Ty Karim - Lightin' Up Romark or Car-A-Mel

Please can someone tell me which is the original and which is the most rare, the Car-A-Mel or the Romark issue.

I have a stone mint Car-A-Mel copy that I bought from a US dealer about 15 years ago but have not seen one for sale for ages. Currently there is a Romark copy on ebay that has been bid up to a huge price. Is it really worthy that much?

Social source share

Ok so I have to own up to being a twat! I didn't realise that they were two different records.

Anyway I glad that I have the Car-A-Mel one because having just listened to them both "Lighten Up" is by far the better record (IMHO)

Thank you all for your input and especially to Dylan for putting me on the right track

Social source share

20 hours ago, sheep said:

Too slow then too slow now! nice soul record nevertheless.

if you look at it from the norvern sole perspective then yes its too slow.. just a shame thats all the scene is about again....the speed ...and i dont just mean the pace of the record here.....its dissappeared back into its embryonic state from the mid 70s..sad to see whats become of it

Edited by dave pinch
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

2 hours ago, dave pinch said:

if you look at it from the norvern sole perspective then yes its too slow.. just a shame thats all the scene is about again....the speed ...and i dont just mean the pace of the record here.....its dissappeared back into its embryonic state from the mid 70s..sad to see whats become of it

Yes, was looking at it from the nothem stool perspective. The scene is a lot more soulful these days and you get hear sounds that would never have reach the deck back in the 70s, but at which point does it no longer come under the heading of n sole, we can each draw our line of this one.

Social source share

1 hour ago, sheep said:

Yes, was looking at it from the nothem stool perspective. The scene is a lot more soulful these days and you get hear sounds that would never have reach the deck back in the 70s, but at which point does it no longer come under the heading of n sole, we can each draw our line of this one.

it kinda stopped being northern in the early 80s for me when we had everything it was the rare soul scene...and in one room too at lots of venues ..new releases  70s  and then crossover and beat ballads came into it..lots of variety northern reared its head probably around 2000 again with the returnees and newbies and just gathered strength to what is basically a retro scene now with one pace..just as i see it mind

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Agreed, nostalgia scene for people who never there in the first place. I just say  these days I like 60s black soul music, don't say northern anymore. The ones who I come across  who dress up and say they are proper norther fans, I tend avoid,  especially when there understanding of the music is limited to f wilson and h Melvin. But the fun bit is listening to them talking about the origin of the scene and getting mostly wrong

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Definately a 'rare soul' scene for me and better for it.  Of course the uptempo northern that was start of the journey for most of us still holds really fond memories but the scene is so much more now and the variety of music on offer is what makes it for me personally. Ty Karim being a prime example as well as things like Willie Tee - Teasin' you again and other in a similar vein.

Adam

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 minutes ago, sheep said:

Agreed, nostalgia scene for people who never there in the first place. I just say  these days I like 60s black soul music, don't say northern anymore. The ones who I come across  who dress up and say they are proper norther fans, I tend avoid,  especially when there understanding of the music is limited to f wilson and h Melvin. But the fun bit is listening to them talking about the origin of the scene and getting mostly wrong

I’ve always been reluctant to use the word Northern when talking about soul music due to the fact of a lot of the crap that’s been played over the years. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Wheelsville1 said:

I’ve always been reluctant to use the word Northern when talking about soul music due to the fact of a lot of the crap that’s been played over the years. 

Yes i can relate to that.  The dreadful records that always get mentioned when somebody hears you are into northern.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!