Dave Godin / Mick Jagger

DG always had great taste in music. Around summer 1985, I skipped off work over a lunchtime & went to listen to him talk about soul music at a Sheffield museum. Chatted with him afterwards & gave him a tape of some new tracks Lou Ragland had just sent me on a 12" test press.

About a week later, I got a letter from Dave saying how much he loved one of the tracks (MAKING LOVE) .... time moved on & even though it was still a very rare track , it became a top anthem on the London 2-Step scene  (1990) ...  

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

On 3/8/2018 at 21:30, ady croasdell said:

Funnily enough Dave was worried the Deep Soul Treasures would be a big flop and we’d lose on it; so much so that he refused to have a compilers fee for it. 

The series is just about our most successful commercially and artistically 

Ady, is this late 68 proposal (detailed in Record World), the label that eventually (some months later) emerged as Deep Soul Records ??? ....

SoulCityOct68.jpg

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Some people unhappy to see Rolling Stones (white rock act) covering Blues originals

But hey ho - here Jimi Hendrix (black rock act) covers a Blues (Muddy Waters) original.

Same logic? Or different?

I am comfortable with both.

Anyone else?

Social source share

Hendrix, like Cream Zappa, Beefheart and Santana, were at the intersection of blues and jazz which created rock (if you believe Cream were the first great British rock group. If you reckon the Stones, Who, Kinks and Yardbirds (and even the Beatles) were rock, then the above all took it up a bunch of gears).

Cream are a really good example cos it was the coming together of Claptons blues fanaticism and the jazz of Bruce and Baker. Hendrix loved Albert and Freddie but also Roland Kirk; then took the whole thing into outer space. 

Social source share

On 7 March 2018 at 09:38, stevesilktulip said:

You said something about Jaggers millions!!!

If something -music, book, film - is only relevant at a particular time, it can't have been very good. I listen to music from the 20s and 30s which still sounds relevant today, (I read books from even further back).

I doubt very much if you've seen more live acts than me, and certainly not across genres, though I don't watch pop/rock/and roll. This despite you being a good bit older, something I'm not actually sad about I have to say.

Fabs, Stones, Van, Who, Kinks, Rod, Elton, Bowie etc etc etc have all been forthright in acknowledging their influences and I'm not necessarily blaming them. It's the media who've turned all these black artists into the people, without whom, we'd never have had the Beatles and the Stones, like that's what they were for.

Peace and tranquility, I think perhaps you have anger management issues.  

The music that I love and have grown up with always as a relevance to me it's part of soul and who IAm today, I am also well read in books and life's experiences as regards myself having anger management issues I can assure you I don't in fact I made a good living for over 45 years sorting people out did, you do come across I'm afraid as passive aggressive, anyone who thinks somebody who wished peace and tranquility on them had anger issues must have underlying problems, It seems to me that your pretty much obsessed with millions of pounds I haven't got that problem, Not only have I been seeing acts since 1963 I was involved in the Night club industry for over 40 years actually looking after the artists security wise so if you have seen more live acts than me good on you but I very very much doubt it , I've also lived with the brothers , Danced with the brothers and been told by the brothers that I am a brother in the USA and other foreign climes but this article is about Mick Jagger and Dave Goddin not me and you LoL

Take it easy and have a great day things might be better tomorrow

kind Regards ML

Social source share

Everybody has to start somewhere, Jimmy Hendrix picked a lot of his showmanship from Little Richard when he was in his backing band although he was a great guitarist Jimmy had problems with being punctual Richard ran a tight band like James Brown and had to sack him Otis Reading picked a lot of his abundant talent from being in Richards band, So you can say everybody to a certain extent models themselves on who they admire till they find their own identity if they do, some never do . Rolling Stones did with their kind of Rock,and it made them ultra famous , it wasn't for me but good on them, What the Rolling Stones did do is bring to the attention of if you weren't a one off ,a great number of blues artists, and a belly full of RNB stars, There was no internet or world communication like their is now so they helped Stars in the USA get credited for what they had originally invented great music , in 1963 64 I was one of the only kids in my school who had heard of Solomon Burke , Irma Thomas , Athur Alexander, Valentinoes, Ike Turner Revue, all because of my interest in the Rolling Stones I looked behind the curtain and liked what I saw, the Stones really admired those artists and helped them in Britain and in some cases resurrected their careers in the USA  they put their own stamp on Chuck Berry,s Come On, and the Valentinos it's all ove Now.

Getting back to the subject of Mick Jagger and Dave Godin L oL, Mick Jagger is still alive and kicking making girls pregnant and everything else what famous people do and along with the rest of the stones who are still alive as nobody ever thought of asking him and the rest of the stones their take on the relationship I'm sure they would be big enough to tell you especially Keith Richard who is straight forward kind of guy 

kR

Mick Lyons

Social source share

Many on here seem to have used this thread to take unnecessary pops at DG .... I'm loath to give them further ammunition to vent their misguided opinions ... BUT ... found this on-line ... the incident I highlight dates from March 67  ... when did Dave start using KEEP THE FAITH ??? ........

WLLE1967Feb6b.jpg

Social source share

36 minutes ago, Roburt said:

Many on here seem to have used this thread to take unnecessary pops at DG .... I'm loath to give them further ammunition to vent their misguided opinions ... BUT ... found this on-line ... the incident I highlight dates from March 67  ... when did Dave start using KEEP THE FAITH ??? ........

According to a French blog in 1975 a series of comps called "Keep the Faith" was released on UK Joy Records:

image.thumb.jpeg.eac7d65a35d5e3700f3bfccf9bcdfc90.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e72520e7517dd1f80897786b4fd6af2d.jpeg

Would be interesting to know who was behind this - the whole series was focused on mid to late 60s soul.

https://soul-quinquin.eklablog.com/various-artists-keep-the-faith-vol-1-joy-records-joys-223-uk-a119343050

Social source share

47 minutes ago, Roburt said:

WLLE1967Feb6b.jpg

He knew it was a well-known black US phrase and adopted it for his own column.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Roburt said:

WLLE1967Feb6b.jpg

DG was perfectly entitled to use to use the phrase "Keep The Faith". It's a biblical quotation and therefore anyone can use it: The famous line from Timothy which has given rise to three well known phrases: Paul -  "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith"..

Also I'm pretty sure the phrase "Right On" came from Shakespeare though I can't  remember which book. again no copyright infringement.

Edited by maslar
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

53 minutes ago, maslar said:

DG was perfectly entitled to use to use the phrase "Keep The Faith". It's a biblical quotation and therefore anyone can use it: The famous line from Timothy which has given rise to three well known phrases: Paul -  "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith"..

Also I'm pretty sure the phrase "Right On" came from Shakespeare though I can't  remember which book. again no copyright infringement.

And can we throw "and then some" in at this stage of the proceedings and wrap it all up?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

No matter how strange and/or controversial his views were to many, or how odd some of his faveourite records were, such as The Crow, DG did a monumental anount of work to put Soul music on the map here. His was always the first column i read in Blues and Soul and i suspect many on here were the same. The man is a legend.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Has anybody got first hand knowledge of 'the records' he requested his staff to play to the 'Northern lads who come to buy Northern Soul' whilst presumably on their way to a football match in London?

By the way, I've no idea what 'box' The Crow fits in. Totally unique, great to dance to, but there is more soul in the Flasher.............

Ed

Social source share

I know DG hated the way the Stones ripped off Irma Thomas songs ... meaning she had little or no profile herself in the UK. Much of their early success was based on them taking ownership of songs like "Time Is On My Side" & "Pain In My Heart" (adapted from "Ruler Of My Heart"). They built their reputation on such songs.

For a guy who was passionate about soul music getting it's proper recognition here in the UK and who had Irma up there as just about his fave act, the Stones getting plaudits for their rip-offs must have been very galling.

BY THE WAY (linking to another current thread), the Stones also ripped off Alvin Robinson's "Down Home Girl" in similar fashion (their version being completely naff & a total wishy-washy insipid copy).

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

23 hours ago, Mickey Finn said:

According to a French blog in 1975 a series of comps called "Keep the Faith" was released on UK Joy Records:

image.thumb.jpeg.eac7d65a35d5e3700f3bfccf9bcdfc90.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e72520e7517dd1f80897786b4fd6af2d.jpeg

Would be interesting to know who was behind this - the whole series was focused on mid to late 60s soul.

https://soul-quinquin.eklablog.com/various-artists-keep-the-faith-vol-1-joy-records-joys-223-uk-a119343050

I bought all three volumes when they were released in early 75, from a record shop in darkest Portsmouth. (Was in the Navy at the time). Had to preorder them, and then go back to pick them up two weeks later. All three discs have exactly the same cover, save for the typeface and border colour. All three discs are also exceptional in their content. Lots of stuff previously issued or re-issued on UK Stateside, Direction, President and other labels. I used to use them for DJ-ing so as not to damage/wear my 45s. Would scan them and upload, but gave them all away last year to Keith Ogden of Ashton-u-Lyne as a 60th b-day pressie, along with all my other remaining LPs. Quite rare now, especially as a full set of three. I did see one volume for sale at £25 or thereabouts recently, so a near mint complete set must be a ton and up.

Social source share

JOY was part of the President / Jay Boy set-up (their discount label). So, it shouldn't be a surprise that these NS comp 'KEEP THE FAITH' LP's (featuring many cuts already put out on Jay Boy) would have been put together & released by the company.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Guest MBarrett
54 minutes ago, Roburt said:

the Stones also ripped off Alvin Robinson's "Down Home Girl" in similar fashion (their version being completely naff & a total wishy-washy insipid copy).

Can't buy that Roburt. Sorry. I give them both 8.5/10 in their respective styles and genres. Those original Stones were a COOL and talented bunch of musicians. IMHO. :)

Social source share

6 hours ago, tomangoes said:

Has anybody got first hand knowledge of 'the records' he requested his staff to play to the 'Northern lads who come to buy Northern Soul' whilst presumably on their way to a football match in London?

By the way, I've no idea what 'box' The Crow fits in. Totally unique, great to dance to, but there is more soul in the Flasher.............

Ed

Seriously?  the crow has way more soul than that pap. Just cause its got an acid rock influence doesn't mean it ain't got soul! 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!