Writing on record labels

Vnerd63

Hi All,

Forgive me if this subject has already been covered on this forum but I’m looking for advice or ideas for the age old problem of writing on record labels. We all know the various reasons for this practice and some believe it’s evidence of a records journey over the past 50 years or so, like it’s battle scarring. I can appreciate this point of view but personally I’m not a fan. I’ve tried research and ideas of my own to remove the writing with very little or no success, obviously on sacrificial records. I would appreciate any tips, advice or has anyone come up with a successful method to remove without any damage to the label. 

Cheers

Social source share

Guest Shufflin

found elsewhere

'Goof Off 2" lists ink as something it'll remove... put a little on a Q-tip, trace over the writing - and QUICKLY wipe4d away with a clean tissue. ...ballpoint pen writing on the labels completely gone. '

no idea if it'll work other than anecdotal evidence posted above

personally i'd just live with it

Social source share

Guest Shufflin

all those must be worthless now? maybe time to put 'em up on ebay for comedy sales

I'd pay £50 for the Larry Clinton with handwriting like that

Social source share

56 minutes ago, MGM 1251 said:

Ed...I don’t think Franks dedication and signature did this copy of “dilyiid” any justice!!!! more a case of criminal damage,as opposed to mystic and charm.... :ohmy: ....

Absolute madness. Kenny should have known better. Still, I suppose you could file it in a sleeve with the other side facing up...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Just been through another box - never realised  how many have biro or marks on - 3 records in picture with Steve and Gary Jefferies they were brothers from Aldershot - in about 76 on the way back from Witchchurch alldayer the car Gary was in crashed killing him and others in the car - 1st soul funneral I had ever been to think is was held on a Friday and we went to the Casinio that night - would I ever sell them ? Never

Never is a word I very rarely use - but theses three records me more to me than just the value. 

IMG_1910.JPG

IMG_1911.JPG

IMG_1912.JPG

IMG_1913.JPG

IMG_1914.JPG

IMG_1915.JPG

IMG_1916.JPG

IMG_1917.JPG

IMG_1918.JPG

IMG_1919.JPG

IMG_1920.JPG

Edited by ZoomSoulBlue
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

19 hours ago, Vnerd63 said:

Hi All,

Forgive me if this subject has already been covered on this forum but I’m looking for advice or ideas for the age old problem of writing on record labels. We all know the various reasons for this practice and some believe it’s evidence of a records journey over the past 50 years or so, like it’s battle scarring. I can appreciate this point of view but personally I’m not a fan. I’ve tried research and ideas of my own to remove the writing with very little or no success, obviously on sacrificial records. I would appreciate any tips, advice or has anyone come up with a successful method to remove without any damage to the label. 

Cheers

The best results I have had for pencil marks and ring wear is a rubber.

The rubber has really tidied up a lot of ring wear on vinyl glossy labels (RCA etc).

Does not work very well on styrene record paper labels! Rubs through the label.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

1 hour ago, solidsoul said:

Not really!  

Writing on the label is still writing on the label, even if it’s autographs!

I think that “timings”and “comments”on radio station copies are ok,and acceptable....kind of adds to provenance....but autographs?...forget about it..:ohmy:..

Social source share

Hi Vnerd63,

To answer your Question? How to Remove Felt Pen Marker and biro from a record lable . I carried out the following ,dug out a sixties reo lable canadian Reflections . on one side was Bob in large red Felt tip ,on otherside another owners name in Biro [these would be sufficiently embedded with age ,unlike current write on wipe off ebay tests . Applied the following ; Toothpaste, Hairspray ,Spray Deoderant,Wd .40 .Alcohol.Bicarbonate of soda and NONE removed a smidgen of the writing!! You can google all these for application details .Also a product called Goof Off [As another member mentioned  is available on Amazon] ihave not tried Goof ? As a collector I detest any lable markings and such immediatley devalue a record to Vg {see Goldmine , Discogs and RC} .Final conclusion ,any rubbing to a lable is likely to cause damage. !! LOL Johnny.

Social source share

On 24/02/2018 at 12:07, solidsoul said:

The best results I have had for pencil marks and ring wear is a rubber.

The rubber has really tidied up a lot of ring wear on vinyl glossy labels (RCA etc).

Does not work very well on styrene record paper labels! Rubs through the label.

There is a special ink rubber out there with some sort of solvent in. I bought one in the States a few years back and it worked on graphics ink eg Rotring when on shiny paper/card. Trouble is, rubbing any coloured label is likely to remove the colour so best to try on white labels.

Social source share

Some very rare 45's that have had untracable group members and lable owners have in a few cases left collectors guessing the release date, only to find several years later a copy turns up with a hand written release date showing the exact date they were mailed to radio stations, this has to be one example that is of historical documentation interest and leaving some so called experts to realize they were 4 years out!. However I do agree hand writing in general is of little use to anyone and large amounts can look very ugly.

Social source share

I see no real issue with artist/group autographs from the time of original release. They were often given away at live gigs and as promotional copies and I think add providence.

I really don’t like contemporary signatures from recent weekenders or live performances from artists in their late 60s/70s. Much better to get the sleeve signed! The Frank Wilson signature is horrific and nothing short of criminal. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!