My First Egyptian 45

Pete S

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I've got a 7" from Nepal somewhere, not soul though, unsurprisingly.

Furthest flung soul record I've got is Linda Lyndell from the Philippines found in a local record shop with John Manship's handwriting on the sleeve speculating that it's a local, Philadelphia release!

At risk of being done for going totally off topic, best Egyptian record is Jonathon Richman 'Egyptian Reggae'. Always went down a bomb when played at parties for a more general music loving crowd. I reckon you could just about pull it off at a broad-minded enough soul night, given enough alcohol! 

(Edit: Actually, just listened to 'Egyptian Reggae'. Definitely sounds like something that Roger Eagle might have played had it been around in the early days of The Wheel!) 

Edited by JoeSoap
Social source share

No surprise that there were Soul records in The Philippines during the 1960s.  It was a US territory with US military personnel stationed there.  But why would RCA print The Lollipops' record in Egypt???  There were some Brits there, but I'll bet that song got no airplay in The UK.  It didn't even get played in USA outside The Northeast.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Mind you that Cairo was "Western" orientated then, like Beirut (Lebanon) and Istanbul (Turkey) and there was a clubbing night life for the most Jet-Setters chosen few then. Also I believe more that it could be through the French "channels" that those labels got such releases over there...

Edited by tlscapital
Social source share

Who knows how and why a particular record gets released in a foreign country and others don't? Some are obvious, some not so. E.g why was The Hesitations INBTW/Soul Superman released in Holland and not the UK? Or any other European country for that matter? As for Egypt - I don't really have any knowledge of how record were released (or what were imported - if any)  or  for what reason. The absence of the American fleet aside :g:the obvious answer is a perceived market/demand  from young people. Then again maybe they specifically released records that could be used in the belly dancing dens in the casbah (in the absence of the US cavalry of course). The Beatles releases only amount to the  last two LPs I think and those are very rare (there might have been one of two singles, I'm not sure). I've seen a pic of an Egyptian copy of Baby Love. It looks to me like releaes were done on very idiosyncratic manner - probably due to the whims of individuals more than anything else. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert