Advice on hosting a possible weekender

Cluffy

This is the plan folks,the "Something Different"Soul Club are thinking about holding a weekender at our home "Shirebrook Staff Sports and Social Club"on the August bank holiday weekend 2018.With us using the social club, playing the usual Something Different soul club sounds, and having a marquee outside as a modern/club classics room .Starting on the Friday 7pm-12pm...,Saturday 1pm-1am.... then Sunday 2pm-6pm....(from 6pm-midnight finishing off with club classics in the marquee)as we would hand the social club back over to the regulars for their Sunday night bingo fix.As the social club has its own camp/caravan site and the football club offering their facilties(showers/toilets etc) it would be ideal for soul fans wishing to travel to the event(the campsite charge £3 per night per unit)otherwise B&Bs and hotels within a 5+mile radius.Only concern I`ve got is numbers turning up, and making the event a worthwhile success, as the whole weekend would be free entry to the club/marquee,so no tickets to be purchased,or booking procedures...so that's the plan,i know it looks good on paper but could it be a goer?...so any sound advice or any  pit falls to be aware off would be greatly appreciated...thanks for reading,gotta get the wheels in motion I aint got long..Ross

Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Without nearby hotels I don't' think it would work.

I'm aware some people have campervans/caravans, but would think they're in a minority.  Most other weekenders have either on site caravans or chalets, or are held in town centres/resorts with hotels nearby.

Speaking for myself couldn't' imagine kipping in a tent ever again. Maybe 30/40 years ago. Sorry.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Supercorsa said:

Without nearby hotels I don't' think it would work.

I'm aware some people have campervans/caravans, but would think they're in a minority.  Most other weekenders have either on site caravans or chalets, or are held in town centres/resorts with hotels nearby.

Speaking for myself couldn't' imagine kipping in a tent ever again. Maybe 30/40 years ago. Sorry.

Got to agree with this. Also,in my opinion any 'nearby' hotels need to be within 1 mile, not a 5 mile radius. Hypothetical really 'cos if bingo is taking priority in any way then it's not a good sign.

Sounds like a lot of work on your part for something that may not get a good take up.

:hatsoff2:- Kev

Social source share

I guess you'd have to come to a deal with a localish hotel (say the Twin Oaks next to the M1). I think (as this is a few miles from the venue), transport to & from hotel may also be necessary ... these factors would probably mean holding it on the bank holiday weekend (& getting good rates & a big allocation of rooms) would be very difficult. 

Shirebrook Stn is within walking distance of venue, any decent hotels close to Mansfield stn ?? (trains to & fro from Mansfield might just work if there is).

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!