2nd pressings. how do they affect original press value?

Relatively recently I've bought new releases I've liked and which have had a limited production run. These records were not specifically made for the Northern scene but have caught on and become wanted items that have changed hands for many times original value.

Some have been repressed relatively quickly, sometimes on a different label and usually with a different "b" side.

I realise that 2nd pressing of classics does not usually diminish the value of originals, indeed it may even help to increase value through wider exposure etc.

Kent Select and Town releases don't seem to have affected the value of original 100 club records. 

It will be interesting to see whether these contemporary records keep their value.

Specifically,  I 'm thinking about, Smoove and Turrell - I can't give you up - Club Tikka,  re released on Jalapeno.

Benjamin and the Dream dancers   - light of my life - Palmetto St, due for another repress.

Any thoughts?

Social source share

Guest Shufflin

As a buyer of similar new music (as well as Northern/Modern) I don't think it will impact value, not in the long run anyway, 'cos collectors / OVO DJ's will still want the 1st press in nice condition

I wish they wouldn't repress them though

Social source share

Below is info about a repress from Benjamin himself, on a wants thread from January.

Hello from NYC everybody! 

popped in to give a Benjamin update. Light Of My Life is getting a repress that will arrive along with a NEW 45 in the spring. A full length LP will follow in the summer and i suspect i'll be seeing you all in the flesh very soon after that. 

i did make an LP in 2015 called Arriving. it's more in the modern soul / boogie lane. 

https://benjaminofcherries.bandcamp.com/album/arriving

as always i am THRILLED with the support of the northern soul scene! 

Ben

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Ha ha, just going to say exactly the same thing although I paid 25 off a good lady who knew I'd cocked up my order on release ( tech not my strong point ) she could have sold it that night easily and got 100.  Good people are still around, cheers, pete

Social source share

None of these new artists are recording tracks in order to create mini rarities for a tiny niche market , they want to sell as many copies as possible just like every other recording artist that has ever stood before a microphone.

If their initial pressing run sells out what are they supposed to do , wait around until some unscrupulous individual boots the 45 , hell no , they will rightly order a second pressing run , and if needed a third or fourth to follow.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

4 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

None of these new artists are recording tracks in order to create mini rarities for a tiny niche market , they want to sell as many copies as possible just like every other recording artist that has ever stood before a microphone.

If their initial pressing run sells out what are they supposed to do , wait around until some unscrupulous individual boots the 45 , hell no , they will rightly order a second pressing run , and if needed a third or fourth to follow.

Thank you , someone who gets this music making thing, without profit recorded music ends.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
7 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

that's what happened to the Grace Love 45, don't think it got a repress but it did get booted

they sell mp3's of the tracks (many more than the singles I'd guess), not just the 45 but I understand where you're coming from - selfish collector side of me just wishes they wouldn't repress but it's an unreasonable thought ;-)

Social source share

On 3/1/2018 at 08:44, RC166 said:

Cheers,

I searched and found the post,

I  got mine for 110 GBPs,six months ago, a period that you could only find it in US for 250+ US Dollars

I got mine at Northern Lights record store in Brooklyn about six months ago for $10. Maybe they got more? (I thought they had a couple copies)

Social source share

I live in Cali - was just in NYC and was gonna hit them up again but didn't have time.

I got KILLER gospel there last time - cheap! ...my only complaint about the store was when I was in there the guy behind the counter was playing a beautiful copy of "since I found..." by the metros and I was like "how much?" and he was like "it's not for sale!" and I was like "then why are you playing it in a record store! play that shit at home if you're not willing to sell it!"

Edited by ljblanken
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!