slow/mid-tempo New Orleans - any suggestions?

Ljblanken

I just got a great copy of "you, you" by WIllie Harper (awesome) and gave it some spins. I then pulled out some similar sounds like Zilla Mayes "all I want is you" and Irma Thomas "ruler of my heart" and Wanda Rouzan "long time no see", Benny Spellman's "sinner girl", etc. 

I'm looking for suggestions on other New Orleans  sounds (little more on the obscure side if possible). I'm sure folks here know a lot more than I do!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by ljblanken
Social source share

Lil Willie   West Don't Be Ashamed To Cry   Frisco

The Brilliants   What You Gonna Do   Frisco

The Voice Masters   Two Lovers/In Love In Vain   Frisco (NOLA label but the ggroups from t. Louis)

Curtis Johnson   If You Need Love/I've Got To Get Away From You   Whurley Burley/Hotline

(I have a Hotline copy for sale BTW)

The Sonics   Just Like Delilah   White Cliffs

The Sonics   Come Home Baby   White Cliffs

Roland Stone   Remember That   White Cliffs

Sonny Fisher   Oh Love This Is Sonny   Tou-Sea

Betty Taylor  You're A Winner   Nola

Robbie Lee   Sad Sad World   Excel

Raymond Lewis   Life Is A Well Made Plan   Bonatemp

Dave

• Up vote 3
Social source share

i'm very much a fan of some of the releases on the Rosemont logo, favorites include Alex Speaman 'Stairway to nowhere' Eugene Gaspard 'On and on' Lombard 'On a beautifull day like this'. Also Family underground's  version of 'For the love of you' on Powerfunksion records does it for me ,with almost a kick drum feel. All in the sweet to mid- tempo vain.

Andy

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Always liked these two. Both came out by Ronnie Barron, who's the singer but slightly different takes. These versions turned up on a terrific budget LP credited to great Dr John in the 70s.  Ronnie Barron and Dr John worked together in the early 1960s.

...There's also a stomping Northern instrumental on this LP!

Edited by JoeSoap
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

I was first introduced to great slow / mid tempo NOla soul back in the mid 60's via the great EMI comp LP series BELL'S CELLAR OF SOUL ....

Check Discogs for the track listing on Vols. 1, 2 & 3 ... some great tracks from the likes of Lee Dorsey, Sonny Fisher and many more (not all for NOla but enough are).

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!