News: Dennis Edwards R.I.P.

Chalky

What sad, sad news. For me one of the really great singers who had so many memorable hits not just with The Temptations, but solo and also with The Contours. 

"It Was The Third Of September" , an all time great. Also his lead on The Contours version of It's Growing, just superb. Plus so many others.

RIP Mr. Edwards you were simply wonderful.

Kev Jones

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest WakefieldArchive

R.I.P Dennis, and thanks for your music! My father's band played with the Contours a couple of times in D.C. back in the day, and Dennis signed this. 

2018-02-02 22.25.52.jpg

Social source share

What a pity it was that he was only on a basic salary as a member of the Temptations and so wasn't really able to benefit from being the lead vocalist on all those hits by the group. That's the reason he kept quitting, to go solo (or to leave the music biz). He even had a spell laying tarmac with family members (cousins) up in Cleveland. It was after that period, that he hooked up with members of Truth to return to performing. Of course, when he'd got 'the bug' back, he returned to the Tempts for one last spell. He took a song he'd co-written in Cleveland back with him & the Tempts went ahead & cut it (I'm Coming Home). R I P.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

13 hours ago, John Hart said:

Total respect too a truly great Artiste ,a Megastar ,forget the rest ,Dennis Edwards was the Real Deal ! From ;Johnny to Loser,to Psychedelic Rolling Stone ,and Beyond! My All Time Fave track ;Baby Hit and Run !   What,s Your Dennis Legacy Track?

Fave 2 tracks, I didn’t have to,Gotta find a way to get you back. I remember seeing him live along with David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks at Doncaster dome,simply amazing. RIP Dennis Edwards. 

Social source share

Had the pleasure to see Dennis performing a good few times in his fantastic career the last time when he was fronting the Temptations4 years ago and he was as good as he always was a terrific artist with a terrific front man voice with a powerful stage presence similar to Edwin Starr I hope they are doing a duet together in Soul Heaven I for one would love to hear it

Rest in Peace Dennis you thoroughly deserve it

ML

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Roburt said:

What a pity it was that he was only on a basic salary as a member of the Temptations and so wasn't really able to benefit from being the lead vocalist on all those hits by the group. That's the reason he kept quitting, to go solo (or to leave the music biz). He even had a spell laying tarmac with family members (cousins) up in Cleveland. It was after that period, that he hooked up with members of Truth to return to performing. Of course, when he'd got 'the bug' back, he returned to the Tempts for one last spell. He took a song he'd co-written in Cleveland back with him & the Tempts went ahead & cut it (I'm Coming Home). R I P.

That's interesting.  I've been looking at various accounts of his career this morning. Another version I've seen is he kept being fired. Be great to read a definitive account of the fascinating story of The Temptations - so many interesting and enigmatic characters and events involved. Don't suppose we'll ever see one now that all the main participants are sadly no longer with us.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!