Record Store Day 2018 21st April

Mike

We’re having a launch event on Tuesday 6th March when the RSD list is revealed. Live music and a DJ set by Goldfrapp’s old drummer/remixer. We’ll also be taking orders for the limited edition Rega turntable that’s being launched in conjunction with RSD and giving away some booze courtesy of one of the other RSD partners.

A couple of indie distributers have let slip what some of their releases will be but haven’t seen anything of interest to SS members so far.

CF40AC3D-CEE5-4134-803F-ACB8047D98FF.jpeg

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

*Duke Reid/Roland Alphonso - Trojan 7"
*Grant Green - Slick! Live at oil can harrys & Funk in France LP's
*Small Faces 7" EP
*Studio 1 Dubplate special box set
*Sun Ra - Live at pine street theatre LP
*Thelonious Monk - Nutty 7"
*Demon Fuzz - I put a spell on you 7"

Guess I'm easily pleased! :thumbup:

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/03/2018 at 23:13, Modularman said:

*Duke Reid/Roland Alphonso - Trojan 7"
*Grant Green - Slick! Live at oil can harrys & Funk in France LP's
*Small Faces 7" EP
*Studio 1 Dubplate special box set
*Sun Ra - Live at pine street theatre LP
*Thelonious Monk - Nutty 7"
*Demon Fuzz - I put a spell on you 7"

Guess I'm easily pleased! :thumbup:

Although it's a decent tune, I'm not sure why they're re-issuing the Duke Reid tune when you can buy the original fairly cheaply and the Treasure Isle reissue for less than a tenner. 

Social source share

6 minutes ago, The Fox said:

Although it's a decent tune, I'm not sure why they're re-issuing the Duke Reid tune when you can buy the original fairly cheaply and the Treasure Isle reissue for less than a tenner. 

It's to commemorate 50 years of Trojan Records and was the first 7" to see release on a Trojan label

Social source share

"I was surprised to see these going through a legit distributor to be honest..."

I think, but am nothing whatsoever to do with these releases so don't know for sure, that they are issued under EU copyright laws , which again, I think, but don't know, currently employ a 50 year time line to govern eligibility. Assuming all that to be the case, they are legit.  

Social source share

1 hour ago, John Reed said:

From a Soul and Funk perspective theres nothing apart from the pointless reissues on different coloured wax.  If companies focused on unreleased stuff it might be of more interest.

All the companies focus on now is fleecing the customer.  It was a good thing as it gave record stores a massive boost, I guess they still do to some degree.

Social source share

49 minutes ago, chalky said:

All the companies focus on now is fleecing the customer.  It was a good thing as it gave record stores a massive boost, I guess they still do to some degree.

Some new lps are almost 25 quid. With a lot of them it’s cheaper to buy the original. 

Record industry has been dying in its arse for years now and it’s a shame it’s been given new life imho. 

Social source share

I recall 2 years ago, it collided with the Gateshead International Jazz Festival at the Sage. My son was playing at the festival so I dropped him off early for rehearsals and spent the day in Newcastle. I remember the queues at the record shop; people looking for something to buy: punkrock, Bowie and the beatles; Britpop for the first time; Physical Graffiti for a ton; Sgt Pepper for £110.

People walking around brandishing their yellow bags like religious placards, cos that's what they were. Inviting us to 'look at me, I've bought a record from the record shop on record shop day, like the TV told me, cos I'm a free-thinking, independent mind'.

I also remembering buying a Jazz CD from the merch stall at the festival and paying rather over the odds. From the very people who tell us CDs never caught on (which they clearly did), they're defunct (which they aren't) or never existed (which Piers Morgan once claimed). 

Social source share

17 hours ago, JNixon said:

Record industry has been dying in its arse for years now and it’s a shame it’s been given new life imho. 

You want record shops to close down, vinyl and CD plants to go out of business, labels to fold, artists to have no choice other than streaming/downloads to get their music out there? Wow - that seems pretty bitter mate :(

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I think the record industry and media have brought back vinyls to close down CDs, cos CDs offer vastly greater choice and availability and it's easier for them to promote and make lots and lots of money eternally recycling the beatles etc. on vinyls. Vinyls won't survive for the same reasons it didn't survive the arrival of CDs, just like steam trains and typewriters didn't survive. There's also a growing backlash against vinyls, as there always is when the powers that be start telling us something is natural, normal, universal, inevitable, obvious and common sense. For me, when the punkrock, Bowie, beatles etc. people start doing something, it's time for Soul Fans to stop.  

I've had this discussion with other dealers, who think CDs will survive because, despite what the media tell us often, with binges after xmas and on record shop day, they vastly outsell the growing, but still tiny vinyls market. I don't share their optimism. While the industry has always supported two formats, these were on solid copies and young people may view streaming and downloading as different means of consumption.

When northern soul people go on (and on and on) about vinyls, right under their noses, something extraordinary happened. The floodgates opened and the vast majority of Soul Fans (not me I'm afraid) filled their boots and now have the greatest collections of Soul Music on solid copies the world will ever see. It was the same for jazz, blues, reggae, rock, country, folk and the rest - much classical music, preceding the emergence of records,  never suited the time constraints of vinyls anyway. But with the arrival of bluray, will people have the means to play them?

Social source share

6 hours ago, stevesilktulip said:

I think the record industry and media have brought back vinyls to close down CDs, cos CDs offer vastly greater choice and availability and it's easier for them to promote and make lots and lots of money eternally recycling the beatles etc. on vinyls. Vinyls won't survive for the same reasons it didn't survive the arrival of CDs, just like steam trains and typewriters didn't survive. There's also a growing backlash against vinyls, as there always is when the powers that be start telling us something is natural, normal, universal, inevitable, obvious and common sense. For me, when the punkrock, Bowie, beatles etc. people start doing something, it's time for Soul Fans to stop.  

I've had this discussion with other dealers, who think CDs will survive because, despite what the media tell us often, with binges after xmas and on record shop day, they vastly outsell the growing, but still tiny vinyls market. I don't share their optimism. While the industry has always supported two formats, these were on solid copies and young people may view streaming and downloading as different means of consumption.

When northern soul people go on (and on and on) about vinyls, right under their noses, something extraordinary happened. The floodgates opened and the vast majority of Soul Fans (not me I'm afraid) filled their boots and now have the greatest collections of Soul Music on solid copies the world will ever see. It was the same for jazz, blues, reggae, rock, country, folk and the rest - much classical music, preceding the emergence of records,  never suited the time constraints of vinyls anyway. But with the arrival of bluray, will people have the means to play them?

With respect, that's one of the most uninformed posts I've seen in a while. 

I don't know which dealers you've spoken to but my bricks and mortar shop sells roughly 50/50 CD/vinyl. I'm not sure where you get your evidence of a backlash against vinyl?  The main concern of indie shops is that the major labels are trying to get the highest dealer prices they can - just as  they did with CDs originally - despite the fact that the material had paid for itself  over and again. We sell far more back catalogue than new music, but lots of it is previously unreleased and there's clearly a market for it. We also sell a hell of a lot of niche music on CD from labels that prefer to release their product on a physical format despite the ease of streaming/download services.

I'm also unsure what you mean by "For me, when the punkrock, Bowie, beatles etc. people start doing something, it's time for Soul Fans to stop" ,It's indisputable that there's a huge market for re-releases of all of those genres, including soul music.

I take it from your use of the world "vinyls" that either English isn't your first language, in which case I apologise if I've misunderstood you, or you're quite young, in which case a bit of perspective is required. :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Loads! Try listening to solar radio , mick O'Donnell , soul brother record show , and tons of others . 🎶🎶👌🎶

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Loads! Try listening to solar radio , mick O'Donnell , soul brother record show , and tons of others . 🎶🎶👌🎶.  IT'S ALL ABOUT DISCOVERING SOUL MUSIC 😉

41 minutes ago, shufflin said:

back on topic, are there any soul releases worth getting?

Social source share

Back off topic.

Dealers who sell all sorts of music, not just (northern) soul.

All of the music mags (Songlines, Jazzwise, Jazz Journal, Prog, Wired etc). On this site compared to 4 or 5 years ago. The BBC admitting over 40% of vinyls albums aren't even unsealed.

The 180g market has all but killed off the OVs market.

The telly keeps telling us there's s big vinyls revival. It was led (sadly) by my generation with Bowie, Zep and Sabs. As usual the fabs followed - they never miss an opportunity to make money and music isn't enough for them. The punkrockers came next and music is never enough for them. Finally the Britpop people re(re)replacing their worn-out CDs for the first time on vinyls. Music should be enough fro Soul Fans.

Vinyls is the term used by young people and is one of the mechanisms that make it 'cool'; myths are constructed in language, not music. On her radio show a few weeks back Zoe Ball kept shouting 'vinyls, vinyls'. 

I'm English and I'm 56. I've been a Soul Fan for 44 years but I also listen to everything else apart from (what Zappa called) radio music, though I prefer media music nowadays and, like Zappa, I don't exclude the sixties, though I think his observations on Soul were ill-informed, hopefully due to him listening to the wrong stuff.

I gave up a career in the Health Service to study culture when I saw the huge Beatles domination of C20th century music being unleashed in the mid-nineties.

I write for a Jazz website and have letters printed in all of the above mags (sans the naughty pop led Wired) and my son is one of the rising stars on the British Jazz scene.

With respect, this is one of the most informed posts you've ever read. 

Social source share

2 hours ago, stevesilktulip said:

With respect, this is one of the most informed posts you've ever read. 

Well we'll have to agree to disagree on that last point :lol:

I assume you write in a more coherent fashion on your jazz website. Certainly hope so!

• Up vote 3
Social source share

2 hours ago, stevesilktulip said:

I always expect people to bring some prior knowledge to the subject.

I own a record shop and am therefore in the business of selling vinyl and CDs. You clearly have some theories that you’re unable to explain clearly and which don’t appear to be based on any evidence other than your own opinion. 

That’s fine but I’m not really interested in getting into la debate with you on that basis.

Ta. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

You accused me of not writing in a coherent way. The item in question was a succession of responses to a succession of points raised in the previous item. I would have expected you to have read the previous item. Oh I'm sorry, you wrote it.

You have no theory as to why large numbers of people - actually a small number of people - went back to vinyls records at the same time, after years of virtually no interest. You have no theory as to why this gets far more media attention than it merits. No theory as to why the media claims CDs never caught on, when they patently did. No theory as to why the media gives out the message that CDs are in serious decline because of vinyls, when the declines is far less than they claim and patently due predominantly to downloads/ streaming. Perhaps you can explain why Piers Morgan once said we went from vinyls to downloads. 

I expect people who get their music from the mass media to think everything is about choice and taste and opinion, but I expect people who construct their own world, including Soul Fans, to have some semblance of how and why things happen. Does the media worship the beatles because huge numbers of people worship them? Or do huge numbers of people worship them because people in the media worship them? What came first? I thought the 'taste' public, including Soul Fans got this; we did in the seventies. Not my opinion, but accepted cultural theory.

Santana - music is important. We shouldn't let the media dictate things, because they will tell us that beatles worship, punkrock and vinyls revivals will save music, but they don't, they destroy it. 

Social source share

waste of your time arguing about crap that don't matter...

Record day is a positive thing, very commercial but then that's what its about, selling records...

Count yourselves lucky, no Soul Brother records here in Southern Spain, I'd have to travel to Granada to visit a decent record store... anyhow Be careful out there people! remember 200g Weighted vinyl doesn't mean it sounds any better :-)

Mal.C :-)

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Sometimes l wish l could just pop down the road to Putney rather than soak up the sun don't you . as mal said give it up guys it's all about the MUSIC🎶🎶

56 minutes ago, Mal C said:

For crying out loud give it up guys, its a waste of your time arguing about crap that don't matter...

Record day is a positive thing, very commercial but then that's what its about, selling records...

Count yourselves lucky, no Soul Brother records here in Southern Spain, I'd have to travel to Granada to visit a decent record store... anyhow Be careful out there people! remember 200g Weighted vinyl doesn't mean it sounds any better :-)

Mal.C :-)

Social source share

Absolutely right and I couldn't believe that. But the pecking order for prices is still 180gm, CDs, OVs, so they've become 'reassuringly expensive' and rendered your beaten up old vinyls albums unattractive.

I would find it less off-putting if it were less about vinyl records, which make typewriters, steam trains and bedpans look hi-tech, and more about CD records (short for recordings). I spent the seventies and eighties looking for vinyls I never found and, even when I did, I couldn't afford. CDs are rocketing in price as they disappear, but I can still have anything I want. I don't have to follow Djs around cos that's the only way I can hear certain records. That's a good thing, not a bad thing. The great leveller which, unlike downloads etc, maintains the integrity of the album format.

Social source share

On 4/1/2018 at 21:19, shufflin said:

back on topic, are there any soul releases worth getting?

Hi Shufflin
Apologies for being dragged off topic. A few RSD releases are mentioned in previous posts above. They are mostly jazz/reggae though. 

Essentially it's up to the labels to put forward releases for RSD. From an indie label perspective it maybe worth asking Ady C, Dean Rudland, Liam Large, Fryer etc why they haven't put stuff out. I don't think the the majors are really interested in pushing rare soul as it sells in tiny numbers compared to classic rock, current indie, jazz/folk back catalogue etc. I guess they make more from the generic 101 Northern Soul Hits type CDs that we see endlessly repackaged.

Social source share

Soul Brother Records in East Putney, London will be participating again. We've added details on all the stuff on order - whether or not they all turn up is anyone's guess but as a guide to what is expected here's the details. 

https://soulbrother.com/feature/record-store-day-prospective-stock-list/

Soul/Funk stuff here
https://soulbrother.com/feature/record-store-day-2018-soul-funk/
Jazz, Reggae, Blues, Hip Hop
https://soulbrother.com/feature/record-store-day-2018-jazz-blues-hip-hop-reggae/
Rock and Pop
https://soulbrother.com/feature/record-store-day-2018-rock-pop/
Soundtracks
https://soulbrother.com/feature/record-store-day-2018-soundtracks/

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Worth remembering that record shop day used to be about music on hard copies before the usual media institutions turned it into vinyls day.

I remember when I first identified Gloria Scott, it was a £25 album though I know it went up to £60 and suspect it got higher. Had a cursory look on Amazon the other day and there was a vinyls copy for under twenty quid (since gone) and the cheapest CD was just under a hundred. 

Anybody who's interested in vinyls should listen to Jo Whiley on Radio 2, 8 oclock week nights; she picks an album each week and plays a track a night under the heading of vinyls revival.

KTF Rag n Bone Man.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!