marty57 profile photo

Johnnie on the spot, Dennis Edwards.

Posted

First time i come across this was in 2004 on a vinyl compilation called northern soul in the city, totally blew me away. Very rare on a lable called International soulsville.What i would like to know is who discovered it ? When & where it was first played? Current value too, & just how rare is it ? Hope someone out there can help, many thanks Martin.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

It was on a millionaires cd (vol 2) late 90s prior to that which tim brown compiled he may have discovered it ?

 

i agree it is a fantastic record a great double sider.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Big record for Soul Sam in early to mid 90's, maybe 1993 or so. I think it was fairly new (to Sam) about then. It may have bee around before then, but that's the first copy I ever saw.

Cheers
Mick

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Hi

Martin Koppel, discovered it, first heard it on a detroit rarities tape Martin did

in the late 80s, early nineties i think, tape had some cracking stuff on , freddy butler, save your love-wheelsvile ect

and if i remember right, the B side to jonny on the spot was good as well, still have the tape just nothing to play it on

ATB

Floyd:thumbsup:

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Think it was 90 or 91 when it arrived on these shores. I’ll ask Andy Dyson as he was there at the time if memory serves. Unless of course he sees this topic befoore I get to ask. 

Edited by chalky

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Didn't Rod Shard/Dave Withers turn one up I seem to recall....

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Thanks for the response guys , yep other side mid tempo magic , 'did'nt know how to',   i've heard Ted Masey has a copy & might be playing  it Saturday at North Wings soul nite near Chesterfield, heres hoping , fitting tribute to Dennis me thinks .

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Rich Buckley said:

Didn't Rod Shard/Dave Withers turn one up I seem to recall....

Yes Rod Shard and Alex Jones found one on one of their trips in USA. Just asked Alge who had that copy off them. He thinks Nigel Parker got that.

Cheers

Phil

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

It was played as part of a tribute to Dennis Edwards on Monday evening on the Radio Uckfield 105 soul show. The Big A C also played a three song tribute to Danny Woods. Musical taste is personal of course but for me 'Johnny On The Spot' isn't a good song or a good listen.

Edited by Firecrest

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, chalky said:

Think it was 90 or 91 when it arrived on these shores. I’ll ask Andy Dyson as he was there at the time if memory serves. Unless of course he sees this topic befoore I get to ask. 

You lost a clean decade there mate, It was 80 / 81 . Sam was first to play, I'm trying to remember what the cover-up artist was .... Hmm?

Oh, and Rushy had it not long after (I think) :g:

Edited by Tai-Pan

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Seem to recall reading in an issue of Shades of Soul that Tim Brown (quote from himself in an article therein) that he supplied Sam with the first copy. Shall look through to find which issue (sure it was after issue 11).

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

wasn't this pressed in the 90s? Reversed labels, white. Contrary to the original, labels correct and black. Or am I mixing it up?

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Benji said:

wasn't this pressed in the 90s? Reversed labels, white. Contrary to the original, labels correct and black. Or am I mixing it up?

You’re correct, it was pressed up in the 90’s. Labels were the right way round but some may have been faulty. The original has red and black details on a white label easily distinguished from the plainer pressing. I think the pressings were done in Detroit - I got my copy at Street Corner Records where it was in the racks with a few other Detroit sounding pressings, one of which had reversed labels and maybe handwritten credits. Original is very rare and both sides are good - Johnny On The Spot is a terrific up-tempo dancer, surely one of Dennis’ best releases...

Edited by FRANKIE CROCKER
typo

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Thanks for confirming that. For a moment I thought I was making it up. However, I strongly disagree on this being one of Dennis best. I think both sides are awful :thumbup:

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
9 hours ago, Benji said:

Thanks for confirming that. For a moment I thought I was making it up. However, I strongly disagree on this being one of Dennis best. I think both sides are awful :thumbup:

Oh really i would be very interested to know what you consider to be a good example of 'northern soul' , start a thread & tell us .

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Not a Ted nor a Soul Sam record, by far not. Actually its been played at Stafford already, Steve Smith aired it. But it might have been just the odd one or two spins which explains why when Tim Brown started olaying it after him (the better of the two great sides, I Didnt Have To) he claimed to have duscovered it. So its Steve and Tim. Mid Eighties.

Edited by Marc Forrest

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
9 hours ago, Benji said:

Thanks for confirming that. For a moment I thought I was making it up. However, I strongly disagree on this being one of Dennis best. I think both sides are awful :thumbup:

Haha, Benji....for a moment I thought you are being serious. You are not, arent you ;) 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
36 minutes ago, Marc Forrest said:

Not a Ted nor a Soul Sam record, by far not. Actually its been played at Stafford already, Steve Smith aired it. But it might have been just the odd one or two spins which explains why when Tim Brown started olaying it after him (the better of the two great sides, I Didnt Have To) he claimed to have duscovered it. So its Steve and Tim. Mid Eighties.

First I heard of it being a Stafford play. I don’t recall hearing it in the 80s. 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Guest chorleybloke profile photo
Posted

Booted on a black label.. in the 80s I think.  The w/d is rare enough but there's also a beige issue you never see.  Total number of known copies?.... hard to say but my guess would be less than 20 and one of those that would go mental at auction methinks.  One of the top 3 double-siders of all time IMO.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Hi

Tim must have got it off his business partner Martin Koppell in the 80s

as tim, martin and john farrell came round my house and bought my first collection off me in the 80s

and i had already had martins detroit tape for some time  (with johnny on the spot on) by then

as i said in previos message i still have tape, will try and dig it out to see if its got a date on the tape

ATB

Floyd:thumbsup:

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

one of the highlights of a famous trip over 20 years ago was to bring back the original  cream issue of dennis edwards johnny on the spot /i didn,t have to..when in detroit we also came across the black pressed up copies there were a few 25 count boxes  at the time i recall.

Quote

 

 

Edited by stanley
  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
7 hours ago, Marc Forrest said:

Haha, Benji....for a moment I thought you are being serious. You are not, arent you ;) 

I am. Neither side excites me the slightest.

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
8 hours ago, chalky said:

First I heard of it being a Stafford play. I don’t recall hearing it in the 80s. 

Nigel Parker put the other side on a tape for me that was mid to late 80s.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 8 February 2018 at 11:00, floyd said:

Hi

Martin Koppel, discovered it, first heard it on a detroit rarities tape Martin did

in the late 80s, early nineties i think, tape had some cracking stuff on , freddy butler, save your love-wheelsvile ect

and if i remember right, the B side to jonny on the spot was good as well, still have the tape just nothing to play it on

ATB

Floyd:thumbsup:

I was at tim brown's place in the late 8ts/early 9ts (can't remember exactly when) and he told me that he'd just got one of the best unknowns for a long time and he played me the two sides covered up. It wasn't for sale; he just wanted me to hear it and i wasn't unimpressed!!   I assumed Martin K had found it, but i later heard that it had been discovered by Craig Moerer and sent to Anglo American.  Ill ask Craig to confirm this sometime, or someone else can.

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
18 hours ago, Benji said:

However, I strongly disagree on this being one of Dennis best. I think both sides are awful :thumbup:

Pray tell me, which are Dennis’ best tracks?

Remember, there’s no such thing as a bad soul record, it’s just that some are much better than others...

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
17 minutes ago, neckender said:

I was at tim brown's place in the late 8ts/early 9ts (can't remember exactly when) and he told me that he'd just got one of the best unknowns for a long time and he played me the two sides covered up. It wasn't for sale; he just wanted me to hear it and i wasn't unimpressed!!   I assumed Martin K had found it, but i later heard that it had been discovered by Craig Moerer and sent to Anglo American.  Ill ask Craig to confirm this sometime, or someone else can.

If you were impressed, that that counts as an excellent record in any language. If a record impresses on the first listening, it’s probably because it is very good and will sound better and better with further spins.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Pretty sure I saw one in Kenny Burrell's box a few years ago. I remember because I love both sides & It's the only time I've seen one.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, neckender said:

I was at tim brown's place in the late 8ts/early 9ts (can't remember exactly when) and he told me that he'd just got one of the best unknowns for a long time and he played me the two sides covered up. It wasn't for sale; he just wanted me to hear it and i wasn't unimpressed!!   I assumed Martin K had found it, but i later heard that it had been discovered by Craig Moerer and sent to Anglo American.  Ill ask Craig to confirm this sometime, or someone else can.

Now you mention it Craig is the story I was told by Andy.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
4 hours ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Pray tell me, which are Dennis’ best tracks?

Remember, there’s no such thing as a bad soul record, it’s just that some are much better than others...

A good start could be 'When the lights come down on love', then listen to 45 on Soulville Int. I think most soul fans who listen to all genres rare or otherwise would agree the vocal on the 'Johnny' side is rather tired and safe, saved slightly by Joe hunter's arrangment, but then you could hear that on a thousand other Detroit 45's. Had it come pressed up in quantity on Ric-Tic or similar you would probably never hear it again. Or just check out some of his performances with the Contours or Temp's. Flip side's a tad better I suppose. Remember, there's no such thing as a bad soul record, it's just that some are better than others.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
16 hours ago, neckender said:

I was at tim brown's place in the late 8ts/early 9ts (can't remember exactly when) and he told me that he'd just got one of the best unknowns for a long time and he played me the two sides covered up. It wasn't for sale; he just wanted me to hear it and i wasn't unimpressed!!   I assumed Martin K had found it, but i later heard that it had been discovered by Craig Moerer and sent to Anglo American.  Ill ask Craig to confirm this sometime, or someone else can.

True Mark, spoke to Tim the other day. Heres his story "I got this copy in a box of random 45s from Craig 1989, That was the first copy to have entered the UK. Started playing it as c/up. That was before Martin got hold of a copy and put it on his tape.";)

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

That’s a good 45 to get in a random box of 45s.

 

i wonder how much that box cost and what else was in it....

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 2/8/2018 at 13:08, marty57 said:

Thanks for the response guys , yep other side mid tempo magic , 'did'nt know how to',   i've heard Ted Masey has a copy & might be playing  it Saturday at North Wings soul nite near Chesterfield, heres hoping , fitting tribute to Dennis me thinks .

Regret selling it but pleased ted as it and spins it 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Incorrect info 😖

Edited by theothertosspot
Amendment

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Going to give my 'issue' a spin at the  Soul Discharge Allnighter in Campillos on 3rd March:thumbup:

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Steve Smith has said on Facebook it was well after Stafford, late 80s early 90s.  I spoke to Andy Dyson, he reckons it was 90/91 when Tim Brown got his copy.  Andy began working for Tim in Jan 81 and it wasn't there then.  Koppell's came after that once he knew what it was.  Sam bought Tim's copy eventually and others such as Steve got it cut from a tape off kopek which must have been after Tim's turned up via Moerer if Andy's timeline is right.  Easy to get dates wrong by a year or two either side.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Greatest respect to all you top guys for discovering all the great rare tunes over the years, i thank you all , ATB & Keep on keeping on .

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 10/02/2018 at 11:44, Hitsville Chalky said:

Regret selling it but pleased ted as it and spins it 

Last night Chalks 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

which side ted ?

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Johnny, George was a request

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

This record seems to be one that some enjoy whilst others , including myself, think it poor. Dennis Edwards was great when in The Contours and The Temps but many of his solo sides are sub standard. Even some of The Temps albums where he is the predominate singer such as 'Wings of Love' are disappointing. I know he had one or two huge sellers but he's an artist who could have achieved more solo success given his  fine voice and stage presence.

Edited by Firecrest
  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Guest Spain pete profile photo
Posted

Maybe he should have joined a boy band and had a couple of no 1smash hits  , l think your talking tosh mate 👎🙅

52 minutes ago, Firecrest said:

This record seems to be one that some enjoy whilst others , including myself, think it poor. Dennis Edwards was great when in The Contours and The Temps but many of his solo sides are sub standard. Even some of The Temps albums where he is the predominate singer such as 'Wings of Love' are disappointing. I know he had one or two huge sellers but he's an artist who could have achieved more solo success given his  fine voice and stage presence.

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

To enjoy this record at it’s best, you need to hear it in a dancehall, on a loud system, everyone up for it and in the mood to dance. This is not Ball Of Confusion, Papa Was A Rolling Stone etc, another Motown packaged tune on an oldies radio station. Neither is it James Brown screaming his head off demanding to be in the spotlight. This is Mr Cool, laid back, moonlighting in a Detroit studio with some of the best session men around - Dennis’ delivery is clear but not overpowering. Although a Detroit track, you wouldn’t know it because of the arrangement, the rat-a-tat-tat machine gun drumming which is pretty unique, the full-on backing singers, maybe even borrowed from Motown? Definitely one of the best tunes spun at the do’s promoted by Ion on Jermyn Street, London back in the 90’s - back then, it rattled the boards as a relatively new discovery, seldom played out due to rarity and was certainly appreciated by those in the know.

  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

I had never come across this expression "Johnnie on the Spot" outside of this record.

From the lyrics I get the gist of what it means.

Is it commonly used in the U.S.?

 

 

 

Edited by MBarrett

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
3 hours ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

To enjoy this record at it’s best, you need to hear it in a dancehall, on a loud system, everyone up for it and in the mood to dance. This is not Ball Of Confusion, Papa Was A Rolling Stone etc, another Motown packaged tune on an oldies radio station. Neither is it James Brown screaming his head off demanding to be in the spotlight. This is Mr Cool, laid back, moonlighting in a Detroit studio with some of the best session men around - Dennis’ delivery is clear but not overpowering. Although a Detroit track, you wouldn’t know it because of the arrangement, the rat-a-tat-tat machine gun drumming which is pretty unique, the full-on backing singers, maybe even borrowed from Motown? Definitely one of the best tunes spun at the do’s promoted by Ion on Jermyn Street, London back in the 90’s - back then, it rattled the boards as a relatively new discovery, seldom played out due to rarity and was certainly appreciated by those in the know.

I agree certainly sounded awesome played out Saturday nite , only the 3rd time i have heard it loud & proud , hope Ted plays it regular . Those that like it request it, yea , stop him playing them there R&B sounds 😁

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, MBarrett said:

I had never come across this expression "Johnnie on the Spot" outside of this record.

From the lyrics I get the gist of what it means.

Is it commonly used in the U.S.?

 

 

 

Is opposite to johnnie come lately ?

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, MBarrett said:

I had never come across this expression "Johnnie on the Spot" outside of this record.

From the lyrics I get the gist of what it means.

Is it commonly used in the U.S.?

 

 

 

It looks as though it was:
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/johnny-on-the-spot

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
55 minutes ago, Missing Link said:

Thanks. interesting that it says "dated." Makes me feel better that I never came across it elsewhere. :)

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, marty57 said:

I agree certainly sounded awesome played out Saturday nite , only the 3rd time i have heard it loud & proud , hope Ted plays it regular . Those that like it request it, yea , stop him playing them there R&B sounds 😁

He wasn’t actually moonlighting as it was recorded before he joined the contours at Motown,however as far as the musicians are concerned that could be a different matter as I wouldn’t be surprised if members of the Funk Brothers are playing on it. 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 09/02/2018 at 17:05, neckender said:

I was at tim brown's place in the late 8ts/early 9ts (can't remember exactly when) and he told me that he'd just got one of the best unknowns for a long time and he played me the two sides covered up. It wasn't for sale; he just wanted me to hear it and i wasn't unimpressed!!   I assumed Martin K had found it, but i later heard that it had been discovered by Craig Moerer and sent to Anglo American.  Ill ask Craig to confirm this sometime, or someone else can.

Didn't you have a copy mid 90's Butch? Seem to remember you playing 'I didn't have to' at niters around that time i.e. Bretby

Share this forum post


soul source url

Look At Your Box - Source Forum

Get into the record & soul music talk

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

  1. Johnnie Mae Matthews - I Have No Choice
    Record Sales by Mr Blue on Mon 13 Jan 2020
    • 1 / 542
    • Mr Blue on 13 Jan 2020
  2. Johnnie Jackson & The Blazers
    Record Wants by Woza1 on Sat 11 Jan 2020
    • 4 / 252
    • Jnixon on 11 Jan 2020
  3. JOHNNIE MAE MATTHEWS
    Record Wants by Nitram on Sun 29 Dec 2019
    • 2 / 218
    • Nitram on 29 Dec 2019
  4. Johnnie mae Matthews. BIG D
    Record Wants by Nitram on Thu 19 Dec 2019
    • 1 / 184
    • Nitram on 19 Dec 2019
  5. JOHNNIE MAE MATTHEWS DON'T TALK ABOUT MY MAN BIG D 855
    Record Wants by Nitram on Mon 09 Dec 2019
    • 1 / 178
    • Nitram on 09 Dec 2019

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.