Man /Woman or just confused?

Guest themroc

Guest themroc

Tracking down a Gale Garnett tune I'll Cry Alone,  convinced it was a male singer, only to find out he was a she??? Happened a few times before but in reverse, anyone else have a similar problem?? And no reminiscing about Thailand :huh::g::wink:

Anyhoo found this in my "research" (honest darling), probably the cheeseyest music video I've seen. ENJOY!! 

Social source share

Guest themroc
14 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

I cry alone, Used to have a black RCA issue, very underrated track. ( bought it off my late mate Gary Beattie R.I.P )

Steve

Great tune mate. 

Social source share

Guest themroc
7 minutes ago, shufflin said:

when I first heard this I thought it was a female singer

Great artist, superb tune. He always sounded so young, his version of Fever is awesome. 

Social source share

Guest themroc
2 hours ago, AlanB said:

I thought The Vals had a female lead for years after buying it. 

Great, great, great!! In the 60s high falsetto voices were all the rage. Billy Stuart, Horrace Andy, in Jamaica, to many to the point of being a bit sickly but fair play this tune hits the spot. Not never heard it before and so another quest begins :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest themroc
3 minutes ago, josep manuel concernau robles said:

Is not a soul but boogaloo / salsa male singer with a "female" flavor, the great Héctor LaVoe:

And Cila Cruz, like Aretha Franklin always sounded a bit like a man? Great tho love it. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest themroc
1 hour ago, MGM 1251 said:

I always thought that THE INVERTS “time will change” (Broadway),was a male lead vocal....as for BIG DONS REBELLION “ it was true “(ethon)....ain’t got a scooby on that one,despite the record being a one of my favorites...:g:...

I think the Lonely Lover side by the Inverts really sounds feminine, would dearly love that tune. 

Social source share

30 minutes ago, themroc said:

I think the Lonely Lover side by the Inverts really sounds feminine, would dearly love that tune. 

You’re right there bud,also picked it up on TOWER,with the brilliant “look out love”on the flip....”lonely lover”sounds very TIMI YURO’ish, dark smokey  vocals...brill....

Edited by MGM 1251
Social source share

On 05/03/2018 at 08:20, MGM 1251 said:

You’re right there bud,also picked it up on TOWER,with the brilliant “look out love”on the flip....”lonely lover”sounds very TIMI YURO’ish, dark smokey  vocals...brill....

Sherry from the Inverts,was married to Herman Griffin. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest themroc
2 hours ago, ljblanken said:

always thought "Tut" was a woman (but someone here posted a pic of him)

Man or Woman, what a great arrangement and those horns?!? 

Social source share

Guest themroc
On 06/03/2018 at 14:27, ljblanken said:

always thought "Tut" was a woman (but someone here posted a pic of him)

Just found a copy on John Manship's site £10,000!!!:ohmy: But what a tune. 

Social source share

On 3 de marzo de 2018 at 14:39, themroc said:

Great artist, superb tune. He always sounded so young, his version of Fever is awesome. 

Superb! The work Ronnie Dyson did with producer Thom Bell is my favorite by him. There's a FEMALE singer who, IMHO, have the same voice, Sheryl Henry from the group South Shore Commission. You can appreciate it on their cover of "Any Day Now". Who sounds more "male" or "more female"...?:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest themroc
43 minutes ago, josep manuel concernau robles said:

Superb! The work Ronnie Dyson did with producer Thom Bell is my favorite by him. There's a FEMALE singer who, IMHO, have the same voice, Sheryl Henry from the group South Shore Commission. You can appreciate it on their cover of "Any Day Now". Who sounds more "male" or "more female"...?:

Almost to painful to listen to. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, josep manuel concernau robles said:

Who sounds more "male" or "more female"...?:

It gets even more confusing on "Free Man" where the male and female singer go back and forth with the lyrics! 

Edited by the yank
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest themroc
35 minutes ago, DaveNPete said:

Eskew Reeder/Esquerita - one time boyfriend (supposedly) of Little Richard and sometime female impersonator.

MY DAYS!!! All I hear is heartbreak. Like Jackie Shane how hard must it have been? It's like reading Iceberg Slim for the first time. 

Social source share

• 3 months later...

Jerri / Jerry Jones started out in the music biz in Cleveland. She was a woman who dressed as a man. She MC'd / sang / joked, etc. Moved down to Miami & teamed up there with Jerry Williams. Made friends with the Jamericans in the area & then moved again, to Jamaica. With the hatred of gays on the island, she had to dress as a woman there ... had a UK 45 release of a 4 Tops cover that she'd cut on the island ... 

JerryJonesMont.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!