Inquiring Minds Would Like To Know

Guest Kingofretrosoul

Inquiring Minds Would Like To Know  

1. 1. Is Instrumental Soul Music Still Popular?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do You Think Retro Soul Music is More Popular In Europe Than The U.S.?

• Yes
    • No

I've answered both questions anyway but some definition of "retro" might help. Daptone? Ian Levine? Diane Shaw? Bettye Lavette?

Recently on another thread it was pointed out that "contemporary" soul hasn't really moved on since the 90s. Does that make it retro too? By retro, do we mean 60s?

Across the soul spectrum from northern to jazz and everything in between, the difference for me between good and bad retro is often a question of production. Too much clinical precision can destroy whatever warmth might have existed otherwise. This is a recurring problem with instrumental funk and jazz funk, which can sound simultaneously technically brilliant and utterly flat, at least to these ears. Some of the Daptone-ish stuff can be a bit clinical for me, as if reverence for the original sound has taken away the joy and spontaneity that made the original sound original in the first place. It's almost like an overreaction to synthesisers and programming. But it seems to be popular, so that takes care of question 2 perhaps!

Good topic - looking forward to more views.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I'd also like to know what 'retro soul music' is.

My view is that rock 'n' roll (or whatever you want to call it) and all its offshoots, of which I believe soul music (and all its offshoots) is one, was a phenomenon of a particular period in history that has ended. There used to be continuous progression but big shifts every 10 -11 years but that doesn't seem to have happened since the late 80s. So therefore, a soul record from 1965 isn't a 'retro soul' record, it's just a soul record from the 60s.

We live in a different era now and I think in general, the music of all kinds that is made these days is just self-conscious variants on what has been done before without adding much that is spontaneous or new. This can be enjoyable but its rarely innovative or different or fresh so is less interesting to me personally. For example, I think 'indie' rock bands are still harking back to the post-punk era. 'Retro-soul' bands from Australia or wherever, trying to replicate the sound of the JBs, etc and as played on the dreadful Craig Charles' radio show are just pub bands basicallly and I couldn't be less interested.

Edited by JoeSoap
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

We live in a different era now and I think in general, the music of all kinds that is made these days is just self-conscious variants on what has been done before without adding much that is spontaneous or new. This can be enjoyable but its rarely innovative or different or fresh so is less interesting to me personally. For example, I think 'indie' rock bands are still harking back to the post-punk era. 'Retro-soul' bands from Australia or wherever, trying to replicate the sound of the JBs, etc and as played on the dreadful Craig Charles' radio show are just pub bands basicallly and I couldn't be less interested

I so agree. I just took to mean 60's soul when i voted

Social source share

If the latest evil-bay sales are anything to go by & if you mean 60's soul then the answer has to be a big fat yes & it's collectors & DJ's all over the world who prize the possession of what you are calling Retro Soul & these die hards talk with their wallets!!! Regards Kirsty

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!