The 'upfront scene' ?

Tomangoes

Guest woolie mark

My mate Denzel has just told me that the reason the Lifeline nighters were called "upfront" was because at Sheridens people used to dance behind the decks, and therefore they were up the front :huh:

Social source share

8 hours ago, woolie mark said:

Don't take this the wrong way, because I'm not trying to contradict you Karl, but I first heard the word "upfront" used by Max Rees in the eighties or nineties.  Not relating to northern soul, but events with purist soul playlists including obscure new releases and quality little known oldies.  Probably what we would now call modern soul, but back then modern soul was mainly 70s stuff.  It was common at the time for flyers to have things like "upfront" or "real deal" on them to differentiate the style of music played.  Looking back, it probably had a lot to do with mainstream dance music moving away from it's black American roots.

I can see why the word "upfront" was used to describe the early Lifeline events, because they were hugely important events that (in my humble opinion) revitalised the scene and pushed things forward in a massive way.  That's not taking anything away from venues like the 100 club, which have nearly always been "upfront".

60s, 70s, 80s, or more recent....it was all disco music when it was made, and I love it all. :)

I don't, the term has probably been used throughout the history of the scene at times and music in general.  I don't recall us actually using the term though just something that came more common place as time went on.  We used Rare Soul to describe the music policy if memory serves.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
10 hours ago, DaveNPete said:

Really? We all had seemed to have a copy of this in the late mid 80s - it was part of the 'rhythm n soul' stuff we were into along with Big Daddy Rodgers, Henry Strogen (Misery), Billy Lamont (So Called Friend), Ronnie Forte and the like - didn't get played much and was easy to find (like BDR and RF) - but all my lot knew it down south.

Dx

not bothered if that record qualifies or not, but a bit confused now, thought upfront stuff WAS records which as you said "didn't get played much..."

maybe help if some could post a list of "upfront" records to educate the ignorant

Social source share

Well chill out Sunday in Donny only has two rules..it has to be good (a minefield in itself) and not top 500 by default.

Slow, fast, mid tempo, and basically anything goes by mainly local djs.

If the crowd turn on the dj.....the DJ is requested to change the record:)

Ego's can be easily bruised.

Having said all that it's jam packed every time and the punters come from far and away.

I'm sure it's an UPFRONT style event.

Ed

Edited by tomangoes
Spello
Social source share

39 minutes ago, maslar said:

How many times is a record played on the "Upfront scene" (Trade mark pending) before it is classed as "overplayed" and dropped from the playlist? :g:

A rough estimate will do.

Some records have taken years to become popular but I guess it is subjective. Used to be classed as an oldie within months or even weeks at one time, record seem to hang around for a long time nowadays. 

2 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

Well chill out Sunday in Donny only has two rules..it has to be good (a minefield in itself) and not top 500 by default.

Slow, fast, mid tempo, and basically anything goes by mainly local djs.

If the crowd turn on the dj.....the DJ is requested to change the record:)

Ego's can be easily bruised.

Having said all that it's jam packed every time and the punters come from far and away.

I'm sure it's an UPFRONT style event.

Ed

There is very little upfront if that’s what you wish to call it. Basically two oldies scenes, one playing classics/oldies and the other post Wigan stuff or records ignored at the time. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, chalky said:

Some records have taken years to become popular but I guess it is subjective. Used to be classed as an oldie within months or even weeks at one time, record seem to hang around for a long time nowadays. 

There is very little upfront if that’s what you wish to call it. Basically two oldies scenes, one playing classics/oldies and the other post Wigan stuff or records ignored at the time. 

finally some who talks some sense  .hit the nail right square on the head that is perfect way to describe the allnighter scene

Social source share

36 minutes ago, Mark S said:

Wander into a venue snd they are playing Devonnes I wanna be loved its upfront , however if they are playing April Stevens then not upfront .

Hope that helps .

If they play both we are fooked  :thumbup:

What about upfront oldies  :g: 

Hat. Coat. Door. Just leaving 

Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Spain pete
27 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

Ok

All you pop pickers in the know...name or even better throw in a link, for your current favourite up front tune...

Once we have a dozen or more, I'm sure it will be clear what's what.

Educate the masses!

Ed

6 hours ago, Spain pete said:

Old style but upfront ,   BAGS , HEY GIRL.   How good ? 👌👍👏🎶🎶🎶

Done 👌🎶🎶🎶

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

How? Help? Only just worked out how to record on me betamax video  machine .😱

9 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

Oi Pedro.....its not do it yourself..

Get it done...

Ed

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Herby brown  , one more broken heart .👍🎶🎶. Can you do the hard work for me ? Cheers mate 👏🎶

17 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

Don't be backwards at coming forwards.. 

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
8 minutes ago, chalky said:

Author, me, that is my website

I know I was being a bit cheeky- great site, incredibly informative

Social source share

Guest woolie mark
6 hours ago, tomangoes said:

Ok

All you pop pickers in the know...name or even better throw in a link, for your current favourite up front tune...

Once we have a dozen or more, I'm sure it will be clear what's what.

Educate the masses!

Ed

It don't work like that mate, you have to be there when it happens.

That's why we used to travel 4 hours to get to an event, with no regard to how we were gonna get home with a horrendous come down.

Best times in the world!

Best wishes, Mark

Edited by woolie mark
Social source share

You are right, there seems an unwillingness to share upfront top tunes of today, so let's leave it as a mystery only known by the attendees.

The best tracks as always will go mainstream, and shared by all eventually.

Its what debating forums are all about I guess these days.

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

This is my quandary Russ I really Like Sir Joe - Every Day but I can't get my head around the Triads - If You're Looking For Love, so for me I would be up down, up down with my dance floor reaction, I suppose that wouldn't be a bad thing as I could swig my Lambrini & have time to adjust my handbag between tracks:D:rofl: & as you said the Triads does get a good response it just doesn't fill my soul is that hard to understand?

Kirsty

• Up vote 1
Social source share

No, I do understand Kirsty, not everyone likes every record & records like the Triads have to be placed correctly within a set to get the best response, but there have always been records that not everyone likes, its not just a more recent phenomena ...I love your honesty.....if records wernt at least tried out though, how would we know, there are accounts of some now classic records taking a very long time to gain exceptance...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Some would say they are frightened to post upfront records in case someone points out it was played at  a venue 35 + years ago , NOT ME. 🎶😱

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Koolkat said:

Never heard that Sir Joe before. But I know straight away that I like it. It's weird is taste in music. I mean that Triads..........I turned in off after 20 secs. Just not my style. Only saying.

We all have different tastes, thats all part n parcel n that break in the Sir Joe not so many years ago would have been unacceptable to a lot of people.....thank good ness some people dont always go with the flow.....

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Oh and let's not forget the records that grow on you after hearing them for the umpteenth time , not everything is a instant soul stirrer 🎶🎶👌

Social source share

How different things are these days.   I think back to the glory days of '73/'74 when new discoveries turned up in such quantity and quality, it was breathtaking.  Tomangoes one week, Van Dykes and Morris Chestnut the next...  I know, I know, I'm being obvious, still makes me sad though....

• Up vote 1
Social source share

This topic was closed by the original poster @tomangoes

As said many times on here, if you are going to use this the 'close' topic feature then post up that you have done so along with a reason if possible!

Doing such helps avoid misunderstandings and does keep fellow members in the picture!

Social source share