News!Martells Where Can My Baby Be A La Carte

Mike

An intriguing 45 with a postal address for the label from Knoxville, Tennessee, though whether it was recorded there would only be a guess. Clifford Curry was born in Knoxville hence the probable connection though biographical information on Clifford Curry doesn't throw up any links. It is possible that it is a Nashville recording because by 1968, Clifford Curry was recording there with Elf. Beyond that I have no further information. Clifford Russell and The Martells did have another release on ...

https://indangerousrhythm.blogspot.com/2006...e-la-carte.html

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

An intriguing 45 with a postal address for the label from Knoxville, Tennessee, though whether it was recorded there would only be a guess. Clifford Curry was born in Knoxville hence the probable connection though biographical information on Clifford Curry doesn't throw up any links. It is possible that it is a Nashville recording because by 1968, Clifford Curry was recording there with Elf. Beyond that I have no further information. Clifford Russell and The Martells did have another release on ...

https://indangerousrhythm.blogspot.com/2006...e-la-carte.html

Where can my baby be, was recorded in Nashville. The 2 cliffords grew up together in Knoxville, then Clifford Curry moved to Nashville where he still live to this day. Clifford Russell asked his old friend to help him to get into the record business, which Clifford Curry did, by writing him the song and producing it along with Rob Galbraith from Nashville. Clifford recorded a few more soul tunes with the Martells, and one more on A La Carte, before switching to country, where he had a lot of sucess. Clifford Russell still live in Knoxville.

PS, neither Clifford's or Rob have any copies of "Where can my baby be"

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Come on Dave, it's a dirge...they sound half asleep and the song never gets out of first gear, in fact I'm amazed it was played as a Northern record as it's got no discernable beat to speak of. Armchair and slippers music.

I have a soft spot for it as a southern record. Russell's voice is sooo twangy it's untrue, and I'd rather listen to that than some things I've heard out at allniters recently.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!