Difference in Benny Troy Label

Guest Gogs

57 minutes ago, john green said:

I have a copy same as yours (sadly, with a sticker removal tear) But the disc also has the non-slip serrations around the label (as has yours) which UK singles have. The US press scan does not have any.

I think it just means the 45 was pressed by Capitol (U.S.) which also used the non slip serrations. I've seen other De-Lites and P.I.P. "s with the serrations.

i_wanna_give_you_tomorrow_benny_troy.jpg.3e1ceca03cd923c6e937488067e5cd75.jpg

tav.jpg

Edited by the yank
Social source share

4 hours ago, john green said:

I have a copy same as yours (sadly, with a sticker removal tear) But the disc also has the non-slip serrations around the label (as has yours) which UK singles have. The US press scan does not have any.

So perhaps it was a UK press?

i_wanna_give_you_tomorrow_benny_troy.jpg.3e1ceca03cd923c6e937488067e5cd75.jpg

Most, but not all copies that i looked at on popsike have this style of label i.e. the writing going into the coloured lines. But it is hard to tell if they have the non-slip serrations.   I bought this many years ago from a reputable dealer as a U.S. original so not sure about the U.K. issue bit, i think we need more info. Thanks

Social source share

After doing a search through the sales forum i have found 3 versions of this label

1: Where the writing starts under the coloured lines

2: Where the writing is through the coloured lines (no non-slip serrations)

3: Where the writing is through the coloured lines (but with the non-slip serrations)

But i wish that more of the sellers had put up photo's

Social source share

12 minutes ago, the yank said:

Not 100% sure but I think the styrene presses all would be #1's- where the writing starts under the colored lines. It seems like all the vinyl copies had more 

info on the label and had the writing through the colored lines. (#2, #3) .

Sounds good to me (but i'm still waiting for somebody else to come in with a different opinion, just to upset me :wink:). I also like your idea about the Capitol (U.S) pressing plant. Thanks.

Social source share

• 4 months later...

There are two of these on e-bay at the moment, both listed as re-issues. I'm still waiting on a definitive answer to this.

Any help appreciated. 

Social source share

2 hours ago, gogs said:

There are two of these on e-bay at the moment, both listed as re-issues. I'm still waiting on a definitive answer to this.

Any help appreciated. 

Bootlegs both these are on the eVilBay !

Social source share

Just had another check on popsike i couldn't find a copy with the non-slip serrations, i did however notice 1 where "stereo" is on the left hand side of the label instead of the usual right so yet another variation.

Social source share

33 minutes ago, soulbrother61 said:

So how do we tell original from re issue

Good question. There is no mention of a bootleg/re-issue in Manships guide and i'm still not convinced that there is one (other than the recent outtasight copy) but i'm still at a loss to explain the 4 different variations that i have listed.

Social source share

1 minute ago, John Reed said:

Its all about the text and spacing of the sound recording copyright symbol

so which is which?

Social source share

The copyright symbol on mine would mean that it is an original (as i would expect as i bought it from a reputable dealer), the word "stereo" on your copy goes through the red line whereas on mine it goes through the green line. Just a printing variation?

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Awake 502 said:

Demo copy....

Troy.jpg

Notice that your demo says "mono, is the true of all demo's or where there also "stereo" ones as all issues that i have seen are "stereo"?

Social source share

5 hours ago, John Reed said:

Original is the first one where the sound recording copyright symbol is very close to "1975" on the reissue there's quite a bit of space between the two and the text on the label is too modern for 1975.

What about this label variation?

Borrowed from popsike.

391829983941.jpg

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!