Connie Clark My Sugar Baby

15 hours ago, Robbk said:

Herman Griffin.  The one who lived in Detroit, worked at Motown, and met Mary when she was a late teen.  Griffith was a D.J. in L.A., and worked for L.A. Jobete Music, and Joker Records. 

Also known as Herman Lewis of ‘who’s kissing you tonite’ on stone blue and mercury!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Tomangoes said:

Yes I can see that 'former' husband BUT in her apartment...

Like something out of POWER on Netflix.. 

Ed

Griffin was trying to be Mary's manager (agent and advisor) again, like he had been both before, and while they were married.  And, he didn't like the influence Robert West had on her, as her advisor.  Griffin had advised Mary to threaten to leave Motown, unless they'd come up with a much larger contract, and pay her all the money she'd earn from them, instead of them only giving her an allowance, and "managing" it for her.  Of course, Berry Gordy didn't go for that.  So, she left.   And now, Griffin thought, she was on the verge of becoming a mega star with 20th Century Fox, and their big media empire. 

Reportedly, West told Griffin to get out of Mary's life, once and for all.  Apparently, that was too much for the jealous Griffin to take from West, who Griffin saw as being the only thing in his way from getting back in Mary's good graces as her advisor, and getting in on her coming gravy train.  But, the jealousy clouded his mind enough to make him do something very stupid.  Luckily, for him and West, he wasn't a good shot, and West recovered, and Griffin had a long career in music after that.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 15/05/2020 at 19:18, Robbk said:

After listening to several Chris Clark cuts, I've changed my mind.  I'm very confident that Chris and Connie were two different people.  Every song sung by Chris Clark that I've played, and can remember in my head has her with a lighter, less full voice, which gets "breathy" whenever she reaches for higher notes, or at the end of extending to a longer note/  Connie, on the other hand, has a more full, and heavy voice all through her song, and her voice never gets "breathy", even when she extends for a long note, or in reaching for the high end of her range.  Also, although their individual tones are fairly close as unrelated people go, they are different enough to surmise that they are different people (e.g. ALL Chris Clark's recordings reveal personal tones that are much more alike (with each other), than they are to Connie's "My Sugar Baby".   So, until I hear other cuts by Connie that have her singing in a lighter, less full voice, with a tone closer to Chris', AND getting "breathy" when extending a long note, or to the high end of her range, I'll continue to feel very confident that they are/were two different people.

That piqued my interest and I've been interspersing Connie Clark with Chris Clark and you can definitely hear the differences. Connie has a much more strident voice and Chris does have more of a growl/warble on certain high notes which isn't present on My Sugar Baby, could be the song of course? but I'd agree it sounds like two different people.

It is so tempting with the Frank Wilson connection and same surname to associate them but I'd bet on them being totally different singers.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

44 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Saying Connie is Chris is just a lazy assumption because of the obvious connection between Frank and Chris. There never has been any basic evidence they were one and the same. 

My hearing isn't the best, but no way do they sound even remotely familiar IMO

• Up vote 1
Social source share

22 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

Connie Clark sounds as white as the driven snow, just like Chris Clark....and like kiki Dee has that deep sultry note in the range to make you wonder...

And that's how it is:)

Ed

I agree, a blue-eyed soulstress. I've always thought that, despite obviously thinking it was Chris at first. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
16 hours ago, Soul-slider said:

Just an update...

clark.thumb.JPG.762704534504c178f4130220a3b7964c.JPG

Suggests what everyone thought but could just be going along with fellow Motown fans' assumption.

Unless he can give us a source for that info or prove it then I think he has simply assumed like many others

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!