John Abbey

Guest Spain pete

John always championed Tyrone Davis , in fact he sold me the Homewreckers album on Dakar import back in 74 , it was his recommendation of the week, always loved his enthusiasm  on my jaunts to hanway st .👏🎶🎶

12 hours ago, Eddie Hubbard said:

Ok I’ll ask him Julian , there is hardly anything about Soul Music on his page , which is criminal and a shame I think .He must have so many stories to tell .Heard a great radio show a while back ,where he explained how he used to call up artists like Tyrone Davis for interviews , from a pay phone ,frantically putting in money ,and trying to make notes in the cold .

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Same as Eddie,  b\s and echoes yes,  but hot buttered soul was just a great album by Issac Hayes don't remember a mag of that name  , enlighten me please amigo ? 🎶🔆

Social source share

21 hours ago, Eddie Hubbard said:

He says he doesn’t recall it Julian , but he did so many shows with Major Lance apparently. I went to see him at Cheltenham in about 74 ,but he didn’t turn up .Eventually caught him live at Hinckley early 80’s .Cheers Eddie 

OK, thanks for asking

Julian

Social source share

• 2 months later...

So there i was reading John Lias vol 2 Spinning Around -and John Abbey pops up as one of the producers on a Tami Lynn -'Love Is here and now you're gone'(LP). Others in the producer line-up were Jerry Wexler, Wardell Q, Brad Shapiro,and Bert Berns.

and i quote ( from the book) "John Abbey is in exalted producer company on Lynn's one proper album, whch came about as a result of her surprise Northern Soul driven UK hit 'I'm gonna run away from you'".

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!