Jean Carter Like one

Not meaning to 'stir the pot' so to speak but I recently had a demo and sound quality on it was fine. So while demos are generally accepted as having lesser sound quality - it doesn't apply to all of them.

I know that probably hinders more than helps but don't discount all demos out of hand - there are some 'good' ones out there....or 1 at least :D

Social source share

These were pressed at two Decca plants. Gloversville NY and Pinckneyville IL. 

Pinckneyville used a ◆ symbol at the end of the b-side master number.

Gloversville used a ✤ symbol at the end of the b-side master number.

It would be interesting to find out if one of the plants was responsible for the poor quality pressings and the other for the better ones.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, garethx said:

These were pressed at two Decca plants. Gloversville NY and Pinckneyville IL. 

Pinckneyville used a ◆ symbol at the end of the b-side master number.

Gloversville used a ✤ symbol at the end of the b-side master number.

It would be interesting to find out if one of the plants was responsible for the poor quality pressings and the other for the better ones.

Thanks for that Gareth:thumbsup:

My demo has the ✤ (as below) and sounds fine, although my wife claims I'm deaf:huh:

I checked on youtube and found 2 posts by John Manship of the different pressings. To me, the one with the ✤ sounds better than the one with ◆. However, as mentioned, I am selectively deaf.

Gene C.jpg

Edited by bo diddley
Social source share

17 hours ago, Tony Smith said:

The MCA repress had the same fault, so I think it’s not down to stampers/ and pressing plants a flawed master recording, unlike the copy Ady C. found which has a different vocal take and much better mix

Just compared Tone and it's the backing vocals that are different and it's about 12 seconds longer. The tape we used on the Kent LP-Footstompers or Floorshakers was a good one of the 45 version

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!