Who was in The Exits?

Joesoap

Does anyone know the names of the members of the group, The Exits of 'Under the Street Lamp' and 'Another Sundown in Watts' fame?

(I just got one of their records and there's a signature confidently and flamboyantly written on the label but not at all dechiperable. So I want to see if it could be possibly be one of them. Looks like 'Guitar' or Julian' or 'Lucifer' or 'Lucian'...Lol! Different every time I look at it!)

Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Lots of history within that group. Jimmy Conwell of course  everyone knows and loves . 

Godoy Colbert - probably best known for his Revue 45 "Baby I Like It" -  had an interesting career too. He apparently went on to join the Free Movement who had a big pop and rnb chart hit with  "I've Found Someone Of My Own".

" A native of Crosset, Arkansas, he was a founding member of the early 1950s rhythm and blues vocal group, the Pharaohs. Together with two friends, Robert Harris, and Noel Collins, the Pharaohs were formed out of the Jefferson High School in Los Angeles, in 1954. They are probably best known as the backing band of singer Richard Berry, with whom they recorded the 1957 hit single, "Louie Louie." The recording which was originally written in 1955 by Berry was based on The Rhythm Rockers version of composer Rene Touzet's "El Loco Cha Cha", and somewhat based on Chuck Berry's "Havana Moon." The single first became a minor regional hit for the group, and then a more major hit for them when the Kingsmen recorded a more raucous version of the song in 1963. Colbert's very distinctive voice opens the song with the famous "duh duh duh duh-duh" sounds. After the success of "Louie Louie" the Pharaohs toured for sometime and Richard Berry eventually left the group to pursue other options. After the departure of Berry from the group, Colbert and the Pharaohs did a series of singles for the DelFi Record Label, and more performing. It was soon after this that Colbert and the Pharaohs themselves decided to call it quits and disband. Colbert went onto perform with such musical acts as The Exits, the Afro Blues, the Visitors, the Kuf-Linx, and Free Movement who had a Top Five pop and Top 20 R&B Billboard Music Chart hit with the 1971 single, "I've Found Someone Of My Own." He also sang successfully as a solo artist. In 1996, for the first time in 30 years the original members of the Pharaohs including Richard Berry reunited for a special concert put on by the Southern California Doo Wop Society. A year later Richard Berry died from a heart attack. Colbert himself passed away in Sacramento, California, from several forms of cancer including liver, colon, and prostate on July 17, 2002. He was interred in Inglewood Park Cemetery."

24236762_120163481272.jpg

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

16 hours ago, the yank said:

The Exits were Jimmy("Cigarette Ashes")  Conwell, Godoy Colbert, Esko Wallace, Lous (Louis? ) Hendricks and Charles Colbert .

Lous Hendricks and Charles Colbert were also in The Trips on Soundville. Jimmy Conwell went on to Smoked Sugar, Godoy Colbert went on to Free Movement but was also in The Visitors on Tangerine with Esko Wallace. All of them had previously been in R&B/Doowop type groups.

Maybe your signature was Lous ? That's about the closest.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!