‘Hard’ 60s Soul Sounds

By way of a change I thought that I’d make myself a compilation of Stax/Atlantic type sounds a la Sam & Dave, Wilson Pickett, Solomon Burke etc.

I’m having a lack of imagination problem however so any suggestions of mid to uptempo sounds in that vein would be extremely welcome.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by Tony Turner
Spelling
Social source share

Here's a few that I can think of at this early time of the day

Eddie Floyd :-Things get better,               Bring it on home to me.                           Sam & Dave:-Soul Man, Hold on i'm   coming.                                                     Johnnie Taylor :-Who's making love,     I ain't particular, Friday Night.                 Staple Singers:-Respect Yourself,         I'll take you there.                                    Carla Thomas :-B-A-B-Y.                          Roy Docker:-Mellow Moonlight.            The Short Kuts :- Your eyes may shine.

Hope this helps. All the best, Fred 

Apologies as the layout hasn't come out as I typed it.         

Edited by Mr Fred
Social source share

OP wrote regarding a compilation of Stax-Atlantic TYPE sounds. I took this to mean similar sounding tunes, but NOT released on either Stax or Atlantic, and not by any of those labels artists? If so, and I'm not being a complete doofus, how about Oscar Toney Jr. "No Sad Songs". Wheel classic, rarely heard today. 

Social source share

7 hours ago, Joey said:

OP wrote regarding a compilation of Stax-Atlantic TYPE sounds. I took this to mean similar sounding tunes, but NOT released on either Stax or Atlantic, and not by any of those labels artists? If so, and I'm not being a complete doofus, how about Oscar Toney Jr. "No Sad Songs". Wheel classic, rarely heard today. 

Social source share

Absolutely, in fact the Joe Simon version, in my humble opinion, is far superior to Oscars. I only referenced the Oscar version due to it being the grittier of the two, and therefore more in keeping with what the OP was possibly looking for. And speaking of what the OP was initially asking for, and if he's still looking at Sam and Dave, avoid the obvious, and plump for "Soul sister brown sugar" and "I thank you"  Both top quality dancers, played most everywhere, "back in the day", and would still fill a floor today. 

Edited by Guest
Addition
Social source share

From the Knock on Wood album, Eddie's take on the old Pearlean Grey Torch monster tune. People used to slate me for playing this in 74, but I still think its a creditable version, and a fine mid tempo dancer.

Social source share

Here,s a couple of  tracks that may fit the bill.

Sam & Dave : Said I wasn't gonna tell nobody.

Clarence Carter : Funky fever.

Oh, another one that I forgot to add:

Ann Mason :  You can't love me in the midnight hour.

Edited by outofstep
forgot to add artist and record title
Social source share

2 minutes ago, outofstep said:

Here,s a couple of  tracks that may fit the bill.

Sam & Dave : Said I wasn't gonna tell nobody.

Clarence Carter : Funky fever.

Both super tracks. 👍 There's also a plethora of Soul Bros Six tunes which would grace any compilation. 

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts
On 04/02/2018 at 11:54, MGM 1251 said:

Here’s Wilmer and the Dukes,giving up a fine impersonation of Otis Redding...72268F61-D4BA-46AF-845D-D0C2B3C73E76.thumb.jpeg.a3e638a105a60125ca37d49c8128949d.jpeg

Love this ,,

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!