Bradford Mecca

Mod66

Anyone remember the Soul nights at Bradford Mecca.

My wife, Diane, was friends with a couple of girls - Janice and Julie who might have gone but mainly went to the Heartbeat. Anyone know them. Sorry no surnames.

Also, and totally unrelated to Soul, does anyone remember Alfresco Garage in Manningham. I worked there in 1969 then moved to Shropshire.Is it still there etc.

Paul AKA Mod66

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I used to go to the Mecca on Monday (soul) nights, DJ was Prince John, saw the Equals there one night, Jimmy Saville was compare. Lots of the Shipley Seven Seas mob and Bradford  Hole in The Wall people used to go. Alfresco garage long gone the building isn't even there now.

Social source share

6 hours ago, Kegsy said:

I used to go to the Mecca on Monday (soul) nights, DJ was Prince John, saw the Equals there one night, Jimmy Saville was compare. Lots of the Shipley Seven Seas mob and Bradford  Hole in The Wall people used to go.

Me too! :yes: Don' think Monday nights were specifically soul nights Kegsy? They did play lots of soul & Motown but also all sorts of pop chart music if my memory serves me correctly!

Edited by Stubbsy
Add info
Social source share

Sadly the Bradford Mecca Locarno has been derelict for many years now and given Bradford's very unfortunate tendency for un-wanted buildings to suddenly burst into flames in the middle of the night I'm surpried to see it still standing.

Have a look at the website of Mark Davis (Professional Photographer) to see his fascinating pictures taken of the interior of the club. The date of when the photographs were taken is unknown (probably within the last 5-10 years at least).

Derek

https://www.mark-davis-photography.com/?s=Bradford+Mecca

Social source share

14 hours ago, Derek Pearson said:

Sadly the Bradford Mecca Locarno has been derelict for many years now and given Bradford's very unfortunate tendency for un-wanted buildings to suddenly burst into flames in the middle of the night I'm surpried to see it still standing.

Have a look at the website of Mark Davis (Professional Photographer) to see his fascinating pictures taken of the interior of the club. The date of when the photographs were taken is unknown (probably within the last 5-10 years at least).

Derek

https://www.mark-davis-photography.com/?s=Bradford+Mecca

That's not how I remember it Derek - circa 1969 - 1972! :thumbup:

Social source share

I Remember entering a Karate Competition run by John Brown at his club somewhere in Bradford.We took our team over from Huddersfield and because of the large number of entrants had to change venues and continued at Maestros night club on manningham lane. I remember it because it stuck in my mind as it was a nightclub. I also remember we didn't win but came I think it was 3rd or 4th. Regards Fred. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert