from the north of England were visiting London, often to see their football teams play at the weekend. and were popping into the Soul City shop buying uptrmpo soul records. Made it easier for staff to sell records to the northern fans who were looking for that certain dance beat.

Cheers Paul

Edited by soul shrews
spellpng !
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Sounds like a bit of nudge nudge wink wink to me....

Pity we can't ask Dave RIP what he really meant...uptempo soul, in its truest form ? Or the weird and wonderful uptempo sounds that these Northerners like.

Being a Motown man, I wonder what he thought of stuff like there's a ghost in my house and the night??

Anybody on here knew him well? 

Ed

Social source share

43 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

Anybody on here knew him well? 

Ed

Yes,I  knew Dave Godin.

He was good friends with both of my parents in the 1980's and he visited the house on many occasions.

He was a lovely fella too, btw.

Edited by Soulsides
Social source share

2 hours ago, tomangoes said:

What other tracks, apart from the bottle, and please list or include a youtube link, have ever been played at Northern Soul all nighters regularly from the former Celtic player's son's back catalogue? 

Ed

Lady day and John Coltrane has had plenty of spins in the upfront scene. sorry will try to post a link later. 

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
3 hours ago, soul shrews said:

No Ed from what I remember hearing he named it "northern soul" because soul fans from the north of England were visiting London, often to see their football teams play at the weekend. and were popping into the Soul City shop buying uptrmpo soul records. Made it easier for staff to sell records to the northern fans who were looking for that certain dance beat.

Cheers Paul

this is true I think, I've got an interview he gave to a soul magazine stuck in the garage somewhere

yup

Edited by Shufflin
facts
Social source share

"I had started to notice that northern football fans who were in London to follow their team were coming into the store to buy records, but they weren’t interested in the latest developments in the black American chart. I devised the name as a shorthand sales term. It was just to say ‘if you’ve got customers from the north, don’t waste time playing them records currently in the US black chart, just play them what they like - ‘Northern Soul’."[5] 

Quote from Dave Godin's Wikipedia page.

Edited by Soulsides
Social source share

1 hour ago, shufflin said:

this is true I think, I've got an interview he gave to a soul magazine stuck in the garage somewhere

yup

But he does not give an example of what he means?

He says

Don't play them new records from the American chart, play them these sort Northern Soul records.

Ignore the backing music, that's added later along with everything else.

I still think there's a slight hint of sarcasm.

Maybe there is an extended interview where he explains.

Ed

Social source share

On 17/01/2018 at 23:35, geeselad said:

Here you go,  christ I've amazed myself, posted a link from my phone! 

Killa was the first I heard play it about 10 years back in the back room of the King's hall. 

Interesting. So a song that was known to millions of people with absolutley no connection to the northern soul scene in the decades since its release is played on the NS "upfront" scene presumeably as cutting edge?

Like The Bottle it's essentially a jazz record,  albeit contemporary jazz fusion of it's time. 

Edited by maslar
typo
Social source share

2 hours ago, maslar said:

Interesting. So a song that was known to millions of people with absolutley no connection to the northern soul scene in the decades since its release is played on the NS "upfront" scene presumeably as cutting edge?

Like The Bottle it's essentially a jazz record,  albeit contemporary jazz fusion of it's time. 

the question was has anything else by Gill played, didnt realise I needed to justify its merits as 'upfront' as well. Well its fresh to the Northern scene anyway. I sposse it a bit like the oldies crowd playing Mel Torme and 'baby your out of time'.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!