ZoomSoulBlue

New device allows you to DJ without using a needle

Ok I've got to admit - I've watched it twice and still can't work it out - however it could be an age thing 

A new device called Phase allows you to DJ without using a needle, reports The Verge.

Debuted at this year’s NAMM festival, Phase features two rectangular, battery-powered transmitters that you attach to the centre of each record.

VF-PhaseDJsoftware1.png

Whereas the needle would previously track any changes in speed or direction on timecode vinyl, Phase uses a radio signal to relays any changes in motion to your laptop’s digital vinyl software (e.g. Serato or Traktor).

The product is expected to retail for approximately $300.

It works with any DVS. A hub sits between your turntables and your mixer and sends wireless data to a reader that sits on top of your record. The hub also acts as a charger for the readers. Eliminating all the issues you can face with needles and they're portable.  Obviously there's some turntablist stuff like needle dropping that can't be done with this, but from a DVS using club DJ perspective this has got a lot of the DJ's that I've spoken with very excited and eager to try this out.

It's definitely not something that's of interest to myself although I can see the attraction of using a set up like this for a lot of DJ's who play out on a regular basis,absolutely.

So it doesn't actually play the record, you've got to actually have the track on your laptop.  All the transmitters do is pick up the speed and direction that the records are moving on the turntable, then replicate this on the digital track.  Am I right?

18 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

So it doesn't actually play the record, you've got to actually have the track on your laptop.  All the transmitters do is pick up the speed and direction that the records are moving on the turntable, then replicate this on the digital track.  Am I right?

Not sure if you are correct or that these vinyl records are pressed with a digital code that the transmitter picks up.

Whatever I do not think they will be much use to a scene that plays old vinyl.

27 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

I think so. I'm no expert but my understanding is that Scratch dj's would have had a couple of time code vinyls that sit on the decks (the same  two all session) which they move about backwards & forwards etc... which is relayed via the needle/tonearm to the laptop which has the actual tracks on. all this gadget does is replace the needle/tonearm with this transmitter. So no use whatsoever to play actual vinyl records.

2 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

1 hour ago, bbrich said:

I think so. I'm no expert but my understanding is that Scratch dj's would have had a couple of time code vinyls that sit on the decks (the same  two all session) which they move about backwards & forwards etc... which is relayed via the needle/tonearm to the laptop which has the actual tracks on. all this gadget does is replace the needle/tonearm with this transmitter. So no use whatsoever to play actual vinyl records.

Yes ,this is exactly how it works.

It also eliminates the need for DJ's to have to cart multiple and heavy crates of records around to every gig they're performing at.

Using these controller vinyl records has been mostly well received by a lot of scratch DJ's and DJ's who play out on a regular basis ..I have a couple of Turntablist mates who are playing shows all over the world who are using these set ups more for the convenience they allow than anything else, one is a former DMC world champion who is in a different country literally every week and the other is the DJ for a Funk & Soul Brass big band and for them a set up like this is ideal as it negates the need to take out hundreds of different records every time they head out on tour.

My friend Paul, who's the DJ for the Brass band also switched to a DVS rig because a lot of the stages at the venues they're playing are very poorly isolated which were causing him lots of problems sonically with a strictly vinyl set up so for him in particular, switching to this kind of equipment has been an absolute godsend even though I'm sure he'd rather be using real vinyl to DJ with without question.

These types of set ups are not going to appeal to everyone,obviously and the last thing on the minds of the manufacturers of these units is probably the needs of the Northern Soul spinners where the scene is based on the playing of the original recordings on wax.

.As I stated before I wouldn't personally have any need for one of these DVS rigs but if I was a touring or performing DJ I'd probably be at the head of the queue wanting to try this out for myself.

Edited by Soulsides

A bit off topic really but as a guy who plays new releases I do love the USB stick thing, and Pioneer's rekordbox etc. As most new releases aren't on vinyl it's the perfect solution.....and I love vinyl and still buy lots of it when I can!

Cheers,

Mark R

2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Gaz. What about a device to stop them being a DJ :shhh:

Ste

Are you saying we Need a cull in the 'DJ' gene pool Ste?..

I've edited the thread Title from..... "

New Device Allows You To DJ Without Using A Needle"

to...

Northern Soul - new device allows you to DJ without having any Talent. 

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.