The death of large Hall commercial oldies nighters

Geeselad

I was shocked to learn of the recent attendance of a large commercial allnigher. Having not been to such an allnigher in many years I hear this a trend that's been happening for a while. At the same time more regional and in many Ways more authentic nighters such as Swinton, rugby etc seem to be going through a renaissance at the moment. Your views are much appreciated. 

Social source share

Comparing apples & pears perhaps. Different audience and different sized venues. Possibility some of the larger oldies all-nighters aren’t as full and /or nearing/sellout recently but still significantly exceeding number wise the 300 or so at other smaller venue all-nighters? 

Edited by andybellwood
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

I'm not an allnighter attendee, but I have some questions.

1. Which allnighter was it?

2. What was the attendance figure?

3. What date was it?

4. Were there other allnighters on the same night?

5. Did you attend?

6. Why start a topic on speculation rather than facts?

I find topics like this bemusing,  it's all spurious rumour mongering. Same as all those old topics about venues that may or may not be playing boots. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Bad time to post this after mr roberts....only been a few times to kings hall but always rammed, and I mean packed!!....rugby busy, great atmosphere, co/op Nuneaton the same...though mr freeman has been testing the water with 70.s niters which is refreshing to me although not everyone's thing......it's all relative, pick where you want..rare, underplayed never gonna be so busy...people love the oldies nights...I'm not bothered...really enjoy your night where ever..after all we are all into the same thing, don't judge, enjoy!!...kind regards....Rob

Social source share

I would guess the nighter in question is possibly the monster in the Stoke area and one I nearly always attend.

December one was down on numbers but , Last one FEB was well supported , not the rammed packer of a year or two ago but still busy and that for me was a good thing ...as getting onto the floor between 10pm -2am used to be a nightmare!

If its the one in Nuneaton area , again one I attend , it has been a bit slower in recent times but still plenty in and a good atmosphere. Maybe just starting to be on too often ?maybe not.

Notts  run by Casper too..... still plenty busy and a good night.

Others I have attended can be a bit hit and miss but....its tough to go to every one so just choose what suits you

Bearing in mind just how many nighters  and club nights there are now, and the costs compared to the music and atmosphere, some still get it right and overall I would say that the oldies scene is still strong, not quite what it was a year or two back ( when TV and film crews swelled the numbers) but then we are all a couple of years older and all nighters every week are too much for us 60yr olds!!

Plus  there are plenty of great nights from 8-1 or so that play classic oldies have a great atmosphere and are a bargain at 4-5 quid.... just look at Grosvenor rooms etc  etc etc

OH and if the post concerns new events playing  rare, underplayed, never heard it before or modern tosh....NO Comment..... but good luck with it.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Peter99 said:

It was quiet in my freestyle room last night. Me, me brother and Little Smith, my legendary, but deceased dead cat, listening in from heaven. 

:yes:

Packed in my classic oldies and monsters room , but it is my hallway so  thank god only one person dancing or it would have been a nightmare :wink:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Where have all the Johnny come lately' s gone ?  Would rather listen in my own front room to music that means something , than to be in the presence of fraudsters  that hijack the Very essence  of my SOUL. 🎶🎶

44 minutes ago, Supercorsa said:

Thanks for answering. 

I don't have much to say on the subject. As I stated I don't attend allnighters, my point was the speculative initial post.

As for my views on nighters, I'm on the outside looking in so to speak. From looking on here and Facebook I can see news and reviews of allnighters, but as you know two people could attend an event and you'd get two opposing views. It's down to the individual whether they like it or not.

With regards views on more current trends, I only have one question. Why the need to start a new allnighter in Bristol when there is already an (established) allnighter in Bristol?

Maybe they will have a different music policy . many have in the past , THANK GOD 🎶

Where have all the Johnny come lately' s gone ?  Would rather listen in my own front room to music that means something , than to be in the presence of fraudsters  that hijack the Very essence  of my SOUL. 🎶🎶

Social source share

Guest Shufflin

looking forward to Cleethorpes weekender, my kind of event, experience a lot of different sounds, live act, with different generations all mixing in (plus fish and chips)

the Rugby events seem really good, not been yet but going off posted playlists and Jud's vids on YT those seem our kind of night, at least musically, so need to make the effort to go

Go Go Children is also appealing music policy wise but maybe a bit far for us

Social source share

1 hour ago, geeselad said:

1.kings Hall, and didn't want to name it, but as you insist 

2. Reportably less than 500 in all rooms, and again didn't want to be specific 

3. I couple of weeks ago

4. Haven't a clue, don't usually go to mainstream northern events 

5.no

6. Because this is a site for conversation. Speculative, well there must be thousands of speculative threads about the nature of or direction of the scene. look at the popular. 'is it time to sell up?' thread for a good example.

I simply wanted a general discussion of current trends in nighters. Really didn't want to be specific Hope you can enlighten us to the facts, and obviously your views on nighter trends are valued too. 

Thanks for answering. 

I don't have much to say on the subject. As I stated I don't attend allnighters, my point was the speculative initial post.

As for my views on nighters, I'm on the outside looking in so to speak. From looking on here and Facebook I can see news and reviews of allnighters, but as you know two people could attend an event and you'd get two opposing views. It's down to the individual whether they like it or not.

With regards views on more current trends, I only have one question. Why the need to start a new allnighter in Bristol when there is already an (established) allnighter in Bristol?

Social source share

2 hours ago, geeselad said:

1.kings Hall, and didn't want to name it, but as you insist 

2. Reportably less than 500 in all rooms, and again didn't want to be specific 

3. I couple of weeks ago

4. Haven't a clue, don't usually go to mainstream northern events 

5.no

6. Because this is a site for conversation. Speculative, well there must be thousands of speculative threads about the nature of or direction of the scene. look at the popular. 'is it time to sell up?' thread for a good example.

I simply wanted a general discussion of current trends in nighters. Really didn't want to be specific Hope you can enlighten us to the facts, and obviously your views on nighter trends are valued too. 

Let’s see if we can can add facts among the ‘speculation’ 

Geeselad responding to totally decent and sensible questions from Supercorsa. In turn answered by someone who was there  

1. Thanks for the plug. 

2. You weren’t there. Numbers were higher  

3. Feb 17

4. You didn’t go.....hopefully our response clears up any mystery?

5. No......great answer. 

6. Funny how the Kings Hall Stoke got singled out? Go figure. 

Thanks for deep interest in the All Nighter which has now run for 22 years. 

Heres the 2019 dates for advance planning:

APRIL 6, JULY 27, OCT 5 

Next up the All Dayer May 19

• Up vote 2
Social source share

My take for what it’s worth, still the country’s best attended nighter (500 plus) no pun ! 

I actually find stoke refreshing, especially when Andy Dyson drops unissued one off sounds next to absolutely incredible underplayed sounds like The Facinations ! 

Two rooms, plenty to go at from 70s floaters from Soul sam and Ted Massey playing straight from the heart.

Add a pinch of Latin and top draw sounds from Sean, and experienced dj Chris King and John Poole plus guests making waves like Mick and the all nighter favourite Daz Dakin makes for hours of quality.

I am sure there are really enjoyable nighters all over the country, but Stoke is and remains a firm favourite.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

We are big fans of the allnighter scene.  For the price of £10 to £15 for 9-10 hours of top northern sounds, we think it's good value for money.  We went to Kings Hall Stoke this February (been many times) and it was very well attended and a top night it was too.  There is always a great variety of DJ's playing a wide range to please everyone at all these events.  Obviously the people who attend allnighters enjoy it and those who don't have no reason to comment - or you could just turn up and find out first hand.  Nuneaton, Swinton, Queens Hall Derby and Blackhearts, Nottingham are all on in March for your pleasure!

• Up vote 3
Social source share

2 hours ago, Goldsoul said:

Let’s see if we can can add facts among the ‘speculation’ 

Geeselad responding to totally decent and sensible questions from Supercorsa. In turn answered by someone who was there  

1. Thanks for the plug. 

2. You weren’t there. Numbers were higher  

3. Feb 17

4. You didn’t go.....hopefully our response clears up any mystery?

5. No......great answer. 

6. Funny how the Kings Hall Stoke got singled out? Go figure. 

Thanks for deep interest in the All Nighter which has now run for 22 years. 

Heres the 2019 dates for advance planning:

APRIL 6, JULY 27, OCT 5 

Next up the All Dayer May 19

Thanks for settling those points. It was a topic of conversation in the car on the way to a night out last night and so topical and relevant and I think it's already proved a popular talking point. I hope the King's lasts forever personally, obviously still a Mecca for many and has played an essential part in the survival of the scene. If some of the tourists have gone and. there's more space to dance this van only be a positive for the punter

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest Tony Colbourne

For me the worst thing about Niters is mixing NS, RnB and disco modern on the same floor. There are endless number's of great Northern records that are overlooked or ignored. Playing overplayed tunes is fine for new comers but it's very disappointing to travel to a venue and hear mixed genre's on the same floor. Two rooms always worked well in the past with full on Northern on the main floor. I know many people love Rugby, it's the only Niter I ever wanted to leave. Glow sticks and whistles just don't cut it for me so I stay away. To me such venues are all nite night clubs and not Niters in the northern soul sense.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Tony Colbourne said:

For me the worst thing about Niters is mixing NS, RnB and disco modern on the same floor. There are endless number's of great Northern records that are overlooked or ignored. Playing overplayed tunes is fine for new comers but it's very disappointing to travel to a venue and hear mixed genre's on the same floor. Two rooms always worked well in the past with full on Northern on the main floor. I know many people love Rugby, it's the only Niter I ever wanted to leave. Glow sticks and whistles just don't cut it for me so I stay away. To me such venues are all nite night clubs and not Niters in the northern soul sense.

Lucky it was only glo-sticks and whistles. Last event I was at, there were people in their sixties wearing light-up shoes for christs sakes. Makes you sit back and wonder WTF we've become. Or some of us have become. Once upon a time, we were the coolest of the cool. Walking Gods. Truly special. Now? Glo-sticks. FFS!!!!!!!

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Joey said:

Lucky it was only glo-sticks and whistles. Last event I was at, there were people in their sixties wearing light-up shoes for christs sakes. Makes you sit back and wonder WTF we've become. Or some of us have become. Once upon a time, we were the coolest of the cool. Walking Gods. Truly special. Now? Glo-sticks. FFS!!!!!!!

That's not a glo-stick.  This is a glo-stick.......

LED-Marshalling-Wands-Glow.jpg.4097cf8fa9c688f12828cd5c62dac409.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

That's not a glo-stick.  This is a glo-stick.......

LED-Marshalling-Wands-Glow.jpg.4097cf8fa9c688f12828cd5c62dac409.jpg

😂😂now that's a PROPER glo-stick. Unfortunately, now that you've popularised the type, don't be surprised to see them being waved around at an event near you soon! 

Social source share

21 hours ago, Tony Colbourne said:

Disco modern? Bloody hell that's a view from 1980/81 - nearly 40 years ago. What's your definition of great Northern records that are overlooked or ignored?

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 02/05/2018 at 20:34, Joey said:

😂😂now that's a PROPER glo-stick. Unfortunately, now that you've popularised the type, don't be surprised to see them being waved around at an event near you soon! 

I remember going to Blackpool Mecca where people had coloured torch extensions and wore a belt that was around your waist and also went up and over a shoulder. Wasn't my thing but did enjoy at the time seeing The Crown Heights Affair live.Lol .All the best to Joey and Regards to you all. Fred.

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Mr Fred said:

I remember going to Blackpool Mecca where people had coloured torch extensions and wore a belt that was around your waist and also went up and over a shoulder. Wasn't my thing but did enjoy at the time seeing The Crown Heights Affair live.Lol .All the best to Joey and Regards to you all. Fred.

Ha, funny, but that just reinforces my view about what was done to the Highland Room post 1974. They turned it into a bloody disco. My final visit there, (1976?), saw me so disgusted, that I went downstairs and had a far better time in the main ballroom with all the holidaymakers etc. 

Keep well buddy, and enjoy the weekend! 

Social source share

2 hours ago, Joey said:

Ha, funny, but that just reinforces my view about what was done to the Highland Room post 1974. They turned it into a bloody disco. My final visit there, (1976?), saw me so disgusted, that I went downstairs and had a far better time in the main ballroom with all the holidaymakers etc. 

Sounds more like an s an m party than the paradise garage. Lol

• Up vote 2
Social source share

22 minutes ago, geeselad said:

Sounds more like an s an m party than the paradise garage. Lol

From 75/76 onwards, the place bore no real resemblance to what it was like in 72/73. I think the only thing I recognised was the sodding carpet! Once upon a time, Levine and Curtis had the Highland Room at the very cutting edge of the NS scene. Too many classics broken there for me to begin remembering. The place was flat out awesome. In just a couple of years they turned it into something else entirely. Some were more than happy with this, and more, like me, weren't. C'est la vie. Things never stay the same, but we still have the memories.

Social source share

• 5 months later...

We were there on Saturday, first visit for a year, we had noticed numbers declining over the previous couple of years, but there didn't seem to be less there than 12 months ago. One other observation, may seem oddball, but over recent years the the 'dancers' seemed to be outnumbered by  the 'drinkers' (or those who just sit there). On Saturday, there seemed to be a higher % of attendees dancing, if that makes sense. Maybe the numbers are 'boiling down' to the remaining 'hard core' !!

On a more positive note, we enjoyed the night, two big name DJs , who , in our opinion usually disappoint did great sets, avoiding overplayed and nasty pop records in the main.

Need to ensure we don't leave it 12 months before we go again.

Tim & Christine.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 09:15, Timillustrator said:

Apologies for reviving this thread but on a Facebook forum someone is saying they went to Stoke this month and the floor was empty, numbers down etc. Is it just a regular "bash Stoke" post or is there a trend?

when I started the thread it was a genuine attempt at gleaning people's experience on the subject and certainty not exclusive to stoke

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 09:38, Joey said:

Well yes. Levine took it in his direction. A mistake indeed, but CC's last hour plays were and are still the benchmark for what's now known as crossover or chill out music. What do they say about memories - you can't take that away from me? The whole Levine Hate thing kicked off, but the NS scene carried on.

Social source share

21 hours ago, KevH said:

Well yes. Levine took it in his direction. A mistake indeed, but CC's last hour plays were and are still the benchmark for what's now known as crossover or chill out music. What do they say about memories - you can't take that away from me? The whole Levine Hate thing kicked off, but the NS scene carried on.

really kev, I know a lot of great 7ts were played in the last hours but Crossover style sounds?

Social source share

1 hour ago, geeselad said:

really kev, I know a lot of great 7ts were played in the last hours but Crossover style sounds?

Crossover - mmm, each have our own version of it (Chuck Stephens, Carstairs, Ann Sexton). Many hours have been spent on here trying to explain exactly what it is......maybe I should have said, non traditional northern sounds.? The Mecca changed the boundaries of where the scene was heading, eventually. Some folks hated the last hour and took them years to get to grips with it.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, KevH said:

Crossover - mmm, each have our own version of it (Chuck Stephens, Carstairs, Ann Sexton). Many hours have been spent on here trying to explain exactly what it is......maybe I should have said, non traditional northern sounds.? The Mecca changed the boundaries of where the scene was heading, eventually. Some folks hated the last hour and took them years to get to grips with it.

Fair play it certainly played a massive part in evolving the sound. 

Social source share

On 25/02/2018 at 16:25, Supercorsa said:

I'm not an allnighter attendee, but I have some questions.

1. Which allnighter was it?

2. What was the attendance figure?

3. What date was it?

4. Were there other allnighters on the same night?

5. Did you attend?

6. Why start a topic on speculation rather than facts?

I find topics like this bemusing,  it's all spurious rumour mongering. Same as all those old topics about venues that may or may not be playing boots. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!