Twisted Wheel - Sounds ?

Stevegods

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 17:50, nickinstoke said:

Another Spencer Davis Group track that had its day in the sun was “This hammer” - long forgotten - and another Little Milton was “Who’s cheating who”

Played At The " TOP TWENTY CLUB "( Hollinwood-Oldham ) And " WHEEL " , This Hammer Is The B-Side Of " STRONG LOVE " Which Was Also Played " DOWN THEM STAIRS "  , As Was The Original Version On SHURE SHOT  By The MALIBUS - IT's Written That  Label Owner Don Robey ( Shure Shot-Duke-Peacock-Backbeat ) Sent A Copy To The S.P.D Group's Manager - Saying It Would Suit Them !  .

Social source share

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 13:15, Kegsy said:

Here you go, instrumentals were allowed back then.

plus this

The Los Canarios Copy I Recall From The Wheel ! , Was Played on " Major Minor " U.k. Issue , And Danced Quite A Few Times To " Cool Aid " At ( Whitworth Street ) , Unfortunately The B-Side " Detroit " Was Not Up To Much .

Social source share

24 minutes ago, earlvandykes6 said:

I Still Have my Copy ! , Both Sides Were Played - But The " Right Kind " Did Not Get As Much Reaction , After The Wheel Closed It Began To Get Some Reaction ?

I Still Like It's FEEL With That Piano Sounding Not Unlike " Choker Campbell " - Hits Of The Sixties 1965 L.p. Released On Tamla Motown .

Yeah, "the right kind" was so rarely played back then. Dunno why, as it's a stormer, and perfectly suited to the "type" of stuff which was so prevalent at the time. I seem to remember it being played mostly mid 72-ish? Then again, memories are beginning to fade. And I understand what you mean by the "feel" being similar to much of the stuff on "hits of the sixties". Funnily enough, I never did like that LP very much! Must have had five copies of it over the years, and sold every one of them. 

Social source share

1 minute ago, Joey said:

Yeah, "the right kind" was so rarely played back then. Dunno why, as it's a stormer, and perfectly suited to the "type" of stuff which was so prevalent at the time. I seem to remember it being played mostly mid 72-ish? Then again, memories are beginning to fade. And I understand what you mean by the "feel" being similar to much of the stuff on "hits of the sixties". Funnily enough, I never did like that LP very much! Must have had five copies of it over the years, and sold every one of them. 

Agree about the Choker Cambell L.P. I was after it for ages and when I eventually got a copy was very disappointed, I think there was 1 stand out track on it.

Social source share

2 minutes ago, earlvandykes6 said:

The Los Canarios Copy I Recall From The Wheel ! , Was Played on " Major Minor " U.k. Issue , And Danced Quite A Few Times To " Cool Aid " At ( Whitworth Street ) , Unfortunately The B-Side " Detroit " Was Not Up To Much .

Hated Cool Aid, and still do. Similar feelings to the ones I've always had about Fife Piper. Can't really explain the reason! What Can A Man Do however is up there in my all time top ten. Used to play it every spot at The Magnet, and it never failed to fill the floor. Top tune. 

Social source share

1 minute ago, soulatthedale said:

Agree about the Choker Cambell L.P. I was after it for ages and when I eventually got a copy was very disappointed, I think there was 1 stand out track on it.

Yeah, a really disappointing album. No comparison to EVDs. Still can't understand why so many people want it. Pure rarity value? 

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Joey said:

Yeah, a really disappointing album. No comparison to EVDs. Still can't understand why so many people want it. Pure rarity value? 

Not sure on its rarity I paid £20 for it and not seen it priced much more than that, maybe  people are after it thinking it's gping to be better than what it really is!

Social source share

Was Down At The " Blue Orchid " One Niter , When " Jeff King " Came Over And Enquired " What Wheel Records Are You After " We Gave Him A List Of In-Demanders ! ( Not Knowing He Was  Pressing Up - " SOUL SOUNDS " Records ) , Six Or More Weeks Later " Down Them Stairs "  At Whitworth St - He Was Selling Them At A Quid Each .  

One I Mentioned Was Not Pressed as He Found A Few  Original Copies On A.B.C. - TROY KEYES " You Told Your Story " .

Social source share

6 minutes ago, soulatthedale said:

Not sure on its rarity I paid £20 for it and not seen it priced much more than that, maybe  people are after it thinking it's gping to be better than what it really is!

I rarely see it for sale nowadays. £20 is a good price, when considering what most mono UK Motown LPs tend to go for. If you've never heard any of the tracks, I can see its appeal. Its only when you've shelled out your hard-earned, and slapped it on the turntable, that major disappointment actually sets in!!!!

Social source share

3 minutes ago, earlvandykes6 said:

Was Down At The " Blue Orchid " One Niter , When " Jeff King " Came Over And Enquired " What Wheel Records Are You After " We Gave Him A List Of In-Demanders ! ( Not Knowing He Was  Pressing Up - " SOUL SOUNDS " Records ) , Six Or More Weeks Later " Down Them Stairs "  At Whitworth St - He Was Selling Them At A Quid Each .  

One I Mentioned Was Not Pressed as He Found A Few  Original Copies On A.B.C. - TROY KEYES " You Told Your Story " .

Whoever told him to include Humphrey Stomp and Kick that Little Foot Sally Anne should have been given the kicking of their lives. Apart from those the other 28 are absolute quality!!!!!

As an aside, the actual quality of the Soul Sounds discs was superb mostly. My Invitations Stateside demo never sounded quite as good as my Soul Sounds boot when played out.

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Joey said:

Whoever told him to include Humphrey Stomp and Kick that Little Foot Sally Anne should have been given the kicking of their lives. Apart from those the other 28 are absolute quality!!!!!

As an aside, the actual quality of the Soul Sounds discs was superb mostly. My Invitations Stateside demo never sounded quite as good as my Soul Sounds boot when played out.

A Quid Each ! - Seemed Expensive At The Time , But As You Point Out The Quality Is Great - Some Of The U.S.A. Issues Would Have Been On STYREEN ??  .

Social source share

1 hour ago, earlvandykes6 said:

A Quid Each ! - Seemed Expensive At The Time , But As You Point Out The Quality Is Great - Some Of The U.S.A. Issues Would Have Been On STYREEN ??  .

Yeah, a quid each was a bit steep, but most of those tunes even then were a bugger to find. Plus, how was the ordinary guy ever going to get a hold of a Leon Haywood? All of the others were long deleted, and any finds were in junk shops and on market stalls. Styrene? Couldn't say. Never bought imports, and so have next to no knowledge about them.  Still don't!

And EVDs Motown Sound is light years ahead of Sounds of the 60s. Wouldn't say too much of his second album though, Earl of Funk. When you think about it, they had enough material to release a whole series of EVD stuff back in the sixties.  A crying shame they didn't think it was commercially viable enough. 

Social source share

Whitworth Wheel Possible Probable Plays ??

Seem to think these fit the bill ,but Kegsy could be Instrumental in correcting my Magic Manc Memories !

Smokey Joes La La = Googie Renes Combo uk Atlantic

Holiday ,and The Kid = Andre Brassiere  Cbs Congress, Cross you heart.

Spookies Day Off = Swinging Soul Machine . Polydor

Hole in The Wall = George Stone ,Stateside /pure Soul { predates Packers and Better version}

My Sweet Potato = Booker T.& MGs.  Stax

Bella Dellana= Marketts . WB.

A touch of Velvet = Mood Mosaic /Marketts/ Ron Grainer.{Only Joking he did Steptoe before he met Russ?}

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On ‎26‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 17:38, John Hart said:

Whitworth Wheel Possible Probable Plays ??

Seem to think these fit the bill ,but Kegsy could be Instrumental in correcting my Magic Manc Memories !

Smokey Joes La La = Googie Renes Combo uk Atlantic

Holiday ,and The Kid = Andre Brassiere  Cbs Congress, Cross you heart.

Spookies Day Off = Swinging Soul Machine . Polydor

Hole in The Wall = George Stone ,Stateside /pure Soul { predates Packers and Better version}

My Sweet Potato = Booker T.& MGs.  Stax

Bella Dellana= Marketts . WB.

A touch of Velvet = Mood Mosaic /Marketts/ Ron Grainer.{Only Joking he did Steptoe before he met Russ?}

Mood Mosaic was one of three versions played - Westminster City Strings - The Second City Sound . My Sweet Potato - U.k. Red Atlantic ( later imports STAX )   Also played " Hole in the wall " & " Hold On I'm Coming " The  Dynatones ( H B R ) L.p.  .

Edited by earlvandykes6
Addition Of Track !
Social source share

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 18:24, dwr said:

Trying to get back on topic - Margie Hendrix Restless and Billy Stewart stuff - Bobby Hebb Love Love Love

I Don't Ever Recall " Love,Love,Love " Being Played in The Wheel ! , It Would Have Been Massive - Certainly Not Played Any Number Of Times  . 

However Just After The Wheel Closed , The Wheelies From Hyde - Along With " Pete Tilsley & Brian Leah From Stockport Started Attending " Up The Junction - CREW " That's When We Heard The Bobby Hebb Track !  .  Margie Hendrix B-Side Right Track ( Mercury U.K. )Also Played at Whitworth Street .

Edited by earlvandykes6
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

31 minutes ago, earlvandykes6 said:

I Don't Ever Recall " Love,Love,Love " Being Played in The Wheel ! , It Would Have Been Massive - Certainly Not Played Any Number Of Times  . 

However Just After The Wheel Closed , The Wheelies From Hyde - Along With " Pete Tilsley & Brian Leah From Stockport Started Attending " Up The Junction - CREW " That's When We Heard The Bobby Hebb Track !  .  Margie Hendrix B-Side Right Track ( Mercury U.K. )Also Played at Whitworth Street .

I was told Bread on the B side of Sunny was played. Dx

Social source share

3 hours ago, earlvandykes6 said:

True. I first heard Love, Love, Love late 71, at the Orbit in Rhyl. Definitely a Junction/Cats tune, from after the Wheel closed. If it'd been played at the Wheel it'd have been a monster. Then again, I'm here to be shot down I suppose!!! Seem to remember that Here I go again, I got the fever, and Love on a mountaintop were also top sounds at the same time. At least in Rhyl !!!!!!!!!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

10 minutes ago, wicked said:

All big tunes at Paynes Cafe Royal just down the road in LLandudno at the same time

Did hear tell of the place "back then', but never made it there myself. In fact, last time I was in Llandudno was probably 1960. More interested in building sandcastles than dancing. The Orbit was great. Visited several times, and loved the place. Probably the only female DJ in Britain at the time. The main lounge bar of the hotel upstairs also had a fantastic selection of northern tunes on offer. Only juke box anywhere in the UK I can remember with Major Lance as an option! Happy days.

Social source share

38 minutes ago, soash said:

Elvis Presley - Rubberneckin'

Yep, remember it as well as the Gene Pitney one "Heartbreaker..." pretty amazing what was played, when you think about it. 

Social source share

On 3/4/2018 at 19:50, soash said:

The Vic Lounge in Halifax had a jukebox pretty full of Wheel sounds. Used to call in on a Sunday on our way home from the Wheel. Very happy days!

Was gonna mention that, think Mr Slater was the musical inspiration. The Vic Lounge was a go to venue after nighters on this side of the pennines.

Social source share

3 hours ago, BrianB said:

It's So Hard Being a Loser. Classic Wheel spin.

The B-Side " Your Love Grows More Precious Every Day " Was Played Now & Then ! ,someone nicked my U.K. Issue at a Party Had To replace with a Copy On Gordy . 

The Most Played CONTOURS Wheel Tracks  1968 Onwards :- "Determination " - " Just A Little Misunderstanding "- " Can You Jerk Like Me " - " Can You Do It " - " It's So Hard Being A Loser " - "First I Look at the Purse "  - " Do You Love Me "   .

Social source share

On 04/03/2018 at 10:17, wicked said:

All big tunes at Paynes Cafe Royal just down the road in LLandudno at the same time

Yes I remember Paynes Cafe Royal. Who was the DJ there? Bought the Incredibles nothing else to say off him back in the day it was a big sound. Was well pleased at getting it for 75pence.

Dave Banks

Social source share

3 hours ago, davebanks said:

Yes I remember Paynes Cafe Royal. Who was the DJ there? Bought the Incredibles nothing else to say off him back in the day it was a big sound. Was well pleased at getting it for 75pence.

Dave Banks

Could have been either Dick Collins or Big E, Dick was the one with all the decent records, he took over when E got sacked or left, not sure exactly what happened.

Social source share

12 hours ago, BrianB said:

It's So Hard Being a Loser. Classic Wheel spin.

Yup, a classic.

Thing to remember, tho, is that by around '69, tracks like this were regarded by the Wheel crowd as "slow", and therefore got less spins than previously.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, soash said:

Yup, a classic.

Thing to remember, tho, is that by around '69, tracks like this were regarded by the Wheel crowd as "slow", and therefore got less spins than previously.

That's exactly how I would have described the later classic Wheel tunes. I remember it all being a bit more "Devil in a blue dress.." than "Soothe me" back in 70 or 71. Certainly the tunes that got my attention were the 100mph ones. 

BTW, that Contours track is a real forgotten classic. Well, I'd bloody well forgotten about it anyway!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

On 26/02/2018 at 14:59, earlvandykes6 said:

Isn't Jeff King on here ?

Regards Fred. 

Social source share

On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 03:11, Mr Fred said:

Isn't Jeff King on here ?

Regards Fred. 

Hi Fred , The Last Time I Spoke With You Was At " Leeds Soul Central " The One Before Xmas 2017 ( Recalling " Brian Taylor's "40th Or 50Th Birthday Bash  ) with SWISH Dj'ing In The Garden Marquee - Can't Recall If You Did A Spot Also ?? .

P.S. I'm Not That Familiar With " Who 's Who " On Here  ? , Mr King Was Accompanied By  KEITH MINSHULL - He Was One Of The Dj's There !  I Can Visualize Him Playing " The Marvelettes - What's Easy For Two, Is Hard For One " On A Red Tamla Motown Issue  . 

Social source share

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 22:33, Joey said:

True. I first heard Love, Love, Love late 71, at the Orbit in Rhyl. Definitely a Junction/Cats tune, from after the Wheel closed. If it'd been played at the Wheel it'd have been a monster. Then again, I'm here to be shot down I suppose!!! Seem to remember that Here I go again, I got the fever, and Love on a mountaintop were also top sounds at the same time. At least in Rhyl !!!!!!!!!

" I Got The Fever - " Was Played At Whitworth Street On The U.K MERCURY Issue ! , As GERT From " Tewkesbury Or Stourbridge ( Whichever ? ) Would Bring His Copy Up ! , Along With Graeham White ( DOCKER ) And His Copy Of " Baby Reconsider - Leon Haywood " ( Recently Purchased Off BOB CROCKER )   .

I First Heard " Archie Bell & The Drells " - Here I Go again At La Ambassador Club In Bradford , Early 1972 .

P.s. Towards The End Of 1970 I Took My Copy Of " Get It From The Bottom - Archie Bell & The Drells - Atlantic DEMO " For Les Cokell To  Play at The Wheel Along With " Don't Pretend - The Belles - Mirwood " And  I'll Try -Sam & Bill- Brunswick U.k.  .

Social source share

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 15:23, earlvandykes6 said:

The B-Side " Your Love Grows More Precious Every Day " Was Played Now & Then ! ,someone nicked my U.K. Issue at a Party Had To replace with a Copy On Gordy . 

The Most Played CONTOURS Wheel Tracks  1968 Onwards :- "Determination " - " Just A Little Misunderstanding "- " Can You Jerk Like Me " - " Can You Do It " - " It's So Hard Being A Loser " - "First I Look at the Purse "  - " Do You Love Me "   .

I Can Recall At The First " Twisted  Wheel Revival " Nights At Whitworth Street Then Known As " ROCKIES " , They Were Playing " BABY HIT AND RUN " - The CONTOURS ! , I'm Wondering Which Clubs Played It When First Issued February 1974 ?? .

Social source share

45 minutes ago, earlvandykes6 said:

" I Got The Fever - " Was Played At Whitworth Street On The U.K MERCURY Issue ! , As GERT From " Tewkesbury Or Stourbridge ( Whichever ? ) Would Bring His Copy Up ! , Along With Graeham White ( DOCKER ) And His Copy Of " Baby Reconsider - Leon Haywood " ( Recently Purchased Off BOB CROCKER )   .

I First Heard " Archie Bell & The Drells " - Here I Go again At La Ambassador Club In Bradford , Early 1972 .

P.s. Towards The End Of 1970 I Took My Copy Of " Get It From The Bottom - Archie Bell & The Drells - Atlantic DEMO " For Les Cokell To  Play at The Wheel Along With " Don't Pretend - The Belles - Mirwood " And  I'll Try -Sam & Bill- Brunswick U.k.  .

In all my time collecting British, I never did get a decent Mercury issue copy of the Prophets. Had a couple of demos, which were nice though. I seem to recall everyone was playing the Stateside Creation one in 71-72. Recently released? Same as Here I go again and Love on a mountain top? Memory is fading a bit, but without checking I'd say that all three were relatively recent releases at the time.

Sam and Bill? That's yet another really good tune that's been completely forgotten about. Many of today's DJs probably haven't even heard it, never mind played it out. 

Social source share

25 minutes ago, earlvandykes6 said:

I Can Recall At The First " Twisted  Wheel Revival " Nights At Whitworth Street Then Known As " ROCKIES " , They Were Playing " BABY HIT AND RUN " - The CONTOURS ! , I'm Wondering Which Clubs Played It When First Issued February 1974 ?? .

Probably unbelievable to most, but honest to God the first time I heard it played was at the Cats Whiskers ballroom in Oldham on a regular "divvy" night! Almost certainly round about summer 74. I didn't really hear it played "on the scene" until I returned in the mid nineties. 

Social source share

5 hours ago, Joey said:

In all my time collecting British, I never did get a decent Mercury issue copy of the Prophets. Had a couple of demos, which were nice though. I seem to recall everyone was playing the Stateside Creation one in 71-72. Recently released? Same as Here I go again and Love on a mountain top? Memory is fading a bit, but without checking I'd say that all three were relatively recent releases at the time.

Sam and Bill? That's yet another really good tune that's been completely forgotten about. Many of today's DJs probably haven't even heard it, never mind played it out. 

Sam & Bill was pretty big for a while in the 80s. Dx

• Up vote 1
Social source share

17 minutes ago, DaveNPete said:

Walked away from the scene at the end of 75, and didn't return for twenty years. So, missed all the 80s, and after hearing most of what I've been told were big in that couple of decades, I'm glad I waited! Never heard it played once when I returned, which is strange really, as the venues I visited could best be described as oldies-orientated, Keele, Bradford, Blackburn etc. Great tune, which, like most of the forgotten oldies, deserves more recognition and airplay.

When people speak about the "oldies" nowadays, they seem to be speaking almost entirely about Torch, Cats,Mecca and early Wigan stuff, plus half a dozen of the more readily known Wheel classics. If this thread has accomplished just one thing, it's that more and more people can see just how many old biggies and stormers have been buried and forgotten in the past. Or never even known about. Maybe it'll give certain DJs the dig in the ribs they need? Not only could it revitalise events, but also educate many who only came onto the scene post 75. Too many great records for them all to be consigned to history.

Social source share

17 hours ago, JulianB said:

Docker also used to bring the sharpees ' do the 45' to the wheel.

I played the Mercury issue of the prophets at Lord Jim's in Huddersfield. I sold my issue last year to Martin Alsop as I had just got the Mercury demo

I Recall Many Of Your Memorable Spots At " Lord Jims " And Other Venues Around ( Past & Present ) .

P.s. Did We Attend " Lord Jim's " To Hear You Play " I Got The Fever " , Or Just To See The Lovely " LESLEY BROWN "  ( See Dave Godin's Photo's From The Twisted Wheel ) Blues & Soul Magazine - Think It's The One With " Earl Van Dyke " On The Cover ?? .   Also At The WHEEL - BRIAN 45 PHILLIPS Nicknamed - Because He Played The SHARPEES Track .   

Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest tmg555
On 10/03/2018 at 16:59, DaveNPete said:

They also toured way back,  and while singing " l feel like cryin " at Northwich  Memorial Hall Bill fell of stage !!!

Social source share

29 minutes ago, JulianB said:

Don't remember the Triumphs being played

Triumphs was always a Torch/Cats sound for me. Pretty sure I didn't hear it played anywhere until mid 72? Could be wrong though. The mind and memory etc. etc.!!!!!!!

Social source share

😉

5 hours ago, JulianB said:

Don't remember the Triumphs being played

Cheers Julian and Joey wasnt 100 percent only being a mere lad of 61 and a half I wasnt there 

So as a special treat I bet this got plays 😎

Edited by Mark S
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!